anyone else in awesome shape??

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Im easily in the best shape of my life right now. 185 pounds of lean muscle mass thanks to double sessions 4 or 5 days a week doing a mix of crossfit work outs and more importantly gymnastics work outs using rings. ring training is the most effective training for developing pure upper body strength, hands down. you get explosive. it's sick. nothing better than doing a set of muscle ups without breaking a sweat. my core, anterior and posterior, is rock solid. side planks on a swiss ball will kill the obliques. squat pressing heavy weight for sets followed by 50 kettle bell swings will beast your ass into overdrive. do 5 rounds of that and tell me otherwise. Follow things up with a nice stretch, some lean meat for protein with some rice and veggies and cold water.... and of course a hot shower. youve done more today than 99 percent of the human population that is ABLE to. get your ass to the gym.

I'm wondering, I have full motion of my wrist again it just hurts to put a lot of pressure on them. Curls are out of the question, but I wonder if I'd do any long term damage with triceps exercises. Push ups hurt way too much but I think I could bench...

I'd advise against it. Wrists are somewhat fragile and with the way nerves run through narrow spaces through the bones, you could really fuck something up by putting any kinda pressure on it. If you have to hold a weight in your hand, don't do it.

keep training!! and please tell me you other guys are joking. put the weed down and train. it's a better drug, for real.

vigorous training isn't for everyone. different things work for different people (i myself as a trainer work out every day and do tons of different routines to try them out myself so i know the ins and outs of everything i'm going to apply to clients as opposed to just grabbing something and assuming it's correct or using the same routine on everyone) and not everyone gets super high and obsessed with working out like crazy considering it can be pretty obsessive for some and actually unhealthy if overdone. i work out for my health, career assistance and my enjoyment, and try not to become obsessed with perfection/appearances or other superficial and extrinsic factors (real success and happyness comes from intrinsic motivation almost all of the time).

@wrist injury: depending on your wrist injury you can still work out. if you have full ROM without much pain then you should be fine to do pretty much any exercise except those which put the wrist into extreme flexion or extension (ie pushups). when you say put pressure on it do you mean like pushups? your wrist shouldn't really be moving in curls (as the forearm should be completely straight due to the fact that the bicep generates the force, not the wrist muscles) or any tricep exercises so as long as you keep your wrist/forearm in a neutral position and to generate the force from the bicep/tricep (like you should anyway) you shouldn't have any problems.

however if you can't keep your wrist in a neutral position and you do experience pain in whatever exercises you're doing then stop and do something that doesn't rely on using the wrist (any leg exercises or core exercises) until your wrist is feeling good enough/strong enough to continue. lateral or medial epicondylitis or carpal tunnel is not something you want to fuck around with but it shouldn't scare you away from exercise if done correctly.

Thanks!

I know the wrist shouldn't bend with curls but I feel the pressure on my hand would be enough to hurt it also. Maybe I can experiment with high reps and really low weight. *sigh*, it's been what, a month and a half? I'm starting to think they will never heal.

BJJ 3 times a week followed by a fat dose of whey protein and now that the weather is better I've been doing a lot of longboarding again. Say what you will about that, but it definitely IS a workout, especially when you ride 4 miles one direction into the wind. Also, plenty of backpacking and hiking uphill with 30+ lbs on my back basically every single weekend.

One of the reasons I like jiu-jitsu so much is because it's a full body workout without actually "working out". I'm not the type of person that enjoys going to the gym, or lifting weights, especially when I have a way to achieve the same results through fun activities. Jiu-jitsu sharpens your body and your mind at the same exact time in all the best ways possible. Cross-fit was a consideration at one point, and I may still give it a go someday, but honestly I don't think I'd like it. Plus, all the good places around here are ultra expensive.

I'm also about 99% sure I'm going to take up trail running. I jogged through the wooded trails at a local park the other day and was (not really) surprised at how much fun it was compared to jogging on a track or the street.

Being in great shape feels great, and I feel sorry anyone that's too lazy to at least try to experience that feeling, because it really can be life-changing in a really awesome way.

That said OP, I also smoke copious amounts of pot and drink a considerable amount of hoppy beverages, so I say those drugs are just as good a drug as being in shape :)

Oh look this thread again.

Since summer started and I've been working outside and been getting in even better shape (and acquired a wicked tan). I've been weight lifting more in the last 6 months than I have in my whole life, taking protein shakes, and I'm filling in to my body to the point where I can wear tight fitting shirts without looking like a skinny hipster nerd. Am I vain? Yes, I would like to say I do it for my health, but really it is too look good, and make an impression on people.