Anyone cal help me with some Slip edit(Blast beat)

xmortumx

Jun 17, 2008
Quick question guys Im trying to slip edit some drums but i dont know how i can change the notes(i guess for blast 8th notes??) on cubase so that i can edit the blast beat for example the songs are at 220Bpm but how can i change the grid lines so that when blast beats i can align them properly to the faster notes? any help?

Also I was having some issues when tracking with click is there an option on cubase that has like a countdown to start recording? Like for example a quick (1,2,3... that will cue the drummer when to come in.... what i been doing is just having a stick countdown that i recorded but im sure there has to be a way to cue in drummer to start recording.)

First question, no you cannot change the grid in the edit window, unfortunately. Of course this sucks at first, but the more you use it you learn how to work with it. I edit lots of death and black metal with blast beats out the ass on it with no problem, and lots of triplet shit as well - you just get used to it and it's fine. The grid goes up to 16ths one you hit a certain zoom level so just look for every other grid line and there are your 8ths.

Second question:

To turn precount on in Cubase look at your transport:
Picture%204.png

Click on this button next to "Click":
Picture%205.png

The one that is like ||* If it's white, it's on, if it's blue it is off.

To set up how many bars of precount you want, go to this menu:
Picture%202.png

You should see this:
Picture%203.png

From there in the bottom left corner you have your Precount settings.

If your time signature is 4/4 and your precount is set to 2 bars, you will get a total of 8 clicks, if it's set to one bar it's 4 clicks. Likewise if you are using 3/4 and set to one bar of PC then 3 clicks, etc. With this enabled, just set your cursor to the section you want to punch in and hit Record, it will count off and then immediately start recording after that. I would enable Pre-Record so that you don't miss on any early hits. Set that here, in Cubase preferences:

6.png

I use 5 seconds as you see there. So from now on if that is turned on whenever you record anything you will only see where it started recording, but if you drag the beginning of the event forward (earlier) it will reveal 5 seconds of audio that it recorded before you hit Record, handy ;)

Thanks man okay I took a screen pic and I was gonna ask you so i cant change the grid lines so that i can align the snare?

Mixer1.jpg

This is how my project window looks with the grid:

654.png

See I have 16ths visible for every measure? I would go in here and see if you can change the settings so you can see the grid lines easier, I believe I did change something in here to get it like that but it could have been default it's been a long time:

appearance.png

Adjust the Vertical Grid level like I have it (for Project and Edit windows) and see if that helps.

Also, change your settings to this:

event%20display.png

It will help tremendously to see the grid easier. The bottom of the events that say like Tom1, Tom2, etc. will still have the color coding, but the background behind the wave will be transparent, much easier.

Btw, damn I never really looked at how Cubase 5 looks compared to 4... it's really different, I dig it.

Yeah Cubase 5 looks so smooth dude...

Ima try to see if I can change setting so the 16ths are visible.

No luck here getting those 16ths visible for every measure.... anyone know how to set them up on cubase?

Guys... you need to change your Work Area Brightness to a lighter color like in mine. If your grid lines are dark gray and your background is dark gray what do you expect? haha

654.png

Cool I got those line grid a little darker, But now another question i forgot to ask do you guys know why sometimes click's skip? When i was tracking the band at times the click would be playing but then it would stop playing for like a quick beat or to then continue why would that be happening? When the click skips it can confuse the person thats recording and idk if its a setting thats by default