Another unscientific amp comparison! (Sig X, JCM900, DSL100)

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Here's another comparison. Remember, this is just for fun! I'm not trying to objectively state that any amp is better or worse than any other. Anything I say below is just my opinion. So please bear that in mind before you criticise!

Ordering is: Sig X, JCM900, DSL100 - for both sets of examples.

This newer set of recordings is with my new JJ's in the Sig X also.

All the high-gain examples are much closer this time around. I tweaked the amps a bit longer to try to get them as close as possible. I'd comfortably use any of these amps live or in the studio for high-gain rhythm tones. They all sound great to my ears. The JJ's have brought out some highs, but have also brought out some low-mids. Consequently, whereas I used to use the blow mode on the lead channel for rhythms, I can now use the Brit mode to some success too.

You'll hear that the DSL and Sig X both distort easily on the clean channel, as we've all discussed to death in the past!

What was surprising to me though is that the JCM900 has less tendency to distort like that, which given the 'opampy' nature of the circuit, I wasn't expecting. I think overall I disliked the Siggy clean tone the most, followed by the DSL100.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liking the 900 best here, and I find it interesting (though I guess not surprising) how similar they all sound (I've always felt changing cabs has a much bigger impact than heads); to me it's like a sliding scale, with the SL-X being too furry and middy and the DSL a bit too brittle and bright, with the 900 right in the middle.

This is speaking only of the rhythm parts; the cleans, I dunno, they're cleans, I don't flippin' care :lol: (also, I must say I would consider your playing in the clean parts to have a very light touch, too much so for my tastes, so it's harder for me to judge)

Liking the 900 best here, and I find it interesting (though I guess not surprising) how similar they all sound (I've always felt changing cabs has a much bigger impact than heads); to me it's like a sliding scale, with the SL-X being too furry and middy and the DSL a bit too brittle and bright, with the 900 right in the middle.

Yup! They're definitely all very similar.

This is speaking only of the rhythm parts; the cleans, I dunno, they're cleans, I don't flippin' care :lol: (also, I must say I would consider your playing in the clean parts to have a very light touch, too much so for my tastes, so it's harder for me to judge)

haha. Well, I do play that particular progression softly, if you've heard the original song - ISIS - C.F.T. (New Circuitry and Continued Evolution) - you'll know the part is pretty mellow.

But what's interesting is the way the chords distort with each amp. The Sig X distorts WAY too early... I'm playing the progression pretty softly as you say, but even then, the peak of the chords just distort - in an unpleasant way imho.

The JCM900 sounds fat.

I don't play all out and out metal. I don't put a TS in front of the amp, and I try to get three distinct levels of aggression - the soft clean parts, with plenty of reverb and delay usual, the crunchy stuff which I can put effects in front and get massive textures, and then a brutal high-gain sound.

Cool that you spent time to get the amps to sound similar, while still preserving their own character. I agree completely with Marcus' sliding scale feel, cause I had the same sentiment when listening to them in order.

I liked both the 900 and the DSL. The 900 cause it provided a nice midground between it all here, and the DSL because that typical sound in the clip is what I have liked about DSLs when playing them. It is a pretty bright amp, but unlike some other amps, I really LIKE that characteristic on them. It has something direct and agressive about it, which just works for some styles. By the way, I prefer the classic crunch channel on the DSL with a heavy boost in front over the lead channels. It does require heavier string-digging, but it has something organic about it that I love.

I didn't really love the clean channels on any of them, but like you've mentioned, that is not what they are best at. It could still sound pretty cool with some delay I'm sure! And personally I don't mind a bit of breakup in cleans when played through marshalls :)

Thanks for the test!

900 sounded best imo. Very balanced compared to the others, like the other fellas stated.