Anyone going to see Emperor on May 30th?

Knulla

Nov 6, 2005
Chicago
www.myspace.com
I bought my ticket literally the minute they went on sale, knowing that they'd sell out. I'm pretty sure GA tickets are sold out, but VIP are still available (for double the price and almost no advantage over GA). Anyone else buy a ticket?:headbang:

No way. Not for $50.
It isn't THAT long ago since they were last in town.

I am not a fan of, "Let's play 3 exclusive shows in major cities so we can charge more money".

If they are coming to the states anyhow, make it a 2 or 3 week tour and charge a more reasonable price.

I guess it's also a matter of opinion of the band as well.
I was never a huge Emperor fanboy.

I hope this isnt a trend with bands doing this. I was reading about the Dream Theater gold pass tickets and stuff. It is insane what they can charge for tickets. People pay it and these shows sell out, so they will still charge that price. I would like to see Emperor, I think they are a good band, but highly overrated.

Well, the bottom line is that if people are willing to pay it, they will charge it.

Black metal has gained MUCH popularity in the states since these bands were active, and there is a whole new wave of fans who are interested in Dark Throne, Emperor, Immortal, etc who weren't around the first time.

Still, black metal is part of the "heavy metal" community. Therefore, I think it is insane these "heavy metal" bands, esp black metal ones who claim they are doing it all in the name of Satan, are in reality doing it for capitalism.

Sorry, but this whole $50 to $100 thing gets a big THUMBS DOWN from me.

That being said, to those going, have a good time and all.
I am curious to hear about the show.

Well, the only reason they came back (according to them) is because Ihsahn couldn't make it into the country last time due to him being convicted of arson. And to play Chicago, since they only played LA and NYC last time.

I had a bunch of people trying to convince me to go, but I'm sure as hell not paying that price. I've got better things to do with my money.

Well, the only reason they came back (according to them) is because Ihsahn couldn't make it into the country last time due to him being convicted of arson. And to play Chicago, since they only played LA and NYC last time.

Samoth, not Ihsahn.

And yes, I do believe that they WOULDN'T be doing another round if they had the full lineup here last time. The tickets are that expensive because people WILL pay it. I bought a $100 VIP ticket to BB King's last time. I'm not complaining. I got an autographed poster and first entry into the club.

I'm pretty sure GA tickets are sold out

Unfortunately, no.

I can't really decide if it's worth the money or not, so my plan was to wait until the next time I went to the Metro before making a decision about buying (cuz I'm certainly not going to pay $50 PLUS fees!) And if they were sold out before then, oh well.

So when you said they were sold out, I thought "woo hoo! My decision has been made for me!" But then I checked Ticketmaster, and no, they're still available. Dammit. :mad:

Neil

Samoth, not Ihsahn.

And yes, I do believe that they WOULDN'T be doing another round if they had the full lineup here last time. The tickets are that expensive because people WILL pay it. I bought a $100 VIP ticket to BB King's last time. I'm not complaining. I got an autographed poster and first entry into the club.

DAMN!! $100 only got you a signed poster and early admission?

Shit man, this is Emperor, not the original Mercyful Fate line-up.

Samoth, not Ihsahn.

Wow, can't believe I made that mistake. Emperor without Ihsahn... impossible

I'd rather spend $100 to see Emperor, to tell you the truth.

Yeah, as I said, tis all a matter of opinion and preference.

I mean let's say Kai Hansen and Kiske rejoined Helloween for just 3 US shows, and Chicago were one of them, I would have no problem paying $100.
(Though I haven't seen that lineup live since 1988).

Emperor wasn't THAT long ago. I guess that's why I am still shocked at the prices. Even worse is Immortal. They were in the US in 2002!
(Granted, Dimmu and Cradle broke since then which turned into a whole new scene of young black metal fans who didn't get the chance to see them)

They also brought a new scene of kiddies who think they are black metal fans but aren't. :p

I am all for young guys getting exposed to underground metal.
That's awesome in fact.
We don't want the crowds to be full of old bitter guys like Bob.

But hot DAMN was the crowd at the one Dimmu Borgir show I went too pathetic. There were teens and pre-teens with inverted crosses painted on their faces, and attempts at corps paint and black nail polish, etc.

I know image is everything, esp when marketing to the youth, but it was still quite a peculiar site....

I'd rather see Heaven and Hell for $100, personally... :Smug:

I ALMOST wasn't going to go the the H & H show because of the ticket prices (which actually was only about $65) even though I worship Geezer Butler and Dio.

However, a buddy of mine got 2 tickets and talked me into buying one. Plus, I am also a Machine Head fan and used to like Megadeth.:headbang:

1 week from tomorrow!!!:kickass:

Indeed, I want to go so bad, but like Pate said it is on a bad date for us. :(

Black Sabbath and Dio separate are two of my favorite bands, but seeing Ronnie with Sabbath again the ultimate concert I could ever see... Hopefully they come around again.