Anthrax stayed at the hotel I work at.

Simon Moffat

New Metal Member
Dec 17, 2003
For the recent North West Indiana show, Anthrax stayed at the Holiday Inn Express where I'm employed as an night auditor. No one else at the hotel had any idea who they were (they just thought they were some small time band I guess), so when I started my shift at 11:00 PM, there was nothing mentioned to me that Anthrax had checked into the hotel. So oblivious to the presence of Anthrax being hotel guests, a little after 2 uneventfull hours into my shift I saw this guy walk by me at the front desk that looked a lot like Scott Ian.

I said to him, "Hey, you look familar, like Scott Ian from Anthrax". He acknowledged that he was. It was very bizzare moment for me. Up until he walked into the hotel from the cold Indiana night, my mind was steadily cruising along at 100 MPH concentrating on my hotel work, then all of a sudden after Scotts entrance, my mind went from 100 mph to a screeching halt within a split second. In that short time span of a few seconds I probably came as close as I'm ever going to get to having a surreal experience. From my stupor I managed to murmur something about Among the Living being one of the best albums I've ever heard.

Just before Scott entered the elevator, he said "thanks". Then a minute later he came back down because his room key wasn't working. I apoligized and made him another room key. He was very polite about it.

Charlie came in a little while later followed by the rest of the band and road crew. Rob came down to the breakfast bar area and I offered to make fresh coffee. I didn't know who he was because I haven't kept up with the band that much. Although due to his mohawk haircut, I kind of figured he was probably in the band. I've seen them twice on tour. Once was the Clash of the Titans tour at the Cow Palace with Megadeth, Slayer, and Alice in Chains and another time at the Cow Palace when they opened up for Iron Maiden (Anthraxs latest album at the time was Persistance of Time if I remember correctly). After the relase of The Sound of White Noise, I didn't keep up with the details of Anthrax as much.

Frank asked me if the hotel had an internet connection he could use and I unfortunately had to tell him no. I got a chance to say hi to him and speak for a few moments. He was also a very down to earth and polite person just like everyone else in Anthrax. To give you an example of how humble he was, he asked if it was ok to take a few cinnamon rolls from the breakfast bar and bring them on the bus for the band and crew to eat. Of course I said yes and offered to give them as many trays as they like. He said he doesn't want to be greedy, just enough for everyone to have one and he thanked me for cinnamon rolls.

The next day we had our hotel staff Christmas party. It was a total of two hotels having it at the same time. At the dinner table one of the ladies I work with said to my Manager "Did you hear the exciting time Simon had last night?" My manger looked at me and said, "No?". I blurted out, "Oh...we had Anthrax at the hotel last night!". My managers face contored into a very worried expression and then asked a little to loudly, "Anthrax at the hotel???". An uncomfortable silence fell over the nearby area and everyone started looking at me. I explained "Anthrax the heavy metal BAND stayed at the hotel." For a few moments my manager along with a few others thought we had some sort of dangerous Anthrax outbreak at the hotel.

Simon Moffat said:
The next day we had our hotel staff Christmas party. It was a total of two hotels having it at the same time. At the dinner table one of the ladies I work with said to my Manager "Did you hear the exciting time Simon had last night?" My manger looked at me and said, "No?". I blurted out, "Oh...we had Anthrax at the hotel last night!". My managers face contored into a very worried expression and then asked a little to loudly, "Anthrax at the hotel???". An uncomfortable silence fell over the nearby area and everyone started looking at me. I explained "Anthrax the heavy metal BAND stayed at the hotel." For a few moments my manager along with a few others thought we had some sort of dangerous Anthrax outbreak at the hotel.

:lol:
Welcome to the board!

the_walking_dude said:
howdy dude.nice story. How come u stopped following Anthrax after SOWN

I was becoming an adult and had more stuff going on in my life. When I was a young teenager, I had a lot of spare time to be really be into music. Not just passivly listen to it, but to live, eat, and breath it. I used to listen to Among the Living, Megadeths So Far, So Good, So What, and Metallica's Ride the Lighting and Master of Puppets all the time.

I didn't stop listening cold turkey, I just sort of drifted away thats all. I still listend to Among the Living on a regular basis. I have it on tape in my car. The SOWN is a really great album. Potters Field and Hy Pro Glo song are personal favorites.

If there is one thing that pushed me away from being a metal fan more than anything, it has to be a cancelled White Zombie and Korn (Korn was the opening act) show. A bunch of my friends and myself were just leaving to go to the concert when they announced on a bay area rock radio station the concert was cancelled. We thought it was some type of joke at first by the disc jockey. It was like 1 hour before the concert was supposed to begin. We were all so hyped for the show. The rumor was someone from White Zombie overdosed. It chilled my enthusiasm for metal. I never heard any apology from Korn or White Zombie (whichever band was responsible) on the radio. I can't remember where the show was supposed to take place, but I think it was the Oakland Colliseum.

Some time after this happened White Zombie was disbanded and Rob Zombie played on by himself. So I have a feeling it was someone in White Zombie besides Rob Zombie that caused the show to be cancelled. While I know it probably wasn't Korn's or Robs fault, the cancellation without an apology/offical explanation (maybe I somehow missed it on the radio) left a bad taste in my mouth.

