Any band that no one hates in here?

I've always thought of Blood Fire Death as a Viking metal album though.
As Zeph pointed out, BFD doesn't really have much to do with viking metal except for the two tracks. Surely it is the beginning of viking metal Bathory (and viking metal in general) but saying that BFD is a viking metal album is wrong imo.

Under the Sign of the Black Mark contains some more epic sounding parts, as this was the direction his songwriting was heading in at the time, but really has nothing that isn't black metal, and you'd be hard pressed to actually point out anything on the album that shows otherwise.

Blood Fire Death is Black Metal except for "A Fine Day to Die" and the title track, the former of which is a mix. Besides a couple moments here and there and some lyrical themes, it's not too different from the previous album.

As Zeph pointed out, BFD doesn't really have much to do with viking metal except for the two tracks. Surely it is the beginning of viking metal Bathory (and viking metal in general) but saying that BFD is a viking metal album is wrong imo.

I suppose I'm inclined to agree. As I sit here and seriously think about it, it's Hammerheart that is the true first Viking metal album.

Perhaps it's because I consider Blood Fire Death to be the beginning of the Viking era. However, it seems to me that there are more "Viking" style moments than in just A Fine Day to Die. The title track is very Viking metal.

I hate the term "viking metal". If someone says to me "we play viking metal" i have no idea how it sounds except the lyrics will be some watered out stuff about vikings. I'd rather call Hammerheart and Twilight slow epic heavy metal, that gives you a much better picture.

Agreed. "Viking metal" is a stupid term. It's not very descriptive of the music, and bands that people label "Viking metal" can actually be completely different genres. Hell, I've even heard people label Amon Amarth Viking metal.:lol:

Viking metal has a distinctive sound. Amon Amarth are not Viking metal; neither are Turisas, nor Equilibrium, in my opinion.

The "Viking" metal style utilizes slower drum beats, or "galloping" rhythm parts. It also usually employs slower guitar riffs to suggest an "epic" sound, and can also incorporate choirs into the music (obviously choirs aren't indicative of only Viking metal, but they're usually used again to emphasize an "epic" element).

Bands who I would say play strict Viking metal are:
Einherjer
Thyrfing (although they stray sometimes)
Kromlek
Fjoergyn
Spectral

It's difficult, because usually bands that play Viking metal also incorporate alternative styles into the music; but I believe that it has a distinct sound.

The only bad thing one can say about Morbid Angel is they need to start writing new songs.

I've only head a couple of songs someone sent me by them and it didn't really get me going to be quite honest. I prefer Cancer -Death shall rise album to the Morbid Angel songs I've heard.

Which Morbid Angel songs have you heard? Like any band that has been around for a long time, Morbid Angel didn't only release great albums. Their first three (some would say two) albums are vastly better than the rest of their catalog.

I'm a death metal fan but I can't get into Morbid Angel. I just don't enjoy listening to the older death metal bands such as Morbid Angel, Death, etc. The oldest DM band I like is Decapitated.

But I definitely don't hate Morbid Angel.

Which Morbid Angel songs have you heard? Like any band that has been around for a long time, Morbid Angel didn't only release great albums. Their first three (some would say two) albums are vastly better than the rest of their catalog.

I say four tbh.

I'm a death metal fan but I can't get into Morbid Angel. I just don't enjoy listening to the older death metal bands such as Morbid Angel, Death, etc. The oldest DM band I like is Decapitated.

:err: Shame on you. Seriously. Why don't you enjoy the older death metal bands?

I don't know who hates what, so you can't officially say any of these bands because I hate them (Some with passion):

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath

Don't really like any of them, but Iron Maiden I just cannot stand. I cannot listen to another second anymore. I could, obviously, but I would want to cause suffering on myself because of my tastes.

So you only enjoy well produced, generic death metal? :puke:

Give the old bands a chance, you'll find some real gems.

I really want to lol but I just can't get into them. Although, I have the utmost respect for them because they created the genre and what not, I just don't really enjoy the music.

I've given it many chances, believe me.

Doesn't everyone on the forum explode with joy over Manilla Road for some reason? Don't think I've seen that mentioned.

I'm not really a fan, but since hearing 'Crystal Logic' I can at least say the band isn't terrible. It was the last one out of the 80's records I heard and it seems to be the most focused and solid.

Finally got around to checking out Coroner. Now in the process of kicking myself in the face for not listening to them sooner.

:kickass:

I really want to lol but I just can't get into them. Although, I have the utmost respect for them because they created the genre and what not, I just don't really enjoy the music.

I've given it many chances, believe me.

I never could get into Morbid Angel, but Death is just pure win imo.