Any guilty musical pleasures outside of Metal or HR?

I want the funk! I love 70s rock funk and yes even some disco (A Fifth of Beethoven rocks -nuff said).

80s pop, new wave and rock.

Lenny Kravitz when he does what he should be doing... funk rock.

Prince, see above, plus about anything he did in the 80s. Gold Experience was a monster album and I got to see him live and it was something to see.

Debbie Gibson. :kickass:

I also have an Aquaman t-shirt. :Smokedev:

/drops mic
I'm out.

:headbang:

Nothing More from San Antonio, this band opened for Adrenaline Mob in Nashville and Blew me AWAY! 2 Excellent releases so far.

I have to be in a certain mood to listen to anything non-metal, but some of my favorite non-metal artists are Poets of the Fall, Arctic Monkeys, Loreena McKennitt, Keane, Johnny Cash, and Thrice. I enjoy movie soundtracks too, namely LOTR. I wouldn't consider any of these to be guilty pleasures though.

Outside of metal...

Classic rock, of course. Always been a big fan of The Eagles and America in particular. Also Tom Petty, Journey, Gordon Lightfoot, Springsteen, Boston, Kansas...lots in that area.

Punk Rock- T.S.O.L. (one of my top 5 all-time favorites), Agent Orange, The Misfits, Social Distortion, Strung Out, Screeching Weasel, The Supersuckers, The Riverdales, Green Day, Dropkick Murphys (the first EP and first 2 albums)

Hardcore- Agnostic Front, Iron Cross, Kill Your Idols, H20, Poison Idea, Madball, Cro-Mags

90's stuff- Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc.

Motown, especially The Temptations. One of my all-time favorites.

Some stuff (not much) that I'm not sure how to categorize, like Florence & the Machine, The Birthday Massacre, and in particular a band called theStart. Never been sure what to classify them as. Earlier stuff was kind of electro-punky, later stuff was kind of upbeat dark wave...I dunno what to call it, but for some reason, I've always enjoyed them.

Styx is awesome up to Edge of the Century and during their heyday (imo Equinox to Mr Roboto( were a hit machine. I loved Kansas also, imo they could do no wrong.

My other guilty pleasure which I hadn't thought about till I saw it posted was Dead Can Dance. I love Into The Labryinth and some of thier early stuff had some amazing tunes. Cantara, Fortune Presents Gifts Not According to the Book, Enigma of the Absolute, were all amazing songs.

Edge of the Century is sooo under-rated!!! Fine album indeed..

I don't feel guilty about anything I listen to, but some non-metal stuff I like is:

Dead Can Dance
R.E.M.
Musical Theater
Gregorian (Would love to see them live)
A lot of Hardcore bands
Classical Music
Punk Rock bands

and more

I also like Stone Temple Pilots, especially their first 3 albums. They lost me after that, I guess like most people. I am seeing Scott Weiland in two weeks playing music for the first two STP albums. Hope he is somewhat sober for the show.

I also like Stone Temple Pilots

I don't know I forgot to put them on my list. STP is one of my top 15 or 20 all-time favorites. Can't believe I let them slip!

Another one I should've mentioned is David Garrett. He's a German violinist who does an amazing blend of classical and rock. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys.....Hell, highly recommended for everyone. If you like music, you can, at the very least, appreciate what this guy does.

I do like a fair amount of techno/electronic stuff, mostly video game soundtracks but not exclusively. That's not so much a guilty pleasure for me though, just something out of left field in my musical taste. My real guilty pleasure though...

Eminem. No bullshit. Something about his style and the delivery pushes a lot of the same buttons in me that good metal pushes. I don't really get why, but when I'm in the right mood, "Not Afraid", "Lose Yourself", "Stan", "When I'm Gone", "The Way I Am" and "Like Toy Soldiers" hit me right there. If you listen carefully, he really has a gift for wordsmithing. I even like some of his humorous songs off of his first couple albums, although it seems like lately he's putting much more effort into his serious/confessional songs, and it serves him well.

Goo Goo Dolls, 3 Doors Down, Matchbox 20.

I saw 3 Doors Down this past summer right here in Fredericksburg, along with ZZ Top and Gretchen Wilson. Actually was a pretty good show.

I also saw Bare Naked Ladies the prior summer. Never was a big fan, but damn, they really did put on a very enjoyable show. I was actually quite impressed. I heard they usually do, but I guess I had to actually see one to be convinced.

Power/Progressive heavy metal are still my mainstays, but does not mean that I will occasionally dust off the occasional Moody Blues album, or Toto, or Journey or what-not for a change of pace. Also, do like to occasionally spin my David Arkenstone albums, especially Quest of the Dream Warrior. I'll have to go get the others in that trilogy as well (In the Wake of the Wind and Return of the Guardians)