What is a bit ironic is that at San Jose State, I saw White Zombie with Babes in Toyland and the Deftones a couple of months before the cancelled White Zombie/Korn show. Near the end of White Zombies set, Rob starts to make fun of Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. A few weeks previously Eddie Vedder had walked off stage after 3 songs and Neil Young sung the rest of Pearl Jams set. Eddie said he had a sore throat. There was a big stink about Eddie Vedder walking off stage in front of over 75,000 fans. In an attempt to mock Eddie Vedder, Rob said he had a sore throat but he won't walk off stage like Eddie because the fans mean too much. Not those exact words but close enough. To have a White Zombie show cancell a short time before the start numbed me a little to being a heavy metal fan. My judgement might not be fair or rational, but it's honestly how I felt about it at the time.

don't let a white zombie cancellation from year's ago be your excuse to not pick up we've come for you all:Smug:

I am 33, an adult(even though I am the peter pan of tattooed metalheads:Spin: ) and I am more into metal than I was as a kid. Everyone told me I would mellow out with age:tickled:

Welcome to the board!!!

Simon-

I highly recommend you purchasing "We've Come For You All" (new Anthrax).
Most of the people on this board think it's the best thing since "Among The Living" (according to a poll).

Hell, buy it, and if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you. That's my guarantee to you!

Cool story, btw.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. :wave:

I'm glad you guys and gals enjoyed reading my experience crossing paths with Anthrax. It was a very cool surprise that night. Christmas arrived early for me.

I do plan on getting the latest Antrhax album. Perhaps I didn't communicate this well, I still like to listen to Metal, but I'm just not a Metal Zealot like I once was. However I still binge on classic Metal every once in a while.

I understand being pissed about White Zombie. When I bought tickets for the White Noise tour, they were co-headlining with White Zombie. Well, by the time they got to Seattle, White Zombie had just dropped off the tour. Nobody knew about it till we were standing there cheering for them, and the guy from Quicksand had to break the news to the crowd at the end of their set. It was something along the lines of "Uh, yeah White Zombie isn't here tonight because they are working on the Beavis and Butthead album..." or something like that.

What a shitty deal. That was the only time I've seen Anthrax, and while they were pretty good, I would say that they seemed far from happy to be there that night. Dan Spitz stood in the corner and played his solos without moving much, Frankie and Scott were pretty animated but didn't seem in the best mood, Charlie was pretty reserved, and John did his best. It was actually kind of funny: they lost power to the stage during Black Lodge and didn't end up finishing the song. I was glad I went, and the sound was great, but I sure would like to see one of these crazy shows people talk about on this board. I must have watched the Live Noize video 40 times by the time I went to that show, so I guess I had some high expectations.

Ramble on...

Hey Rozy, I saw one night where Joey was a little off because I think he was still drinking. the show was still pretty good though. Shows like that are bound to happen sometime.

jdelpi said:
Did Danny Spitz ever move during the SOWN tours?

That's a good question, and one that I can't answer. It looked to me at the time like he sure didn't want to be there. I figured maybe he got some bad clams at the Pike Street Market or something, hehe. Of course, he got booted from the band shortley after that tour ended, so maybe that had something to do with it. Can anyone shed any light on this?

tattooedsean666 said:
don't let a white zombie cancellation from year's ago be your excuse to not pick up we've come for you all:Smug:

I am 33, an adult(even though I am the peter pan of tattooed metalheads:Spin: ) and I am more into metal than I was as a kid. Everyone told me I would mellow out with age:tickled:

Welcome to the board!!!
hey Simon - cool story. thanks for sharing. I had a surreal experience when I met Anthrax too. I was so excited I got tunnel vision and almost passed out. :lol: but man did I feel stupid.

Sean - I am also in my mid thirties and have a teenage daughter at home. But I am a crazier metalhead than I ever was when I was younger. hehe I guess it just keeps growin on me. I refuse to grow up!!!!:headbang:

Hey Dude. I was at these 2 shows as well.
You do remember correctly. Anthrax was touring for Persistance of Time.
On that tour, Anthrax really gave Iron Maiden a running for their money.
Maiden was on their "no prayer on the road" tour.

-OfficerNice.

I've seen them twice on tour. Once was the Clash of the Titans tour at the Cow Palace with Megadeth, Slayer, and Alice in Chains and another time at the Cow Palace when they opened up for Iron Maiden (Anthraxs latest album at the time was Persistance of Time if I remember correctly).

[
It was like 1 hour before the concert was supposed to begin. We were all so hyped for the show. The rumor was someone from White Zombie overdosed. It chilled my enthusiasm for metal. I never heard any apology from Korn or White Zombie (whichever band was responsible) on the radio. I can't remember where the show was supposed to take place, but I think it was the Oakland Colliseum.

Are you sure it was Oakland? I'm not sure, it could have been, but I
thought it was Candlestick in SF? I heard that Korn had a problem not
Zombie which is why Rob Zombie didnt apologize for anything. Was it
really cold out? If you remember it being cold, it could have been Oaktown,
and if you were stone cold freezin your nutsack off, you're in SF.

What is a bit ironic is that at San Jose State, I saw White Zombie with Babes in Toyland and the Deftones a couple of months before the cancelled White Zombie/Korn show. Near the end of White Zombies set, Rob starts to make fun of Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam.

I remember this show. Back in 95. It'd have to be years ago if you're
mentioning those support bands! right on!

BIGPHAT442 said:
More like, did he ever move in all the time he was in the band????

WAY BACK IN THE DAY......Danny moved!!!! A LOT! And I'm sober right now
so I'm not lyin! Once Charlie and Scott fired Joey B. that was it. Danny
and Joey were the best of friends and was never for it but I guess Scott
and Charlie have executive power.