Anybody use PC speakers for mixing/playing guitar?

vejichan

Dec 29, 2011
I know most people use studio monitors but do you any of you mix with PC speakers for mixing and playing guitar? which ones are good?
basically i need speakers for playing games/watching movies/music
as well as mixing/play guitars.

I bought some krk studio monitors rokit 6's awhile back and they sound great for playing guitar with plugins but they were alittle harsh and uncomfortable when watching movies/playing games. Also they were tooo big for my desk.
Let me know what you guys can recommend?
thanks

If you think they sound too harsh for watching movies and playing games, you will most likely think they will sound too harsh when mixing too, and this will result in too dark mixes. I had the same thing with Sennheiser headphones and my Genelec monitors when I got them... Made way too dark mixes at first, then with time they got brighter, but I still mix a bit too dark in my opinion.

Definitely not. I use mackie MR8's for mixing/mastering/playing anything, and a set of bose desktop speakers for viddie games/movies etc. Desktop speakers all have a different sound and highly color your audio (especially bose, logitech and sony) which sort of defeats the purpose of a pure listening/mixing/whatever experience. Stick with the monitors for serious stuff, desktop speakers for less serious stuff.

You can mix on any decent speakers (monitors, pc speakers, headphones, etc.... not laptop or ipod/smartphone speakers) if you know their weaknesses. Know how they attenuate or boost different frequencies. Understanding how sounds on your speakers translate to others is the most important part of mixing. Comparing your mixes to reference mixes you already know to sound great helps a lot. I'm not a believer that really high end monitors are necessary or worth the cost... Knowing your speakers is more important. I think this is why a lot of people get by just fine using cheap yamahas.

I know most people use studio monitors but do you any of you mix with PC speakers for mixing and playing guitar? which ones are good?
basically i need speakers for playing games/watching movies/music
as well as mixing/play guitars.

I bought some krk studio monitors rokit 6's awhile back and they sound great for playing guitar with plugins but they were alittle harsh and uncomfortable when watching movies/playing games. Also they were tooo big for my desk.
Let me know what you guys can recommend?
thanks

Turn down the knob labeled "HF FREQUENCY ADJUST" on the rear of the KRKs if you think they sound too harsh. It's possible it could be cranked beyond 0 too, which would probably make them harsh sounding

You can mix on any decent speakers (monitors, pc speakers, headphones, etc.... not laptop or ipod/smartphone speakers) if you know their weaknesses. Know how they attenuate or boost different frequencies. Understanding how sounds on your speakers translate to others is the most important part of mixing. Comparing your mixes to reference mixes you already know to sound great helps a lot. I'm not a believer that really high end monitors are necessary or worth the cost... Knowing your speakers is more important. I think this is why a lot of people get by just fine using cheap yamahas.

I'm asking this out of genuine interest, but have you actually used proper, high-end monitors? The difference is definitely there. It's not just about getting used to your speakers (although I definitely agree that you can get great results with cheap ones if you know what you're doing), but you simply can't make out what's happening in the problematic areas (like the lovely mud region below 400Hz or so) nearly as accurately. When I got rid of my HS80's (which are awesome monitors for the price), I extensively A/B'd them with the Twins, and regarding low-freq accuracy, it's like comparing someone pointing a finger in a general direction to getting precise GPS coordinates to find your way.

I realize I probably sound like a smug fuck, which I apologize, but I felt the same way as you before I got work with good monitors for the first time! :)

I'm asking this out of genuine interest, but have you actually used proper, high-end monitors? The difference is definitely there. It's not just about getting used to your speakers (although I definitely agree that you can get great results with cheap ones if you know what you're doing), but you simply can't make out what's happening in the problematic areas (like the lovely mud region below 400Hz or so) nearly as accurately. When I got rid of my HS80's (which are awesome monitors for the price), I extensively A/B'd them with the Twins, and regarding low-freq accuracy, it's like comparing someone pointing a finger in a general direction to getting precise GPS coordinates to find your way.

I realize I probably sound like a smug fuck, which I apologize, but I felt the same way as you before I got work with good monitors for the first time! :)

I've never used anything like Opals, but I used to own a pair of Adam A7s.... not super high end or anything, but pricey enough, and I really didn't like them much at all. They have a honky sound that I couldn't stand. If I don't like the way ANY of my favorite reference mixes sound on a set of speakers, I know I won't like those speakers, and that's how it was with the A7s. I sold them. I'd rather work on a set of cheap yamahas.

I've never used anything like Opals, but I used to own a pair of Adam A7s.... not super high end or anything, but pricey enough, and I really didn't like them much at all. They have a honky sound that I couldn't stand. If I don't like the way ANY of my favorite reference mixes sound on a set of speakers, I know I won't like those speakers, and that's how it was with the A7s. I sold them. I'd rather work on a set of cheap yamahas.

I feel you on the A7's. I've worked on them and felt exactly the same, and much preferred my HS80's. Rest assured, stuff like 8050's, BM15's and Twins are from a completely different world!

Of course it's always a personal choice with the high-end stuff too, just like it is with the cheaper stuff.

Are there any software/eq that can calibrate and make your PC speakers as flat as possible?

If you want'em as flat as possible, this is the best solution for calibration

steamRoller1.png

That's gonna calibrate them real good :)

I believe windows has some sort of master EQ utility, some soundcards/onboard audio cards have that too. If you want a flat EQ out of your speakers you'll need to "know how they attenuate or boost different frequencies", to quote Josh Burgess.

If you want speakers for both, buy some relatively balanced studio monitors. Many reviews specify how bright or harsh speakers are, choose a pair that are smoother. Also, go try them out for yourself.

Don't use computer speakers for mixing unless you enjoy making a hard job much harder.