Anyone else annoyed by drummers with.......

Well this thread got off track pretty quick.

There are drummers who set their ride up on their left side, and there always will be, and there's nothing any of you can do about it - end of story. Just do your job as well as the situation allows.

There's absolutely nothing retarded in different playing styles. That's one of the things I like about playing drums - you can set everything up in your own way, completely individually, to make your setup suit your playing.

And the way you play and the way your kit looks is definitely part of the show in my opinion. In the metal genre, if guitarists are just standing there and playing their instruments it looks weak as shit, but drummers don't have to start fucking around the stage to impress.

Since we're at it, I'll also voice my opinion about drummer jokes... I'm a drummer, and I'm pretty sure I can play guitar/bass better than any of the guitarists here can play drums... Learning to play riffs is piss-easy compared to learning drums. :D

Reading into sarcasm is just that without any inflection and tone and context, and EVERYBODY loses their shit about every fucking thing a drummer does on this forum time and time again anyways... so its pretty fucking impossible to be able to decipher the one time somebody talks shit but doesnt actually mean it.

Nobody is disagreeing with you arguing about your ability to mic shit if placements arent conducive to it. Im just saying the arguing of placement just for the sake of it... which is what some of this seems like... is pretty ridiculous

I find it funny that Audio Engineers, front of house engineers and studio owners all bitch about musicians non-stop, without them, you'd be out of a job, and presumably, without being a musician, you may well never have gotten into the hobby/job at all.

I really don't get this overwhelming, all-consuming desire for everyone's set-up to be the same. Put the ride on the right hand side or suffer the consequences. 5150 through mesa oversized 4x12 with a v30 where the dustcap meets the cone, sm7 or die.
The little things such as a dude's ride being on the left or right side can make or break a guy's flow and stop him from being able to channel his energy directly into creativity, rather than getting frustrated that he keeps missing his ride because it's in a position he's not comfortable with.
We're engineers, adjust on the fly and deal with it.

I thought we were initially talking about when drummers put their cymbals LITERALLY 1" from the toms making it impossible to mic the toms? Who gives a shit about what side cymbals are placed? Fuck, if you can play with all your cymbals placed behind you I wouldn't care.

I wouldn't bitch about stuff like that (bad recording setups) except it is usually the preferred method of REALLY shitty drummers.

Same goes with the 50 degree angle tom shit. Never had a player that played well do that, it's always the drummers who obviously never practice and are sloppy as fuck and the toms have zero fucking attack etc...

So in just my little experience a bad recording setup is also a bad players setup.

Interesting that you address who's responding, but not the actual responses.

I should have seen that coming.

The responses are just a bunch of drummers trying to say well THIS guys does his RIDE on the other side. Good for him! WHY ARE YOU EVEN DEFENDING PEOPLE YOU DONT KNOW?! All I was saying is that IMO its a shitty habbit and usually the drummer that does it SUCKS! AM I STILL ABLE TO RECORD THE BAND?! YES! DOES IT TRULY DESTROY MY MIX? NO! Damn you people are ridiculous sometimes. I vented one little thing that just is a PET PEEVE of mine.
Lets face it: ANGLED TOMS=BAD DRUMMER, SUPER LOW CYMBALS=SHITTY CYMBAL SOUND, RIDE ON SAME SIDE AS HI HAT=NO CONTRAST IN THE STEREO FIELD WHEN THERE IS A SWITCH BETWEEN THE RIDE AND HI HAT (and most drummers that do it FUCKIN SUCK!)

And to the people on here that have said "O why is he bitching about the drummer, we need drummers to record cause they supply us with business, blah blah blah," My response to you is SHUT UP, no shit we need them. Im very grateful for getting business, I just vented one annoying situation. And if there is not ONE thing you dislike about recording bands then I believe you have not RECORDED ENOUGH BANDS YET TO EVEN JUDGE ME! :Smokedev: Im done with this thread now, SEE YA!

Lets face it: ANGLED TOMS=BAD DRUMMER, SUPER LOW CYMBALS=SHITTY CYMBAL SOUND, RIDE ON SAME SIDE AS HI HAT=NO CONTRAST IN THE STEREO FIELD WHEN THERE IS A SWITCH BETWEEN THE RIDE AND HI HAT (and most drummers that do it FUCKIN SUCK!)

I agree with everything you said except the last point, it's fucking ridiculous and you know it. Placing has zero to do with one's drumming skills.

Same goes with the 50 degree angle tom shit. Never had a player that played well do that, it's always the drummers who obviously never practice and are sloppy as fuck and the toms have zero fucking attack etc...

Can I just say that Nicko McBrain's toms are almost vertical (and the snare is at a pretty steep angle as well -- See Death On The Road DVD's Studio Footage) and his cymbals are right on top of them...

and he, IMHO, is no slouch on the drums..

-P

Can I just say that Nicko McBrain's toms are almost vertical (and the snare is at a pretty steep angle as well -- See Death On The Road DVD's Studio Footage) and his cymbals are right on top of them...

and he, IMHO, is no slouch on the drums..

-P

I can only find live footage of Death on The Road. Yeah his toms are tilted (and I would argue, not as bad as your making it out to be), but let me also point out that they are also jacked up at almost face level.

I'm talking drummers who play with them at 60-70 degree angles and they are setting at belly button level. What the fuck, there is no way you can get any attack out of playing like that.

I'm talking about taking a measuring tape and from ride to floor tom having an inch or less of clearance. I'm talking about having crashes 3 inches from the rack toms. I'm talking about crashes, that if hit hard enough, would swing into the rack toms.

I can jack the action (distance of strings from neck) on my guitar, doesn't mean it's a good/ smart decision.

Plus, from what I have witnessed, it really does impart bad technique playing the kit this way.

I find it funny that Audio Engineers, front of house engineers and studio owners all bitch about musicians non-stop, without them, you'd be out of a job, and presumably, without being a musician, you may well never have gotten into the hobby/job at all.

I really don't get this overwhelming, all-consuming desire for everyone's set-up to be the same. Put the ride on the right hand side or suffer the consequences. 5150 through mesa oversized 4x12 with a v30 where the dustcap meets the cone, sm7 or die.
The little things such as a dude's ride being on the left or right side can make or break a guy's flow and stop him from being able to channel his energy directly into creativity, rather than getting frustrated that he keeps missing his ride because it's in a position he's not comfortable with.
We're engineers, adjust on the fly and deal with it.

+1 motherfucka!