Influences

Ya, Paul, Listening to "Gothic" one night and Nick Holmes is an awesome vocalist. For me, anyway on that album. I'm heading off to the "Annual Blues Fest" here in Pittsburgh in a short while. And will be seeing Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush and roadhouse warrior Delbert Mclinton. I always loved Marinos guitar playing, maybe the 4th time I've seen him. What are your thoughts on Frank, Larry?
Never hear anyone mention Marino:headbang: Him and Robin Trower are both very underrated.

Pestilence Were the shit for sure!!!

Cool thread. Funny, how alot of us, myself included draw from a lot of that whole early 90/s late 80's metal pool.

Bolt Thrower were also one of my tops.

No King Diamond huh? He was always a love em or hate em type of guy anyways.

Ohh and the new Candlemass is freaking brilliant by the way!

I love King Diamond, I listen to KD and Mercyful Fate both quite a bit. He's always had some great guitarists (Shermann, Denner, LaRocque, Wead, Drover, etc.) whom I admire alot. I'm not sure how much of a direct influence those bands are/were on my writing and playing style, particularly in Nov. Doom. Though come to think of it, I can remember writing a guitar solo section in my old doom band Dead Serenade that was quite obviously borrowed from the Andy LaRocque style of playing. So I suppose it's in there, within me. It's just something I hadn't really consciously thought about!

I love players like Frank Marino, Robin Trower, Uli Jon Roth, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy Page (especially his acoustic work), etc. All of those late Sixties, early Seventies rock guitarists are my favorites. People who know me personally know that the whole 1970s sound and style is really a big part of my "thing", as it were. You'd think that I'd be a bigger fan of the whole Stoner-rock genre...and while I do like some of those bands alot, on the whole I find that genre to be far too repetetive and narrow for my tastes. I mean yeah yknow, it's cool to want to emulate "Snowblind" and "NIB" but Sabbath were also the same band who wrote "Changes", "Its Alright", "Planet Caravan" and other songs that had nothing to do with fuzzy guitars and huge stompin' drum beats.

One band I didn't mention that I really need to mention too, on the subject of 1970s influences, is THIN LIZZY. One of my favorite bands of all time, the guitar playing in that band was always superb. I know that other bands who've influenced me (i.e. Trouble, Candlemass, etc.) would also cite Thin Lizzy as an influence on them. When I watch and listen to old live Thin Lizzy stuff, especially the Gary Moore/Scott Gorham era of 1978/79, it makes my hairs stand on end. I wish I had an ounce of the style and flair that Scott Gorham had.

When Gary Moore launches into his solo roughly around the 4:27 mark, it's just fucking vicious. Jesus fucking christ, lol. It's not "technical", it's just biting-yet-smooth rock and roll guitar playing, and I love it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AgST27FIzNg

Oh and I've always been a big fan and very inspired by bands like Yes, King Crimson, and Deep Purple. I've listened reguarly to these bands since I was about 9 or 10 years old. I'm certain they've had an influence on how I write and play. I only wish I were half as talented as they are!

I love King Diamond, I listen to KD and Mercyful Fate both quite a bit. He's always had some great guitarists (Shermann, Denner, LaRocque, Wead, Drover, etc.) whom I admire alot. I'm not sure how much of a direct influence those bands are/were on my writing and playing style, particularly in Nov. Doom. Though come to think of it, I can remember writing a guitar solo section in my old doom band Dead Serenade that was quite obviously borrowed from the Andy LaRocque style of playing. So I suppose it's in there, within me. It's just something I hadn't really consciously thought about!

I love players like Frank Marino, Robin Trower, Uli Jon Roth, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy Page (especially his acoustic work), etc. All of those late Sixties, early Seventies rock guitarists are my favorites. People who know me personally know that the whole 1970s sound and style is really a big part of my "thing", as it were. You'd think that I'd be a bigger fan of the whole Stoner-rock genre...and while I do like some of those bands alot, on the whole I find that genre to be far too repetetive and narrow for my tastes. I mean yeah yknow, it's cool to want to emulate "Snowblind" and "NIB" but Sabbath were also the same band who wrote "Changes", "Its Alright", "Planet Caravan" and other songs that had nothing to do with fuzzy guitars and huge stompin' drum beats.

