Anyone going to see Maiden?

JayKeeley said:
Wait a minute - so you're going to miss the Dance of Death tour altogether?! Or did you get tickets for a different night in NY? Assuming you're not flying to LA for the show of course, heh...
Originally I pretty much was going to miss the tour entirely, but there's actually a decent chance I'm going to score an extra ticket, so ya never know. I'll keep my cell with me and try to get in touch if I'm able to come up.

BTW Mark, don't worry about me if you're recording the show, trust me, it's cool man.

Dark One said:
Originally I pretty much was going to miss the tour entirely, but there's actually a decent chance I'm going to score an extra ticket, so ya never know. I'll keep my cell with me and try to get in touch if I'm able to come up.
Yeah boyeee! We'll be in the city around 3:30pm so meet up early for beers!

JayKeeley said:
Yeah boyeee! We'll be in the city around 3:30pm so meet up early for beers!
UGH! The guy I'm trying to get a ticket from hasn't contacted me, I was supposed to come up and meet him today in NYC to pick it up, but I don't want to come all the way up if I'm not sure about the ticket. Oh the drama!

Looks like we'll have to catch up at Opeth. The guy just emailed me now and said since I wouldn't have enough time to meet him to pick up the ticket before he had to leave, he'd sell it to someone else, even though I emailed him HOURS ago and told him as soon as I got the go ahead from him I'd leave for NYC. There would've been plenty of time.:hotjump:

OUCH! I heard the regular set was almost done when some fan poured beer all over the soundboard during "Iron Maiden" and screwed up that song and then the 3 planned encores couldn't be played.

Oh well, at least you guys got to see most of it. "Wrathchild" must've ruled.

Yeah, some idiot spilled beer into the PA mixing desk so they ended it before the encores. Quite honestly, I don't need to see Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills again (although they're always fun), and Journeyman is not my cuppatea so no great loss. And by that point, I was exhausted.

Before the show, we went to the Iron Maiden Bulletin Board pre-party, and that was really fun. Just lots of Maiden fans who had flown in from around the world to drink and eat together before the show. Everyone had a good time.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, some idiot spilled beer into the PA mixing desk so they ended it before the encores. Quite honestly, I don't need to see Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills again (although they're always fun), and Journeyman is not my cuppatea so no great loss. And by that point, I was exhausted.

Before the show, we went to the Iron Maiden Bulletin Board pre-party, and that was really fun. Just lots of Maiden fans who had flown in from around the world to drink and eat together before the show. Everyone had a good time.
Man, that pre-party sounds like it was a blast, wish I could've been there. Well, I'm feeling better, because if you read the Opeth setlist thread, I think that's going to be one hell of a good time as well. :headbang:

Dark One said:
Man, that pre-party sounds like it was a blast, wish I could've been there. Well, I'm feeling better, because if you read the Opeth setlist thread, I think that's going to be one hell of a good time as well. :headbang:
I know this might be horrible to hear now, but we did meet one guy in that pre-party with a spare ticket, but by that point, it was 7:00pm. I knew that you wouldn't have made it in time from Philli so I didn't want to make it worse by calling you up, you know?

Maiden did play really well. I have to say to all that are reading this that "Paschendale" live is an amazing thing to see. The theatrics, the music, and Bruce in his WW1 trenchcoat and soldiers helmet. :D Having said that, all the new Maiden material transfers well to a live setting, but that is to be expected.

Yeah Opeth will rawk. My tickets came through yesterday, along with that Agalloch shirt. I'm the one getting all the presents and it was my daughter's 2nd year birthday party today. I'm such a meanie! :heh: :D

JayKeeley said:
Heh, I was in pretty much the same train of thought at my show :D pity about the beer though...

Dark One said:
OUCH! I heard the regular set was almost done when some fan poured beer all over the soundboard during "Iron Maiden" and screwed up that song and then the 3 planned encores couldn't be played.

Oh well, at least you guys got to see most of it. "Wrathchild" must've ruled.
Believe me, missing those 3 songs was only annoying because the tickets were so expensive. I can live with missing "Journeyman," "Number..." and "Run to the Hills."

As for "Wrathchild," of course it was cool, but they've played it every show for the past 14 decades. Now, if you want to talk about "Paschendale," THEN you'd be on to something. My new favorite Maiden tune.

markgugs said:
Believe me, missing those 3 songs was only annoying because the tickets were so expensive. I can live with missing "Journeyman," "Number..." and "Run to the Hills."
Definitely agreed.

markgugs said:
As for "Wrathchild," of course it was cool, but they've played it every show for the past 14 decades. Now, if you want to talk about "Paschendale," THEN you'd be on to something. My new favorite Maiden tune.
Hmmm...really? I only remember hearing 'Wrathchild' like once in concert, but nevertheless, it's just a flat out classic metal jam. Still, no denying at all what a kickass tune 'Paschendale' is. I'd love to hear 'Montsegur' live as well.

