Anyone else annoyed by drummers with.......

Im sure im not the only one who is annoyed with DRUMMERS that set up their drums so that its IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A TOM MIC on their toms. lol fuckin pisses me off! I had to get it out. Also its annoying when drummers put their fuckin RIDE CYMBAL on the same side of the HI HAT, that is RE-TARDED. :loco:

yea but you gotta work with it. ive been on both sides of the coin. As an artist, you need to be as comfortable as possible to put on your best performance. If anything is not where youre used to it, it can mess you up. The ride cymbal thing might be annoying, but its a drummers taste thing.
I cant imagine not being able to set up tom mics though?? does he have his toms at a 90 degree angle or something?? you should be able to get some mics in there??

I just ended up triggering this guy, He had his toms almost completely facing him, his cymbals were super close to the toms, I tried getting him to adjust things but he was complaining about it, So I just through triggers on there and called it a day haha

There are some weird setups indeed but that thing of the Ride on the same side as the HH is pretty usual with left-handeds who play with regular setups.

Also its annoying when drummers put their fuckin RIDE CYMBAL on the same side of the HI HAT, that is RE-TARDED. :loco:

Or maybe it's just LEFT-HANDED.

I've seen a few drummers set up their kits in ways I find totally unplayable though. Such as having the ride cover the floor tom so completly that only about 2 inches of playing surface are visible. I don't get that, but then I've got pretty long arms so I set my own kit with my right hand cymbals pretty far out.

Or maybe it's just LEFT-HANDED.

I don't get this reasoning - if you're left handed, play your kit left handed. it's not like a guitar where you have to get an entirely new instrument just because you're wired the wrong way, and it definitely doesn't mean you have to be a stereo-imbalanced fucktard with your ride on the wrong side.

I don't get this reasoning - if you're left handed, play your kit left handed. it's not like a guitar where you have to get an entirely new instrument just because you're wired the wrong way, and it definitely doesn't mean you have to be a stereo-imbalanced fucktard with your ride on the wrong side.

Wrong, it's actually much worse for a drummer to be a lefty. Having to change over a kit mid-gig every gig is reason enough for any lefty to just play a righty kit open handed. Makes everyones life, including theirs ALOT easier. Can't expect them to just set up a kit proper lefty when recording then cause it's totally not what their used to.
The guy I play with plays like this and I've never had a problem recording him, so the ride's on the same side as the hats- big deal!

I'm still not seeing why this is worse - if you have to share drumsets on tour, sure, but in the studio, on your own kit, at home? Just set it up like a lefty would - hat on the right, ride on the left, toms descending right to left. It's really not a huge deal, and it sounds way better and balanced than having the hat and ride on the same side as the kit - albums like The New Black seriously annoy me because of how left-focused all the cymbals are. It throws off the balance of the entire stereo spectrum.

I'm still not seeing why this is worse - if you have to share drumsets on tour, sure, but in the studio, on your own kit, at home? Just set it up like a lefty would - hat on the right, ride on the left, toms descending right to left. It's really not a huge deal, and it sounds way better and balanced than having the hat and ride on the same side as the kit - albums like The New Black seriously annoy me because of how left-focused all the cymbals are. It throws off the balance of the entire stereo spectrum.

Are you suggesting they should play with one set up live and another in the studio? Just so it's easier for you? Asking someone to change how they play their instrument is a *huge* deal.

It's the producer/mixing engineer's job to make sure the stereo field is balanced, not the drummer's. You don't ask guitarists to make sure they only play on the left-hand side - you put them there.

Steve

Just get on with your job and let those drummers/musician do there's......retards don't generally find there way into studios,they have there own issue's to contend with.

Actually... my ideal setup is the same - I like my hi-hat on the SAME side as the hi-hat. And I've experimented with having the floor-tom next to the hi-hat too. I like that one less so, but I have tried it!

Yeah I don't give a fuck, if I can't even sneak a little mic under the ride I don't make it an option to raise it. It gets fucking raised.

It goes like so:

"I can't get a mic on that tom man, we have to raise it around 3"."

I have only had 1 times where that was a huge issue. But he had the damn thing almost sitting on the floor tom. I have no idea how he played the kit because he took what was a 18" diameter playing area and reduced it by more than half with the way he had his kit setup.

With all due respect, I think it is retarded the fact that you find it annoying how a drummer likes to set up his own instrument.

So you wouldn't complain if the guitarist has a backbow on his guitarneck, because thats just how he likes to set up his guitars?

it's their record, not yours.

So what you are saying is that you dont have any problems with putting your name on something that sounds like complete shit, just because its not your own music?

That sounds like a good way to make it to the top.

you dont have any problems with putting your name on something that sounds like complete shit

Nope, I don't. Especially on the live gigs I really don't care what band is on the stage. I have mixed some pretty awful cases both live and studio (when I was working at the Harju demostudio), and ultimately the results always turn out like a true representation of the band; if the band sounds like shit, so does the record, if the band sounds good, so does the record. My job is just to capture it. And given amount of the booked time (2-5 days to record, edit, mix and master), polishing turd just was usually never worth it. All of those god awful bands I mixed have broken by now, so in the end there was no damage done.