Any tips on recording bass?

eye

New Metal Member
Jan 10, 2003
Visit site
I use my computer to record stuff, and while the guitar sound fine through the headphone jack, my bass sounds like crap. I've been trying to ignore it and go without a bass, but I just finished a death metal song, and it sounds very thin without one. Any ideas?

If you have a processor, see if there is a really "fat" acoustic sound. I did this for my demo, because I didn't have a bass, and noone ever knew that it wasn't a bass at all until I told them. Seriously.

go get what is called a "DI" (direct input) box for bass..it will give you a good bass sound. this is used quite often in pro recording studios.
Bass is one of the hardest things to get right when recording rock..

Yes, a direct box would be best...

The best sound I've gotten from bass is generally plugged directly into a board, or from my preamp output on my head. Either one sounds great, though you do need to do some tweaking... I would assume you're recording direct to your computer, so this wouldn't matter much.

Look into the SansAmp line of direct boxes, many people seem quite happy with them...

Also, compression. Most of the time you will need at least a little compression on you bass for it to sound decent. And yes, a DI box or something helps a lot. Many people use the Sansamp but I went for the Bass POD and am very happy with it.

Yeah, I finally got a compressor, and it seems to help. At least it boosts the volume to a reasonable level, so I managed recorded the bass part to that death metal song today.