JayKeeley said:
I know this might be horrible to hear now, but we did meet one guy in that pre-party with a spare ticket, but by that point, it was 7:00pm. I knew that you wouldn't have made it in time from Philli so I didn't want to make it worse by calling you up, you know?
That's ok, it's completely understandable, there was just no way to work it out logistically. I just wish the tour was swinging by here.

JayKeeley said:
Maiden did play really well. I have to say to all that are reading this that "Paschendale" live is an amazing thing to see. The theatrics, the music, and Bruce in his WW1 trenchcoat and soldiers helmet. :D Having said that, all the new Maiden material transfers well to a live setting, but that is to be expected.
LOL! I'm glad you guys got to see the best parts of the show at least.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah Opeth will rawk. My tickets came through yesterday, along with that Agalloch shirt. I'm the one getting all the presents and it was my daughter's 2nd year birthday party today. I'm such a meanie! :heh: :D
Heh, well, I'm sure she had her fun too. Maybe she was the one that got mad and decided to come down and throw the beer.:lol: (just kidding of course).

Dark One said:
Definitely agreed.

Hmmm...really? I only remember hearing 'Wrathchild' like once in concert, but nevertheless, it's just a flat out classic metal jam. Still, no denying at all what a kickass tune 'Paschendale' is. I'd love to hear 'Montsegur' live as well.
Yeah, they've pretty much had "Wrathchild" in the set since the early '80s, with very little exception. Though it wasn't included on the "Give 'Em Ed" tour this summer, which is probably most fresh in your mind. I've seen it at 3 of the 4 shows I've been to though.

I really do wish they'd give stuff like "Flight Of Icarus" or "22 Acacia" or "Invaders" or "Moonchild" or anything cool like that a chance to be back again, but I guess that's the problem when you have a gazillion tunes to pull from.

markgugs said:
Yeah, they've pretty much had "Wrathchild" in the set since the early '80s, with very little exception. Though it wasn't included on the "Give 'Em Ed" tour this summer, which is probably most fresh in your mind. I've seen it at 3 of the 4 shows I've been to though.

I really do wish they'd give stuff like "Flight Of Icarus" or "22 Acacia" or "Invaders" or "Moonchild" or anything cool like that a chance to be back again, but I guess that's the problem when you have a gazillion tunes to pull from.
Yep, I'd love to hear like a set full of nothing but Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Killers material (along with countless other fans no doubt). Part of the problem, as you say, is certainly a wealth of songs spanning about 25 years; however, Bruce himself expressed that the newest incarnation of Maiden is about emphasizing the new material and looking forward instead of backward, particularly because the band is entering an era where they are going to concentrate a little more on the music than on huge tours.

Hey, as long as they're still able to work the magic, it's all good.

Dark One said:
Yep, I'd love to hear like a set full of nothing but Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Killers material (along with countless other fans no doubt). Part of the problem, as you say, is certainly a wealth of songs spanning about 25 years; however, Bruce himself expressed that the newest incarnation of Maiden is about emphasizing the new material and looking forward instead of backward, particularly because the band is entering an era where they are going to concentrate a little more on the music than on huge tours.

Hey, as long as they're still able to work the magic, it's all good.
No, you're missing my point. The best part of the Dance of Death tour is the new material. My point is that why not retire tired songs like NOTB, Run To The Hills, Wrathchild, etc. They have literally dozens of songs they could dust off and breathe exciting new life into the sets. Of course, Hallowed Be Thy Name must stay in at all costs.

markgugs said:
No, you're missing my point. The best part of the Dance of Death tour is the new material. My point is that why not retire tired songs like NOTB, Run To The Hills, Wrathchild, etc. They have literally dozens of songs they could dust off and breathe exciting new life into the sets. Of course, Hallowed Be Thy Name must stay in at all costs.
Yeah well if they played a full set worth of the albums I mentioned, you can bet some of those unplayed gems would in fact be played. :)

I see what you mean though, when the new material slays the old (and totally CLASSIC) material live, it's time to change up the setlist to say the least. Not that the new material isn't well done or anything, but man, the metallic exctacy of hearing songs like 'Powerslave', or 'Rime...' or 'Where Eagles Dare' or any of the songs you metioned, etc. would be almost a religious experience.