Anybody use PC speakers with their set up for reference mixing?

i will only mix on cheap/poor speakers. tuned studio monitors just give a distorted perspective of sound to my ears, and every time i have attempted to use adams/genelec/yamaha/KRK/event speakers the mix comes out horrible on actual real speakers. you know, the ones actual people own and use for their music listening enjoyment.

why not mix everything on the speakers that are actually going to be used to listen to the music on??

if you can make it sound good through laptop speakers or an ipod dock, it will sound good anywhere. there is nothing in the world worse than spending hours on a mix only to have it sound like a fart through a macbook, which lets face, is what 90% of people are going to be hearing the final mix through. i never understood the point of high-quality studio monitors that sound 'better' than anything else.... why would you want it to only sound good in your own personal mix environment?

you could say that i just don't 'trust' studio monitors and find the concept esoteric and generally counter-intuitive and misleading for home recording.

a tuned mixing environment is a whole different beast however, not meaning to dog on decade-old professional production methods from the comfort of my garage; i'm just talking about home recording

You really have to back such a post up by showing us some of your work. I'm not saying it sounds like crap, but you do realize such claims of translating to other listening systems are worthless unless you demonstrate them in practice.

So, clips or GTFO ;)

I only use cans for stereo imaging, getting things panned juuuuust right. But the nicest ones I own are the Sennheiser HD280's and they lack some frequencies, so just can't mix with them.

I have a pair of Logitechs with a sub that I run from my headphone out that I use alongside my reference monitors. I use them for the sub more than anything.

You really have to back such a post up by showing us some of your work. I'm not saying it sounds like crap, but you do realize such claims of translating to other listening systems are worthless unless you demonstrate them in practice.

So, clips or GTFO ;)

This, and you need to take into consideration that not everyone will be hearing the audio through the same exact speakers that you are monitoring with!

I always mix on my $40 computer speakers. They have a sub-woofer, which is usually at moderate levels and have two stereo speakers that have great clarity. The reason I do this is because I listen to music all day off iTunes through these speakers. I know what mixes sound like coming through these speakers so well. I feel like if I started using studio monitors I would have to learn a completely new set of speakers. Also I wouldn't be able to listen to iTunes through them so I wouldn't have a great reference point. I also mix on my Sennheiser headphones cause I listen to a lot of music off those as well. With the combination of both, I can get some good mixes going.

What do you guys think about this? I know it's generally frowned upon but does anyone do something similar?