Anyone else dislike tracking?

I hate it too....I love to set up mics, tuning drums, etc...but I hate tracking so much because it's very difficult to find decent musicians out there.
And there is a thing I hate so much....while I track drums, often I think the performance is decent, in time, etc..but when I give up and I start the edits I find an enormous amount of mistakes...so I have to do lot of edits.
I understand the difficult of the drummers to play perfectly with a click.

What annoys me the absolute most is guitarists with just poor technique. It doesn't matter how in time to the grid they play or whatever, im talking about the guitarists who bend notes slightly out of tune without even knowing theyre bending it, palm mute so far up that it sounds scratchy and weak, general pick attack also scratchy...just don't know how to hit the strings. It doesn't matter how many takes I make them do, it sounds pretty much the same every time. Also a lot of times picking strings they arent even using. Sometimes I get a band that has a part with an open power chord held out for 4 measures...and I end up tracking it myself because the kid cant even hit it in tune or make it sound strong enough. Bad players will kill the guitar tone and mix straight away! I end up messing with the guitar tone forever before realizing that when I pick up the kids guitar it astonishingly sounds good again.

Anyone got any tips for recording these kinds of guys? I go through a lot of "no, palm mute closer to the bridge" and "you keep bending a few notes in that chord" or "you aren't muting the string in between that octave chord properly", but it never really works out. It's so hard to teach a guitarist to play better! I would bet Joey is super good at it though. Usually they don't even hear what you're talking about or understand what they're doing wrong. I'm also curious if you guys have ever been absolutely blown away tracking rhythm playing by a guitarist who doesn't record HIMSELF? I know that my rhythm playing got 1000x better when I started recording, and now it seems like everybody who doesn't record themselves has weak hand tone

/end rant

+1000000

God damn I hate guitarists... really... when I point those things out to them they just stare at me like they have no fucking clue of what's going on... I've always been interested in knowing how other engineers deal with those problems. The main issue is that they just don't have technique, no notion at all of the instrument they play, which is odd considering IT'S the instrument they play everyday ....

I love tracking with the good guys, it's a lot of fun, jokes and creative work. Even if they lack skills, it's a great thing to help them to perform better. I always get acquainted with the band BEFORE we make a deal, so I know that they're ok and most probably it will be fun to work with them.

Sometimes I'd propose drummer to play less complex kick part and concentrate on hands (sometimes play just hands). Or playing something way too complicated slower. Anyway, taking hundred takes is not a performance demonstration. It's the fucking probability theory:)
The same with bass players, guitarists and singers - lots of nice methods to make them sound better - chosing different picks, dampening the unused strings, giving advice on proper picking/playing fingers, singing along with the vocalist, etc etc etc. Fun!

Guys find out a lot about tuning, proper timing. And I'm getting more experienced in working with musicians.

One more interesting thing is optimizing tracking for upcoming editing. I love tracking just DI for bass or even guitars (sometimes using ampsims for monitoring) and only after I've made all the editing and all the tracks are in perfect order, I do reamping. Sure if we're talking about tough players who easily make their way through the track, this approach has no sense.

Tracking great musicians is as pleasant, as mixing projects, tracked at our own studios. But imagine someone has brought you the shitty project: guitars without DI, cheap speakers, spongy drive without screamer, wierd miking. Bass only miked, tuned sharp, dead strings and noisy as fuck. Overheads mocking you: you can replace kick, snare and toms, but you are impotent against our canny crashes, overpowering hat and tiny ride. Vocals are already oversaturated and autotuned the wierdest possible way. I think mixing it will suck even more than tracking poor performances.

I love it. I love watching all the individual parts come together and slowly form a piece of music. Though this might be becuse I mostly track my own band/projects, the times when I do track someone else stuff then it really depens on if they know their shit or not. If they don't, then yeah it's a nightmare.

yeah tracking is so tedious... I hope that in 10 years I'm mixing 90% of the time. There's no way I could keep doing this kind of recording for much longer than that.... there's a reason why the younger guys are engineering rock/metal these days while the older guys are mixing more.
Let's face it... sitting in front of a computer for 8-12 hours a day recording music 2 seconds at a time just sucks.
But of course there are those bands/records that are a joy to do... just gotta knuckle down and keep working hard so those good projects become more and more common.

Yeah, that's it... if the top guys aren't producing, then chances are they're mixing. Rarely do you see them take on tracking jobs without an engineer at their side to do the tedious stuff.

Tracking at this level, with this sort of scrutiny.. I'm not sure it's sustainable without turning into a jaded wreck within one or two decades.

Not to complain about the bands themselves, because i generally work with really great people. I've been very lucky in that sense, and I can't throw any blame there. It's just the process itself that drains me, irrespective of the abilities of the performer.