Anyone else absolutely hate Guitar Pro 6?

D.Wade

New Metal Member
Feb 16, 2015
There are so many bugs in this program that it is useless for me. Does anyone have any luck with it? I've been using Guitar Pro 5 instead for years. Are there any reputable alternatives?

I grew up working on Guitar Pro 5 and although there's some features I wished were added/improved, I've had to stick to 5 because 6 sucks balls IMO. I've been waiting for Arobas to release 7, but it's been years without news, besides a threat were people asked for dumb features (like hosting vst, etc).

It would be awesome if someone mentioned an alternative.

There are different things which annoy me in GP6:

* The new drum notation: I mean, what the fuck? It's totally inconvenient how it works now. I was 10 times faster the way it was before in GP5.

* You can't dock the fretboard view somewhere in the gui (at least as far as I know). Not that serious issue but it annoys anyway.

* I have some strange problems sometimes where the tab respectively a single bar gets clinched (mostly if I have for isntance a bar full of 16th triplets) so you can't fucking read a single note.

* At least for me it's seems to be sometimes really slow when you have a big projekt with many instruments and you switch between them.

Overall I have to say I really regret the update :/

Oh I forgot one thing: somehow palm mutes are way quieter than they were before. I mean the normal midi sound, I'm not using RSE. I barely can hear palm muted notes on guitars. Is there a way to get them as loud as the other notes respectively as in GP5?

I know it's old as hell and probably doesn't have many of the features of GP, but I've been using TabIt for years now to mess with ideas when I don't have a guitar. I can type out a drumbeat probably faster than I can point-click it in a midi editor and then just export/import midi into something like Metal Machine.

Don't fucking get me started on it !

I lost my nerves back then when I discovered you cannot midi-program drums using the numbers, but have to write the score.
Nothing against the score, but it's just so slow compared to writing the midi numbers. And it doesn't behave properly.

I HATE the way copy/cut/paste is handled now. The way it was before was just efficient. Now I sometimes have to find a workaround just to copy the precise things I need.

Not to mention, it simply doesn't work well, and is so heavy in useless graphic things, it is just not stable enough. Sometimes it crashes a few seconds in ! And I have a vanilla and legit version ! And yes, it is often very slow and laggy, on a current quadcore macbook pro !

I just wish GP5 was compatible with the latest OS X versions. I am now using it, but damn am I slow compared to before !

I'm actually waiting for GP7 so much because I have been added to the Alpha/Beta list so if you guys have requests, send them in. I have no idea when this would come up, probably this year. I think I will be the annoying guy asking for workflow and behaviour-related fixes, I just don't see why people care about RSE so much. None of the sounds I have ever heard from them sounded good ! The way the programmer exchanged with me made it sound like they were open and interested so I will try to help make it the most convenient midi-editor I can. I know they are already trying to improve midi import and export (I initially contacted them about import features I was missing from GP5), which sound very good to my ears as I exclusively use GP for songwriting and exporting. For example, if it could be set up to correctly open midi files of all kinds and save them as .mid again in the same place, I would use it as a secondary editor from my DAW (in Reaper at least you can set up any app to open .wav or .mid files with a specific action), especially for drum programming.

I just cannot use anything else, because GP5 was perfect for songwriting IMO, it was just a breeze and lightning fast for throwing down ideas, I have tried other ones like TuxGuitar but it always misses important things for me. In fact I have actually at some point considered buying a cheap windows laptop for the sole and unique purpose of running a cracked old GP5 version on it because I was at that point feeling dependent on version 5 ! I kind of got used to how 6 behaves but it's a step backwards IMO.

I did prefer GP5, but now that I have used GP6 for a couple of years I have got used to it. Here's my view:

Things I prefer on 5:
Drum tabbing is MUCH faster. I honestly don't know why they changed it.
It sounds better unless you spend time tinkering. I don't like how GP6 has a bunch of DAW-esque features that require you to adjust levels and build tones to get a passable sound. The MIDI sounds of GP5 was much clearer and faster, and meant you spent more time writing than getting it to sound passable.
More stable, GP6 seems to crash at least once a day.

Things I prefer on 6:
Has the potential to sound a lot better than GP5, although I don't really care about this as I don't need it to sound good, I need it to write ideas.
Global pitch shifting. Sounds small, but I have found this quite useful.
Transposing, I have found this very useful for changing things across multiple tunings.

Final comment, if GP6 had GP5's drum tabbing and didn't try to be a DAW then hands down it would be the better program.

Anyone using GP5 on Mavericks and Yosemite? I'm used to tabbing drums in it and exporting the MIDI to Logic, but all of a sudden GP5 won't export anything. Been thinking of upgrading to 6, but 5 just works for me.

I had a computer with Snow Leopard and it worked near flawlessly. Had to upgrade when my new(er) computer came in last year and, while the software works, it still has its share of issues. Makes me want to pick up GP6, but this thread is making me rethink that. :/

I did prefer GP5, but now that I have used GP6 for a couple of years I have got used to it. Here's my view:

Things I prefer on 5:
Drum tabbing is MUCH faster. I honestly don't know why they changed it.
It sounds better unless you spend time tinkering. I don't like how GP6 has a bunch of DAW-esque features that require you to adjust levels and build tones to get a passable sound. The MIDI sounds of GP5 was much clearer and faster, and meant you spent more time writing than getting it to sound passable.
More stable, GP6 seems to crash at least once a day.

Things I prefer on 6:
Has the potential to sound a lot better than GP5, although I don't really care about this as I don't need it to sound good, I need it to write ideas.
Global pitch shifting. Sounds small, but I have found this quite useful.
Transposing, I have found this very useful for changing things across multiple tunings.

Final comment, if GP6 had GP5's drum tabbing and didn't try to be a DAW then hands down it would be the better program.

GP6 sounding better is really important to some artists though, like Rings of Saturn.

(sorry I had to)