Anyone else bored by the new Meshuggah?

LordFireworm

May 26, 2002
Visit site
So after weeks of scavaging,I finally got my hands on the new Meshuggah.
It sucks.
Well,I'm pretty dissapointed anyway.This is THE band that got me into metal so I'll always think of them in good terms but the new album does nothing for me.
I'm not going to give a big review because frankly,I'm lazy.
Trey Spruance from Mr. Bungle once said that:
"Meshuggah is the only band that makes you feel like you've been hit in the face by a train."
Sadly,this album is more like having a midgit in drag tickle your genitals with a spoon.
Hardly any brutality and lack of interesting grooves makes for a waste of time.
What do you think?

Ha.Yeah.I made a funny.C'mon,give me some credit.Its 2 in the morning here.
As for the album,I listened to it alot.Listening to it now actually.
What do you want from me?I think its dull.
I'm going to put in Chaosphere now.

Originally posted by Smekermann
I want to know your reasons why you think it's dull. You just sound like you think it sucks because it should be Chaosphere part 2 and it's not.

Noooo...By that reckoning I should maybe not like Chaosphere because it's not DEI part two.That certainly is'nt the case.
Tell me what you like about it?
I think the riffs are simplistic and dull.It lacks the energy of past albums and the grooves are'nt as strong.I dont find any redeeming qualities to it.

I didn't like it either, it lacked brutality and it lacked structure which was found in say DEI and to a lesser degree in Chaosphere. I think with all their Ozz feasts and touring with shit like Systems Of A Down, they might be aiming for the "angry rich kids" market. This new one will for sure be accessable to a lot of nu-metal fans. It's not nu-metal, but it is accessable. (In my opinion.)

do you know where you can find some of the tracks off of the new album? my Aim name is XXEnsanityXX.... message me if you know where to get them......orrr just tell me here:)

It's still really complex. The reason you think it sounds so simple is because they use absolutely no power chords on the album, thus reducing the guitar to sound more like bass riffing. Having no power chords on the album and still managing to sound heavy is a pretty damn impressive, to say the least.

Who needs power chords when you've got 8 string guitars? :p

Originally posted by ALaRum
Meshuggah have always been ahead of their time. They are a band you either love or hate...I think they are quite unique at what they do...

NP: VEHEMENCE-God was created

Agreed, at least they're doing something different. I have mixed opinions of their previous releases - never heard 'Destroy Erase...' though. Just ordered 'Nothing,' which will be my dealbreaker with this band.

It's still really complex. The reason you think it sounds so simple is because they use absolutely no power chords on the album, thus reducing the guitar to sound more like bass riffing. Having no power chords on the album and still managing to sound heavy is a pretty damn impressive, to say the least.

And I'll quote some guy on the Perpetual Motion forums:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sit down with it...analyze it rhythmically. I'll tell you, when I first got "Chaosphere" I didn't like it AT ALL...all I could think about was "all the songs sound the same...the singer just screams the whole time"...so I was thinking about selling it. I sat down with it "one last time" and actually (for the first time) paid attention to all the rhythms...then I realized: that's what it's all about. It's brilliant. Polyrhythms out the ass...amazing rhythmic displacement ideas. I couldn't believe it. Needless to say, Chaosphere is now in my top 5 favorite albums of all time (and has been there for a while). So, if you're not a musician, then this probably just isn't your stuff...but if you are, pay attention...the rewards are worthwhile.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do that.

Im sorry, but so called complex poly rhythms don't make good songs. Mehsuggay does have some complex shit, but overall it doesn't make good songs. (and really isn't that complex a lot of the times. You boil most of their stuff down to 4/4, the guitars just play long riff patterns that dont always end up on the one. nothing new there). There are lots of bands with complex poly rhythms that write good songs, are interesting, or at least powerful. Suffocation comes to mind. And these other bands do it in a way that flows and isn't grating and fucking annoying (esp the vocals, any thing is better than that guy Jens).

Hmm.

I hope its worth a damn . I've read it's album of the year from many sites. I'm buying the cd tommorow for my girlfriend. She told me to get it. Never actually heard a Meshuggah cd all the way through. just some random tracks on the radio.

JAH

Got the cd. I just began listening to it. It's interesting. Reminds me of Gorguts kinda. My gf already has listened to most of it and she actually thinks its good. You'd be surpised. she's the one who told me about Down when we first met and I was like who what when? so she's more in tune with heavier music than some females. LOL. Opening track and I think 7 being her fav so far. I think it's a rather weird piece. Bizarre guitar structures and odd timing sigs (as I expected). I haven't heard it much to get the full take yet. I wish they would of put more stuff on the interactive cd-rom part though. The little gay sticker was pretty weak "as heard on the osbournes" WOOO HOOO OH LORD! MUST BUY IT NOW! pffffft!

hehe take care!

JAH

That's weird, everyone hates Jens' vocals.....I really enjoy listening to him; his vocal style is devoid of emotion and he barks rather mechanically and aggressively, which suits the music down to the ground in my opinion. One thing's for sure, he doesn't sound like any other death metal singers, and in this case, i think it's a plus.

Once I heard Destroy, Erase, Improve, I was hooked. These guys were the pretty much the first band that I had heard to do what they did with polyrhythms with heavy guitars and interesting solos. I was really anticipating "Nothing," however I can honestly agree with Lord Fireworm that it's straight-up boring. Maybe Meshuggah are trying to get into some new minimalistic type of music, or maybe they just didn't have enough time to put together an disk like their previous ones. The 8 string with no power cords sounds alright, but for the whole album? I don't know, maybe it's good and I just have a bad sence of taste for metal music. I like what I like and this one doesn't do it for me.

To me Meshuggah have always been one of those bands that you just have to have a really good stereo to listen to it and enjoy. Most of the metal band's out there can sound good on almost any stereo, but with Meshuggah it just sounds totally different to me for some reason.

Originally posted by SculptedCold
That's weird, everyone hates Jens' vocals.....I really enjoy listening to him; his vocal style is devoid of emotion and he barks rather mechanically and aggressively, which suits the music down to the ground in my opinion. One thing's for sure, he doesn't sound like any other death metal singers, and in this case, i think it's a plus.

Exactly.

I haven't listened to Meshuggah in a long time, and I have yet to check out 'Nothing.' Sounds like I'll have to...