ANTHRAX Bassist: 'There's No Bitterness' Toward Former Guitarist DANNY SPITZ

swany76

May 4, 2008
Todd Matthy of Examiner.com recently conducted an interview with ANTHRAX bassist Frank Bello. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Examiner.com: Rob [Caggiano] is no longer your guitarist and left to focus on producing. Is there a chance he'll produce the next ANTHRAX album?

Bello: I have no idea what we're doing next. I don't look that far ahead. This thing is coming out March 19th so that's the last thing I'm thinking about. When you write a record it takes on a life of it's own and you figure out what songs are good for it and who you want working with you on it. So, first we'll have to write and hear the songs, then see what fits.

Examiner.com: Is there an open invitation for Rob to come back?

Bello: I can't tell you what we're doing right now because we haven't talked about it and I haven't heard the songs we're going to write, but I'm open to it. I know we're going to write a record this year, but after that, I have no idea what we're going to do. I know we're really happy with what we've done with Rob in the past. I love Rob. We all love Rob and we know he's a producer, that's his love. He's still my friend and lives only fifteen minutes from me so I'll still see him.

Examiner.com: It's the anniversary of "Among The Living" and you're going to be playing the full album live [on the upcoming tour]. Any chance Danny Spitz will return?

Bello: It's crazy. I've got to start learning those songs again. We've got Jon (Donais from SHADOWS FALL) doing the whole leg. The great thing about this kind of stuff is it's an easy call, Jon's a great player, he knows all the songs well, and we get to hang with a good guy.

Examiner.com: Did you try to get in touch with Danny?

Bello: Honestly, we went right to Jon. We had a couple of other people in mind that we wanted to talk to, but Jon made the most sense. We love Danny, but it made sense for us to get Jon. There's no bitterness toward Danny, we're all friends. He just sent me a Christmas card.

Examiner.com: Going through as many lineup changes as you have, what's it like bringing a new member into the ANTHRAX family? How does the make up of the band change?

Bello: ANTHRAX is ANTHRAX. We are who we are. The music dictates everything. I don't think you have to adapt. We're pretty adaptable. As long as the songs are being heard and played right, we're good. It's not thought out that much; you just do it and you have a good time. I know I'm lucky to be making a living playing music and I don't look farther then that. It's a good hang; we have a good time on the road with good people and just enjoy the ride.

Read the entire interview from http://www.examiner.com/article/ny-metal-music-examiner-interview-with-anthrax-s-frank-bello

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186913

It's a good hang; we have a good time on the road with good people and just enjoy the ride.

I think that's what it should all be about.

Danny sent Frank a Christmas card? I wonder if he sent one to Scott.:)

Something tells me Spitz will be part of the next new album, even if its just to play some solos. Anthrax could certainly use that for publicity purposes.

ANTHRAX is ANTHRAX. We are who we are. The music dictates everything. I don't think you have to adapt. We're pretty adaptable. As long as the songs are being heard and played right

This says it all.

Something tells me Spitz will be part of the next new album, even if its just to play some solos. Anthrax could certainly use that for publicity purposes.

Stuff that. If you're going to do something, do it for the right reasons, not publicity. The band is in the best place it's been in business-wise for 20 years anyways. Get a new permanent lead player and move forwards. It's not 1987 anymore.

I'm not sure how Charlie, Frank, and Scott saying Dan isn't coming back isn't definitive.

Stuff that. If you're going to do something, do it for the right reasons, not publicity. The band is in the best place it's been in business-wise for 20 years anyways. Get a new permanent lead player and move forwards. It's not 1987 anymore.

You mean move forward like going out and playing the entire Among the Living album from beginning to end? :devil: