Anyone else dislike tracking?

My band recorded a 4-song EP recently. We paid near full rate for the studio I built with my own hands purely because I didn't want to spend any time pushing buttons. Instead I could focus on performances and getting the ideas I had for the end product down without the hassle of running the machinery. I'm not a fan of tracking at all. I find the process of cutting takes and fiddling with software to be tedious (although I do like setting up gear and experimenting with getting quality sounds). Mixing has always been more my thing.

i like tracking drums, guitars (depending on the type of music... and even then i can only handle it for a couple hours at a time. that's when having a studio partner really fuckin rocks!!!)

.... and of course my favorite, vox!

i do quite enjoy mic'ing drums and getting levels, making decisions about what chains to use for certain things...

to me, seeing all the work completed is awesome. because i know the bands record or ep or whatever was done from start to finish in our studio...

and maybe, just maybe, my vision will be reached! =D

This is where i come in handy to charlie :) cause i actually love tracking and don't mind tracking for 10-12 hours strait to get shit done.

Even if I enjoy the music and the people after a while I get really anxious and tired. I don't know, I can spend hours and hours trying techniques on everything or even mixing, but I just cant handle hours of tracking, it just drains me out completely

I really like tracking myself because everytime I have a part tracked I hear
a new part of MY song and it's no longer imagination, it's real.

Tracking other people can suck alot, it's only fun if the guys are tight or good
friends in my opinion, like when I tracked our old guitar player who just got 4
tracks as a one-take almost perfect, that was pretty cool.

Tracking is by far the worst part of every project for me. Except with certain players that just clock in and go to work and lay shit down like they own it. Not very often. Usually I cannot wait to get tracking and editing over with, the mix is the fun part for me.

Seeing a guitar player nail a whole song in 1 take is so ridiculously rewarding, just because you're used to going through a nightmarish process. It's only happened to me twice, unfortunately.

It's a funny thing, but I don't mind doing a lot of punch ins when it's the type of music that requires it and not the excessive inadequacies of the player. In other words I can take it quite a while if the player is obviously talented or has practised a lot.

Thankfully, getting paid by the hour seems to be a decent enough compensation in most cases, though obviously I've had to turn down bands that are so bad I'd pay them to not record them.

I actually love tracking, it's my favourite part of the process. I don't always enjoy mixing but I blame that on my current situation at home where I can't always make noise at the times of the day where I feel productive and I don't like mixing mainly with cans.

I love interacting with the band and getting to know them and I really don't mind going over and over parts again and again. Bands seem amazed that I don't get frustrated or pissed off if we do loads of takes of a tricky part. I'm quite patient.

I only wish bands would dedicate some more time to the tracking side of things- So many try to cram as many songs as possible into it and usually leaves us with not alot of time for vocals. Last 3 projects I've done they've had to book extra days afterwards to get the vocals done properly which I don't like.

I hate tracking guitars. Switching DAWs to my current PT rig was a big improvement in fidelity but the introduction of the grid, quantising, ea, and such tools has ruined my tracking experience. I the past I'd make a nice bass and drum bed to click then track guitars to that. Now too much is done by eye and not by ear. I don't get much time to record but I plan on turning off the grid and doing fewer takes.

It's usually a pain, due to the turd polishing that is so common in the genres most of us here like.

The biggest issue is people who write parts they can't play.

Oh well...

I like tracking good players. If they're capable it can get really collaborative--although admittedly this is more of a producing thing. I also really enjoy getting tones. It does suck when people can't play their own songs of course.

The absolute WORST feeling is opening a project full of absolute shit takes that you know you're going to have to edit the fuck out of for hours and hours, and when you're done it will still sound like shit. If I could record bands with great musicians I would be so happy. Just hit record, and then mix, how awesome would that be?

The absolute WORST feeling is opening a project full of absolute shit takes that you know you're going to have to edit the fuck out of for hours and hours, and when you're done it will still sound like shit. If I could record bands with great musicians I would be so happy. Just hit record, and then mix, how awesome would that be?

This +1. I do enjoy tracking a lot if it's fun and the tracks come out at least okay. But if the takes suck, I know what's gonna wait for me in the editing phase and it takes away most of the enjoyment, replacing it with horror and dread.

I hate editing most by far.

in particular guitar tracking, where you're so intently anal on not only timing, clarity and power, but also tuning.

Feel your pain:D
Actually working on my first French band big release and we spend something like 26hours for guitars tracking (for 5 songs). Nazi tracking and punch in is the key imo. But Drop C didn't help with tuning in this case for sure...
I didn't hate tracking (but band hate me for sure) but probably because I mostly work with really cool guys.