Anyone ever use the Waves APA?

is it just me, but whenever i see advertisements like this

"Waves Audio Processing Accelerators free up your resources so you can focus on your sound, not your system. For example, the APA32 lets you run 6 IR-1 Reverbs, 9 Linear Phase Equalizers, or 12 C4 MultiBand Compressors ― "

that doesnt seem like much power at all, i know i could run all of those plugins at once and not think twice about it on my core2duo and it cost way less than 600 dollars. for my money id rather just get a quadcore cpu or two cpus

same with uad cards and stuff, i want to use those plugins but theyre always advertised as only being able to use like 8 at a time... it just seems like outdated hardware to me trying to be sold at a premium price

"Waves Audio Processing Accelerators free up your resources so you can focus on your sound, not your system. For example, the APA32 lets you run 6 IR-1 Reverbs, 9 Linear Phase Equalizers, or 12 C4 MultiBand Compressors ― "

that doesnt seem like much power at all, i know i could run all of those plugins at once and not think twice about it on my core2duo and it cost way less than 600 dollars. for my money id rather just get a quadcore cpu or two cpus

Can you run at the same time

6 instances of IR-1 Reverbs
9 instances of Linear Phase Equalizers,
or 12 instances C4 MultiBand Compressors on a dual core?
I don't believe it, buddy that's really too much even for a dual core
Maybe I'm wrong, on my dual core (intel 2.00 ghz) I can't load so much plugs without having playback problems

also remember with waves, you gotta pay alotta extra shit every year. youd be better off buying a cupla UAD cards, get about 20 - 25 plugins from them at once, but have them all killer, top of the line plugs. if youre buying waves, go for the ssl combo.

personally, i wouldnt go with waves simply because of the wup thing.

Can you run at the same time

6 instances of IR-1 Reverbs
9 instances of Linear Phase Equalizers,
or 12 instances C4 MultiBand Compressors on a dual core?
I don't believe it, buddy that's really too much even for a dual core
Maybe I'm wrong, on my dual core (intel 2.00 ghz) I can't load so much plugs without having playback problems

You're wrong. I can run WAAAAAAY more than that on my core 2 duo. :)

edit: let me try it... I will be back with the results soon.

OK, I'm back.

I created a test project from scratch and added some random drum files to a bunch of tracks in Cakewalk Sonar 6.2.1.

I started adding 5 instances of Waves C4 to every track, and by the time i got to 30 instances (6 tracks), my cpu load was between 16-19%.

Image HERE!

I continued my quest, and when I got to 100 instances of C4 the cpu load was 65-70% with no problems at all.

Image HERE!

My latency was set to 256 samples, and the project settings were 44.1KHz/24 bit. I would probably have gotten even lower cpu loads if I had raised the latency to 512 samples, but there was no need to do that. 100 x C4 is good enough to prove my point. ;)

OK, I'm back.

I created a test project from scratch and added some random drum files to a bunch of tracks in Cakewalk Sonar 6.2.1.

I started adding 5 instances of Waves C4 to every track, and by the time i got to 30 instances (6 tracks), my cpu load was between 16-19%.

Image HERE!

I continued my quest, and when I got to 100 instances of C4 the cpu load was 65-70% with no problems at all.

Image HERE!

My latency was set to 256 samples, and the project settings were 44.1KHz/24 bit. I would probably have gotten even lower cpu loads if I had raised the latency to 512 samples, but there was no need to do that. 100 x C4 is good enough to prove my point. ;)

Sweeet tits. Though the Sonar interface catches me off guard (I'm a Cubase user and my eyes are used to its look) What specs ya got on your machine?

Intel C2D E6400 @ 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM. Windows XP SP2.

Just for the fun of it, I just pushed my system to its limits, and I was able to run 160 instances of Waves C4 without getting any kinds of problems or dropouts. The cpu load was fairly high, between 85-90%, and my latency was set to 1024 samples.

Beyond 160 it just wouldn't run smoothly. The meters and markers "froze" occationally, and playback would stop after a couple of seconds. But 160 was perfectly fine.

Intel C2D E6400 @ 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM. Windows XP SP2.

Just for the fun of it, I just pushed my system to its limits, and I was able to run 160 instances of Waves C4 without getting any kinds of problems or dropouts. The cpu load was fairly high, between 85-90%, and my latency was set to 1024 samples.

Beyond 160 it just wouldn't run smoothly. The meters and markers "froze" occationally, and playback would stop after a couple of seconds. But 160 was perfectly fine.

goddamn... how many instances of the IR-1 conv-verb can you run??

I believe I've said this 8 times in the last 12 years, but... will we ever need more processing power?

The answer is probably a big YES, if we take the historical aspects into consideration.

This is why I always look for the best price/performance ratio whenever I buy new stuff... no matter how much you pay, your computer will be outdated and useless in a couple of years.

fuck waves

i'd totally go with the UAD stuff...and yea, it might suck that the plugs require the card, but i honestly think they do that more to stave off piracy than for reasons having to do with processing