Influences

Yeah, Paul and I could easily do just a thread about Devastation, Sindrome, and the other local underground bands who were an influence on us back in those days. Unfortunately most of those bands don't have clips to post so that everyone can hear them.

That's the price of doing things in the '80s :lol:

Were you in one of those bands before joining ND?

No I wasn't in any of the bands mentioned in this thread. I've been playing in bands for over 20 years though, I played in a doom/death metal band from 1991 to 1995 called Dead Serenade. We made two demos and then disbanded. Long story. Most of the DS members played with ND at one point or another, though.
I played in a technical speed/thrash metal band called Neurotoxin from 1991 to 1996 as well. Again, several demos were done, some appearances on compilations, etc., but that's about it. Joe Nunez, drummer for ND, was in that band with me as well.
Besides that I played with a bunch of miscellaneous other metal and non-metal bands.

Chicago area bands that I would deem as being influential or inspiring to me would be Devastation, Sindrome, Contagion, Maimed, Trouble, Tyrants Reign (actually I did play with these guys for a short time), Salems Cross, Znowhite, Zoetrope, Lethal Injection

Zoetrope!!! HELLZ YEAH!
Glad to see them mentioned...
"Are you a member........of a gaaaang!?!?!?"
Those guys were local heros when I was getting into more underground metal in the mid 80s.

Larry - speaking of influences, have you picked up the LOST TRACKS OF DANZIG? I know you are a 'Fits fan, wasn't sure if you grooved to his other projects as well. I got it. I listened to it for the first time. Some great gems on there.

No I wasn't in any of the bands mentioned in this thread. I've been playing in bands for over 20 years though, I played in a doom/death metal band from 1991 to 1995 called Dead Serenade. We made two demos and then disbanded. Long story. Most of the DS members played with ND at one point or another, though.
I played in a technical speed/thrash metal band called Neurotoxin from 1991 to 1996 as well. Again, several demos were done, some appearances on compilations, etc., but that's about it. Joe Nunez, drummer for ND, was in that band with me as well.
Besides that I played with a bunch of miscellaneous other metal and non-metal bands.

Chicago area bands that I would deem as being influential or inspiring to me would be Devastation, Sindrome, Contagion, Maimed, Trouble, Tyrants Reign (actually I did play with these guys for a short time), Salems Cross, Znowhite, Zoetrope, Lethal Injection

Very interesting curriculum! Moreover the name Neurotoxin is fantastic!!

About Chicago bands: that is the great advantage of having a great country/city/state/whatever area..this place will surely produdce many good experiments and realities.
Is Chicago a big city, isn't it?

Very interesting curriculum! Moreover the name Neurotoxin is fantastic!!

About Chicago bands: that is the great advantage of having a great country/city/state/whatever area..this place will surely produdce many good experiments and realities.
Is Chicago a big city, isn't it?

Chicago is a big city, yes. But you'd be surprised how difficult it still is to find the proper musicians to jam with, especially if your tastes and interests are a bit more varied like ours tends to be. But we've been very fortunate to have the musicians we've had come through the ranks.

Neurotoxin was a very different band from ND. Like I said more of a technical, progressive speed/thrash metal type of thing. Actually if you locate the "Whats For Dinner" cd compilation that Pavement records put out in 1996, there's a Neurotoxin song on there, as well as a Novembers Doom song! You can find copies of this comp cd on Ebay for like, really cheap.

I think there's a young metal band from California called Neurotoxin out now. No idea what they're like or anything.

Chicago is a big city, yes. But you'd be surprised how difficult it still is to find the proper musicians to jam with, especially if your tastes and interests are a bit more varied like ours tends to be. But we've been very fortunate to have the musicians we've had come through the ranks.

Neurotoxin was a very different band from ND. Like I said more of a technical, progressive speed/thrash metal type of thing. Actually if you locate the "Whats For Dinner" cd compilation that Pavement records put out in 1996, there's a Neurotoxin song on there, as well as a Novembers Doom song! You can find copies of this comp cd on Ebay for like, really cheap.

I think there's a young metal band from California called Neurotoxin out now. No idea what they're like or anything.

I'm still looking for the perfect musicians' country, everyone seems to be unsatisfied with its own! :lol: Many people say California is, btw, the best place to do music especially with varied tastes as you could be.

Metal-archives tells that there is the californian NT that plays a strange kind of heavy metal and another Neuro Toxin from Las Vegas that split up and played thrash.

The Neurotoxin I was in is listed there, too. It says it's based out of Indiana, which would be the correct one. Try searching for "Neuro Toxin". Or if you want more info and stuff, check out www.myspace.com/neurotoxinchicagoland. And yes I realise this stuff sounds outdated and crap, lol, I was like 18 and 19 when I wrote those songs!

I don't find it sounding old..good stuff. One of the many things that never came out of the underground..sadly..

I can see Willie doing a reunion show. But a tour?

And he'd be like "Play with Nunez again? Crap."

Yeah, Willie and Joe wanting to kill each other is another reason I wouldn't do a reunion :lol: Besides, unless you really have something creative to say, then what's the point of reuniting a band that went nowhere in the first place? If Willie wanted to go into the studio and do a proper recording of all the old material just to have it, I'd participate in that at least.

And getting back on track with the main point of this thread, I gotta ask.....where is Vito? Tell him to put down the game controller and participate in this thread!! Let's see and hear who his main influences are.

Nick Holmes (Paradise Lost) - Another inspiration, Nick's voice on "Lost Paradise" and "Gothic" was exactly what I was working at achieving. I never set out to copy Nick's vocal style, it just so happens my direct influences and what I attempted to do ended up sounding so close to his voice, it's assumed he was a direct influence. Nick was amazing back in the day, and again, the quality he had made me work that much harder at my style.

My respect of ND just went up, heh....

I always thought ND sounded a bit like Castle, especially your debut, but then I doubt you heard of Castle, a obscure death/doom band from The Netherlands, their first demo I think is from '91....

Edit: But, I guess this can be all in my head, hahah....