Anyone else find the Guitar Tone Competition makes them go batshit insane?

Harry Hughes

  ‬‬
Apr 25, 2009
I'm not sure I even feel human anymore.
Taking a couple of minutes break from HEARING THE SAME GODDAMN SONG OVER AND OVER FOR ABOUT THE 50TH TIME TODAY. :erk: :lol:
And this is only the Guitar Tone Comp.

And damn, I remember my experience from the previous guitar tone comp.
I haven't heard the song in months, but I still remember the whole thing in my head :lol:

Makes me feel for all the guys who do mix engineering (and I guess mastering too) for a living.
Not because of the financial aspect of it, nor the physical health impact of sitting around all day, but their mental health slowly being eaten away by having to just listen to stuff over and over again .
If this shit isn't self inflicted torture, then I don't know what is :lol:

Dont know what´s the problem. The DI´s have a really great quality. Everything sounds really well. I got a great tone in 5 minutes and I didnt had to listen to the music 28374687236487326 times.

I submitted more than 20 days ago so I'll be fresh come voting time :) The song rules.

And as far as listening to the same 10-30-50 seconds a million times - I'd say you get used to doing this over time. Personaly it's more frustrating for me to keep finding things about the mix (generally, not Ermz's mix) that annoy me or that are lacking.

The thing about this kind of competition is that, at least for my part, I kinda concentrate too much on getting the "best", not necessarily what's needed for the song - which is what mixing is.
Which leads to second guessing, which leads to doing things over and over again...

But that's just me. I've pretty much decided that I'll probably not participate on the next competition, whatever the outcome in this one.

Dont know what´s the problem. The DI´s have a really great quality. Everything sounds really well. I got a great tone in 5 minutes and I didnt had to listen to the music 28374687236487326 times.

Nah, wasn't really what I was getting at dude.
The DI tracks and the backing track are great sounding. The song is cool too.
I mean more so, that for really anal and obsessive people like me, we tend to just keep going and going until we find some sort of perfection (which is ultimately never achievable) which is why I've sat here for hours and hours today.
It did take me about 2 minutes to nail (IMO) a pretty good rhythm guitar tone for the comp, but it's that obsessive side of me that then wants to keep tweaking that tone even though it probably already sounds good, and just to keep fucking with the levels try to get that non existent, 'perfect' balance.

op-Anyone else find the Guitar Tone Competition makes them go batshit insane?

Nope i had loads of fun doing it i only wish i could this type of work for a living ah well

Makes me go batshit insane because it's fundamentally a massive fucking pissing contest.

I like the song, so no for me.
during mixing the music disappears for me and I just hear the parts of the mix/sound and not the music itself.
couldnt mix brutal death metal otherwise :lol:

Makes me go batshit insane because it's fundamentally a massive fucking pissing contest.

Just like any competition of any sort.

But hey it doesnt matter because we can all live in a culture of "everyones a winner" even when they're exactly the opposite. :Spin:

Nah, wasn't really what I was getting at dude.
The DI tracks and the backing track are great sounding. The song is cool too.
I mean more so, that for really anal and obsessive people like me, we tend to just keep going and going until we find some sort of perfection (which is ultimately never achievable) which is why I've sat here for hours and hours today.
It did take me about 2 minutes to nail (IMO) a pretty good rhythm guitar tone for the comp, but it's that obsessive side of me that then wants to keep tweaking that tone even though it probably already sounds good, and just to keep fucking with the levels try to get that non existent, 'perfect' balance.

I know what you are saying. I am becoming less obssessive with that kind of things. I already fucked good mixes for tweaking the things too much. But I see your point. The previous Guitar competition I was a bit obssessive with a good guitar tone and today I cant stand that song. Being obssessive with the things it´s not good.

I know what you are saying. I am becoming less obssessive with that kind of things. I already fucked good mixes for tweaking the things too much. But I see your point. The previous Guitar competition I was a bit obssessive with a good guitar tone and today I cant stand that song. Being obssessive with the things it´s not good.

I wish I could help it, but I've got borderline OCD :(
And as such, that makes you kinda get stuck trying to perfection, which is ultimately non existent :erk: