in the absence of HC, is anyone going to Chicago Powerfest?

I just remembered that Suidakra turned into a shitty bog standard DM band, is that correct? I have stuff like Lays from Afar and Emprise to Avalon, but their most recent stuff isn't "folk/heathen" at all is it?

Hmm... I don't recall hearing a major stylistic change on Caledonia (which was 2006 I believe). I don't think you'd have anything to worry about from that standpoint. Their performance at Wacken this year seemed to go over well from the few that witnessed it and gave feedback.

Hmm... I don't recall hearing a major stylistic change on Caledonia (which was 2006 I believe). I don't think you'd have anything to worry about from that standpoint. Their performance at Wacken this year seemed to go over well from the few that witnessed it and gave feedback.

Jason, looks like you are correct. From reading Metal Archives, they released Signs for the Fallen and Command to Charge where both were a departure from Emprise to Avalon. And now they've since gone back with Caledonia so that can only be a good thing.

That said, even Emprise was a progression. If you listen to Lays from Afar, it's much more blackened.

Ah, that would explain it. I think I've heard those other albums, but didn't really give them my full attention, which would explain why I didn't notice the major change. It's funny, their first few releases and the latest one for some reason grabbed my attention and now I know why, lol.

Ah, that would explain it. I think I've heard those other albums, but didn't really give them my full attention, which would explain why I didn't notice the major change. It's funny, their first few releases and the latest one for some reason grabbed my attention and now I know why, lol.

I'm not one to judge a book by its cover but if I were a betting man, I'd look at song titles and album artwork:

LAYS: "Morrigan", "Wasted Lands"
laysfromafar_3024.jpg

COMMAND TO CHARGE: "Decibel Dance", "C14 Measured by Infinity"
69313.jpg

CALEDONIA: "Highland Hills", "Forth-Clyde"
1006_sui_cal.jpg.JPG

:loco::loco::loco:

Yep. According to Rob, who was the voice of the promoters on the forum, half a dozen headliners fell through. They delayed the announcement of the final headliners a thousand times. They also lead everyone to believe that the final announcement would be worth waiting for, only to announce Lethal and Atheist.

Suffice it to say, if you followed that forum in the months leading up to the final announcement, the series of events could only be described as a clusterfuck.

I totally agree with you. Last year started off looking good with the first announcement. It went downhill after that. The announcement of what they presented as headliners was a disappointment to me (and I assume many others that followed the forum). I really hope they have learned from last years fiasco.

I wish the promoters luck and hope things go smoothly for them. But after buying plane tickets after the initial announcement of Novembers Doom, only to watch the line-up go to shit from there (and subsequently eating the cost of the plane tickets), I can't help but be skeptical.

Zod

I had held off on purchasing any airfare before the final announcement last year. Lucky for me, flights to Chicago are usually pretty cheap, even last minute. If it goes south again this year, I just need to cancel my hotel room.

I went last year based on Solitude Aeturnus and Novembers Doom alone. Had been trying to see them for ages, and this fest was the only viable option I really had. They were announced early on, so I booked my shit.

I thought Atheist went over really well, though I can see how many would be disappointed with them being announced. I dug the shit out of them live though, considering I've been a fan for quite a long time.

Lethal had the same set length as SA, just went on after. They didn't go over too well though, as most of the audience had cleared out by the time they went on. All that remained were old people and a few fags like me who actually enjoy that style. However, they weren't the greatest choice of a first night closer.

This year I'm going for sure since I'd have to travel for paganfest anyway (TYR!), so I might as well stay the next 2 nights, since I'm sure I'll enjoy a few bands, despite who's announced.

Super 8? LOL. Fuck that.

wtf? It's a shitty metal festival, not a business meeting or a spa vacation! That said, I'm staying at my house.

Yep. According to Rob, who was the voice of the promoters on the forum, half a dozen headliners fell through.

Ah, yeah, I totally forgot about that! I guess as a local, you come at with quite a different perspective than if you're thinking of traveling. For me, it was just like "<two days before>: ok, what's the final lineup? Oh, ok, looks decent enough to me, guess I'll go". So yeah, especially if you ate plane tickets last time, now I understand your wariness.

I'm not sure that it was that much more more chaotic than most other festival organizations, but we certainly heard a lot more about it.

Neil

This year I'm going for sure since I'd have to travel for paganfest anyway (TYR!), so I might as well stay the next 2 nights, since I'm sure I'll enjoy a few bands, despite who's announced.

I can totally understand that. However, PaganFest is coming to NYC so PowerFest has to be a fucking mammoth line up to make it worthwhile going to Chicago. I really hope they get their shit together because it would be a great weekend.

That said, the more I think about it, the worse the feeling gets. PowerFest could have gone for any 2 European bands to start the roster and they went with Darkane and Suidakra? Why? Nothing against those 2 bands but when the world is your oyster....

COMMAND TO CHARGE: "Decibel Dance", "C14 Measured by Infinity"

heh. To be fair, the next three songs are "Haughs Of Cromdale", "The Alliance", and "A Runic Rhyme". The first being a bagpipe solo, and the last being an acoustic strummer w/ electric lead.

But yeah, they've certainly gotten progressively more chunky over their career. So now instead of folky bits being mixed in with melodic black metal, it's folky bits mixed in with chunky melodic death metal.

Neil

I'm not sure that it was that much more more chaotic than most other festival organizations, but we certainly heard a lot more about it.

Yeah, the element of hearing a lot about it was certainly there, but even if the lineup scrambling was as "normally" chaotic as any other festival, I find that a bit hard to believe given the timeframe they ended up working under just to announce both headliners. (Of course acknowledging that there were probably many factors beyond their control as well)

Jason