One band I didn't mention that I really need to mention too, on the subject of 1970s influences, is THIN LIZZY. One of my favorite bands of all time, the guitar playing in that band was always superb. I know that other bands who've influenced me (i.e. Trouble, Candlemass, etc.) would also cite Thin Lizzy as an influence on them. When I watch and listen to old live Thin Lizzy stuff, especially the Gary Moore/Scott Gorham era of 1978/79, it makes my hairs stand on end. I wish I had an ounce of the style and flair that Scott Gorham had.

When Gary Moore launches into his solo roughly around the 4:27 mark, it's just fucking vicious. Jesus fucking christ, lol. It's not "technical", it's just biting-yet-smooth rock and roll guitar playing, and I love it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AgST27FIzNg

Oh and I've always been a big fan and very inspired by bands like Yes, King Crimson, and Deep Purple. I've listened reguarly to these bands since I was about 9 or 10 years old. I'm certain they've had an influence on how I write and play. I only wish I were half as talented as they are!

Prog. :kickass:

^^
You my friend....have excellent taste in music. Cowboy Song has always been my fav.Lizzy song and Trower and Marino are on your list as well. Once you get deep into Yes and King Crimson's catalogue you can expand your mind and eventually your tastes. It worked for me. Listening to King Crimson and Camel for instance helped me enjoy Opeth and bands like Green Carnation's "Light of Day,Day of Darkness" even more. Your influences of 70's classic rock and prog are almost identical to mine.

I am glad someone here mentioned King Diamond.
I can see why many would not first think of KD / Fate when speaking about influences, since obviously King's voice is what immediately stands out.

I am not a guitar player, but I have always thought Andy LaRoque was one of the most underrated players in metal.

He shines throughout the new King D album.

Always good to see that lots of folks here have varying tastes in music. I do too as well.

I am not sure how many people such as myself have Godflesh next to the Goo Goo Dolls in their collection!!! :lol:

^^
You my friend....have excellent taste in music. Cowboy Song has always been my fav.Lizzy song and Trower and Marino are on your list as well. Once you get deep into Yes and King Crimson's catalogue you can expand your mind and eventually your tastes. It worked for me. Listening to King Crimson and Camel for instance helped me enjoy Opeth and bands like Green Carnation's "Light of Day,Day of Darkness" even more. Your influences of 70's classic rock and prog are almost identical to mine.

I grew up listening to Yes, KC, Camel, etc. I was very fortunate to have aunts and uncles who were in their late teens and early 20s when I was a lil' kid, and my earliest musical memories are of listening to stuff like Yes' Relayer and King Crimson's In The Court of the Crimson King (I remember being scared of the album cover haha), etc. I definitely can understand your comment regarding appreciating those bands as well as Opeth, because I know that those bands were an influence on Mikael. One of the last times I spoke with him, we talked for quite a while about our mutual interests in stuff like Yes, King Crimson, Camel, as well as our affinity for stuff like Pestilence, Possessed, Dark Angel, and early 90s, late 80s Swedish DM. Again, I have to say without intending any sort of pretension, I think if there's any similarities between what we do and what Opeth does, it's because we grew up being influenced by the very same bands and stuff. Although I make no claims whatsoever as to being anywhere near as talented as Mike and co. Like I said before, I think Opeth are a great band. How can I not like them? They are into all the same stuff as I am! LOL We even both worship David Coverdale, but thats a whole 'nother story hahaha

Glad you're such a Lizzy fan, as I am. Tell me that Gorham, Robertson, and Moore aren't some of the most tasteful motherfuckers to ever play guitar? :kickass:

Jasonic, speaking of eclectic and varied tastes.....I'm looking at my cd shelves right now, and starting with the "A' section, I see...Abba, Absu, Adam and the Ants, Alice Cooper, Amorphis, Anathema.....and believe me these are all cds which I have listened to many many times! I love music so much, why on Earth would anyone chose to only listen to a small tiny portion of what is out there? There's only two kinds of music- good music and bad music. And it's up to each person's individual tastes to decide what that is, for them alone.

Agreed. Every year, I explore more and more into other genres that I was previously not as familiar with.

If I envision my CD rack correctly, I think I have Novembers Doom surrounded by Nocturnal Rites and the Obsessed!

