Anyone catch the Sabbat show in Mokena last night?

interesting little side note about flyering at shows...........

I was talking to a co-worker who is in a band last night. We were talking about local acts and how to get your name out....like we were talking about on this board. He told me that Pearl Room told him he had to leave the property because he was handing out flyers for some shows there. He had to go and stand out past the parking lot by the street or they said they would
consider it trespassing. At least Metro and HOB allow you to stand out front and stuff to do this.

I was talking to a co-worker who is in a band last night. We were talking about local acts and how to get your name out....like we were talking about on this board. He told me that Pearl Room told him he had to leave the property because he was handing out flyers for some shows there. He had to go and stand out past the parking lot by the street or they said they would
consider it trespassing. At least Metro and HOB allow you to stand out front and stuff to do this.

It really all depends on how blatant you're being. Being discrete is key at any venue where you're promoting a show for a different venue.

It makes perfect sense though if you're being that obvious. If you owned a store, you wouldn't allow flyers from a competitor in your store, right?

I agree, but he was just stading outside after the show and the security came out and told him to leave. Metro at least lets you stand out by the door to hand them out...a few times I have seen them let people stand in the doorway when it is raining.

With clubs...there is very little competion like a store would have. People are going to come no matter what. A small local show isnt going to hurt you.

The Pearl Room allows you to flyer gigs as long as they're for shows in their venue. They allow you to put a couple of flyers inside the venue as well as long as they are pro looking.
I think it makes sense if they don't let you flyer for other venues though.

The Pearl Room allows you to flyer gigs as long as they're for shows in their venue. They allow you to put a couple of flyers inside the venue as well as long as they are pro looking.
I think it makes sense if they don't let you flyer for other venues though.

I understand that..but being outside handing flyers out isnt going to really hurt any attendence to thier shows. How rare is it too see two metal shows in the same night???

Bob, I see what you are saying.
Though from a business perspective, think about this.
If you were a club owner, would you want to see flyers of another club at your venue?

Sure, in the grand scheme of things, that specific event may not impact whatever was going on at Pearl Room for the same night. But still. Overall, there is advertising for a competitor on their grounds.

Only the lame. :Smug:

Let's seriously talk about this.
Look, when I go to shows, I try to get there for the whole event.
I don't get to go to shows as much as I used to, so I value my show attending experiences, as they only happen a handful of times a year.

Last year, there were VERY few people in the Pearl Room for Thurisaz. Only a handful more came in for Nov Doom and Saturnus. It really wasn't until Martyr that the place started to truly fill up.

As a promoter, what do you attribute this to?
Is it the line up?
Is it the old school attitude of some that opening bands aren't usually anything special so they don't bother showing up?
Is it no ins and outs?

I have seen this happen for almost every show I have ever gone to.

Do you think its anything that can ever change?

How do you get folks to show up for the whole show?

Is the solution in the line up? Is the solution in the acccomodations of the venue? Start time????

This is indeed a serious question, as I myself have had these questions as a show goer, band member, and promoter.

It is true....there really isnt going to ever change. You can have the greatest line up and you will always have your people who are just always late, those who want to avoid the opening acts, and those who do show up early to get a good spot. I think even if you booked three incredible acts and left it alone with no openers other than those three acts....the same thing would happen, just maybe not on such a bigger scale.

Yeah, good point. You see this even with amazing lineups.

Also, I guess some people look at going to a show as nothing different than going to a bar, and never appear before 10PM.

This subject seriously fascinates me on many levels.

Is it a lost cause? Can it be changed?

I like to be there early regardless of lineup, but then again I've seen maybe 40 bands live and you guys have seen 40,000.

Well, that's a valid point.
Do you think there is a difference in either age or show going experience between the folks who arrive early VS being late?
That might be something hard to judge...

I will say I recall getting to METRO early for a Haunted show a while back, and Bob and I were in line with kids no older than 18.

Good call testofwills...
There are some undercard bands that play WAY too much (IE - Into Eternity). I constantly hear people saying stuff like, "Well if I miss them tonight, I know I will be seeing them in 2 months at that other show"

Though for a band like Thurisaz, this was their US debut, and no immediate return in site...

Looks like we might be onto something....

Good call testofwills...
There are some undercard bands that play WAY too much (IE - Into Eternity). I constantly hear people saying stuff like, "Well if I miss them tonight, I know I will be seeing them in 2 months at that other show"

Though for a band like Thurisaz, this was their US debut, and no immediate return in site...

Looks like we might be onto something....

I used to think that Chicago scene sucked ass and it was part to balme for show attendance. This opinion has changed in the last year, maybe it's better now than last year as far as people going to shows goes?