Any of you guys got mixes with standard E tuned guitars?

thefyn

Jun 3, 2006
There are some awesome awesome down-tuned 7 stringery on the AS forum but hands up who has standard clips and let me hear them.

o_O

When I want some standard tuned awsomeness I usually listen to Evergrey or Mors Principium Est. Between their albums (especially EG's) there's a pretty braod range of tones to reference to.

My band was just talking about tunings last night. I have a bunch of songs in D standard. The bass player was worried because so much modern metal is tuned lower than that, which makes me feel like an old goat.

To me D standard is tuned real low. I would actually be all about just tuning a half step down and staying out of the way of the bass guitar.

Honestly until you get much below A, there is not really a problem of the guitars fighting with the guitars.
Anyway, bands like Meshuggah that down are F (almost an octave below the normal E standard) they just get the bass player to tune up one semitone.
The problem is even less so in the studio anyway.
There's this nifty thing they call a high pass filter;)

When I have a set of heavy strings I will often tune down to F or even lower like Meshuggah but I do think that a stanard tuned guitar has a lot more punch with how it sounds, when it is detuned down to A or F, its just low, not actually bone crushing.

Dissection - Storm Of The Lights Bane and The Somberlain are both E standard and are crushing/evil as fuck.

Just goes to show, it's all about the riff not the tuning.

The fact is, lower you tune, more hollow your sound will be. Some genres benefit from a hollow tone, some not, and unfortunately, low tunings bring tuning and intonation problems with them. This can be of course fixed with a baritone scale guitar, but that sounds like a baritone guitar, a very different tone to a normal scale guitar :(

Dissection - Storm Of The Lights Bane and The Somberlain are both E standard and are crushing/evil as fuck.

Just goes to show, it's all about the riff not the tuning.

one-free-794609.jpg

Massive Dissection fan!