Hahaha.. Now I don't feel so bad for my Goo Goo Dolls next to Godflesh...

This one isn't TOO crazy, but still eclectic...

At the Gates... Bad Religion... Black Sabbath

OK, Larry mentioned that the other band member may chime in with this thread, and I think this is a great idea to set the influence record straight, so here's mine. As I respect and love a lot of great vocalists, there were only a very few people who REALLY influenced me. Most were more inspiration.

Duane Rasmussen (Devastation [Chicago]) - Duane was one of the first vocalist I heard in this style, way back in the mid 80's. The video I posted was from 1987. He simply blew me away, and it was the first spark to my thoughts on a vocal style. I loved the brutality of his voice, and knew it was an element I wanted to capture.

Troy Dixler (Sindrome) - Sindrome possibly had the biggest impact on me. When I heard their demo "Into the Halls of Extermination" and heard Troys voice, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Troy always had a great aggression in his voice, but was always so clear and audible, I knew I needed to work as hard as I could to pronounce every lyric as clearly as possible. Troy is the reason my growls are understandable. No other singer had the same impact on me as he did, and it's a total shame this band never went on to stardom. Keep the time frame in mind, Sindrome was THE greatest demo band in the world. They recorded at Mossissound in Florida, at a time when only bigger bands like Morbid Angel and Obituary could afford to go there. They were FAR ahead of their time. Rumor has it, Troy was in the same room with Chuck Schuldner when they were both handed contracts. Death signed, Sindrome held out for something bigger. They had offers from just about every metal label in existence, but they wanted a major, and held out too long. It pains me to think what they could have done. They did however tour with Death for the "Scream Bloody Gore" tour.

Jorgen Sandstrom (Grave) - Jorgen wasn't so much an influence, as an inspiration. I was already into the growling when I heard him, but listening to his deep tone, he raised the bar for me, and I strived to be that "heavy." When people ask about my voice in interviews, I always say I strived to be as heavy as Jorgen, and as clear as Troy, and for me it worked.

Nick Holmes (Paradise Lost) - Another inspiration, Nick's voice on "Lost Paradise" and "Gothic" was exactly what I was working at achieving. I never set out to copy Nick's vocal style, it just so happens my direct influences and what I attempted to do ended up sounding so close to his voice, it's assumed he was a direct influence. Nick was amazing back in the day, and again, the quality he had made me work that much harder at my style.

Dan Swano (Edge of Sanity) - What's not to say about Dan? I had already found my style when I first heard Dan, but here is another case of someone setting the bar so high, I knew guys like this were out there, and if I wanted to be be taken seriously, then I had to push myself to get there. I'm so thankful for guys like Dan, who have really made me push myself because of how good they are.

Eric Wagner (Trouble) - Such a huge influence on me. Not in vocal style as much as presence, and the feeling in Eric's voice. In my opinion, one of the the very best metal vocalists of all time, as well as the most under appreciated bands in the world. This band should be Metallica huge. If you don't know Trouble, do your ears a favor, and get to know them!

Jim Morrison (The Doors) - What I always loved about Jim Morrison, wasn't his vocal ability. There are certainly better "singers" out there, but what he for me was a style, and so much feeling, I never cared if he was sharp, or flat on a note. He had a gift where he captured your attention, and drew you in, and you got lost in his performance. To me, he will always be the greatest front man the lived. So many have tried to copy Jim, but no one ever will.

Thomas Jensen (Saturnus) - I remember clearly, being in the recording studio recording our second CD "Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers" and getting a copy of "Paradise Belongs to You." It had just come out, and I had brought it with me to the studio to play for the engineer to use as a reference for my spoken vocals. Thomas has the greatest spoken voice in metal. It's so heart felt and passionate, I wanted to capture that same "feel" in our music. I always think of his style when I record, even now. If you want to hear the most blatant form of "influence" from Thomas, listen to "Silent Tomorrow" from "The Knowing." Christ, I should be sued I ripped his style off so badly!

Didn't know about the whole story of Sindrome..it's been pure waste of talent!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Paul and I could easily do just a thread about Devastation, Sindrome, and the other local underground bands who were an influence on us back in those days. Unfortunately most of those bands don't have clips to post so that everyone can hear them.