Anyone here get into a former PP band after their appearance and think.....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
In order to make the title not so long I will finish it here:

Anyone here get into a former PP band after their appearance and think, why didn't I get into these guys earlier ?

Balance of Power: Glenn could not have picked a better opener for PPII. I was a fan after I heard them live. Very good band.

Brainstorm: Cool and heavy powerful band. Hard not to like them when you want to hear something aggtressive.

Steel Prophet: I barely watched them, nor was I very interested, but by pure luck, I stumbled accross some of their older stuff fairly recently and was surprised. Those veterans really have some great stuff.

Bryant

Evergrey-This was before PP2. I met Glenn at the Megadeth show that happened a couple of weeks before the show and we got to talking music. He actually took me to his SUV and cranked Evergrey up for me!

At the show They blew me away and I went to the vendor tables as soon as the set was over and bought "In Search of Truth" and "Solitude..."

To this day they have remained one of my fav bands.

I wasn't into Pain of Salvation until PPI in Chicago. There was a time where I just hated them so I wasn't all too thrilled with seeing them in Chicago. But I left a completely changed person and now I can't get enough of them! I've become such the "fan-girl", I'm just in complete awe when it comes to that band. :worship:

Irene

Bryant said:
In order to make the title not so long I will finish it here:

Anyone here get into a former PP band after their appearance and think, why didn't I get into these guys earlier ?

Balance of Power: Glenn could not have picked a better opener for PPII. I was a fan after I heard them live. Very good band.

Brainstorm: Cool and heavy powerful band. Hard not to like them when you want to hear something aggtressive.

Steel Prophet: I barely watched them, nor was I very interested, but by pure luck, I stumbled accross some of their older stuff fairly recently and was surprised. Those veterans really have some great stuff.

Bryant

I could list a bunch of PP bands here. Threshold, Tad Morose and Evergrey are probably the ones that I knew nothing about before each PP, and the ones that I am biggest fans of now. I really rely on this show to expand my music selections, and to cost me a lot more money in CDs!

Now, I have to find more CD storage space . . .

Steve in Philly

Mercenary!
They were the one band I had only heard a song or two before PPIV and as soon as I heard the death vocals I thought, "Nope, not gonna like them!" So when their set came on I figured it was time for a break. I was hanging out talking and having a drink, basically ignoring them, but about half way through the second song my attention was yanked towards the stage and never left it from then on. They just have so many elements to their music besides those growls and screams they are truly many steps above the typical death metal band.

Following their set I instantly went down to the vendors and picked up Everblack. Later I met the band and had them sign it. I was sure to heap up the praise and they were so thrilled to hear it. They are without a doubt, the absolutley NICEST band members I have ever met! In the words of Evergrey's Henrik Danhage who toured with them,
"Mercenary, those guys are so damn polite! Good guys, Not swines like Evergrey!" :lol:

My BIGGEST regret is not paying attention when ARK played at PP. Since then I've been kicking myself because of it! :erk: Jorn has become my favorite vocalist of all time. I hoping and praying for MASTERPLAN to play this year but it still won't be ARK. The other performer that I've only gotten into recently is Swano (Nightingale)....but not like Jorn.

-Sheri

I would have to say Threshold... You just get a feeling when you hear a song for the first time and your like... Woah... Ravages of Time did that for me.

Also for Angra with Nova Era and the dual guitars... Just amazing.

Nightwish.

I was familiar with their music before PPIV, but it never motivated me to buy any of their releases. Honestly, I found Tarja's constant hi-end vocals a bit annoying on their early relases. BUT, when I got the chance to see her perform live, I was in awe at just how great she sounded live. There's no way to fake what she did. By the end of that week, I owned every Nightwish CD.

Sometimes you just need to see a band live to appreciate their skills. You also get a chance to see how they conduct themselves on stage and off. A professional attitude towards their live performance and fans is something you can't judge from just listening to a CD. You simply feel more connected to a band/person when you interact with them at their show or get the opportunity to meet them personally.

That's easy.

RAGE

Kicked my ass thoroughly. Never seen a three piece band come out and destroy so much so quickly! We had Unity before we went down. And I only got to listening to them about a week before we went down to Atlanta. I had listened to that disc four times on the drive. Saw them live, and KNEW I had been missing out in life! Where did this Smolski character come from, and why isn't he on the G3 Tour blowing people's minds!?!? And I knew that Mike Terrana was a powerhouse drummer, but DAAAYAAAMN!

The only band that can compare to that, and possibly exceed that, was discovering Manticora on the PP3 sampler double-disc. That was one helluva compilation of talent, and once we heard Manticora, we knew we foudn the diamond in the rough. And once we collected all their albums, we knew that these guys were more heavy-duty than anything out there today. And I'm just WAITING for the excuse to travel across the world to see these guys live.

HINT HINT WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE SAY NO MORE SAY NO MORE!

Bryan316 said:
That's easy.

RAGE

Kicked my ass thoroughly. Never seen a three piece band come out and destroy so much so quickly! We had Unity before we went down. And I only got to listening to them about a week before we went down to Atlanta. I had listened to that disc four times on the drive. Saw them live, and KNEW I had been missing out in life! Where did this Smolski character come from, and why isn't he on the G3 Tour blowing people's minds!?!? And I knew that Mike Terrana was a powerhouse drummer, but DAAAYAAAMN!

The only band that can compare to that, and possibly exceed that, was discovering Manticora on the PP3 sampler double-disc. That was one helluva compilation of talent, and once we heard Manticora, we knew we foudn the diamond in the rough. And once we collected all their albums, we knew that these guys were more heavy-duty than anything out there today. And I'm just WAITING for the excuse to travel across the world to see these guys live.

HINT HINT WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE SAY NO MORE SAY NO MORE!
Dude, I've got to agree with Rage. They put on one of the best prog power performances to date although half the crowd left for various reasons. I actually knew a lot of their most recent material, but I learned it after the announcement was made that they would be appearing. Manticora has been one of my more listened to bands this year, so an appearance by they would be very cool.

As for bands that I got into based strictly off their PP set - Ark would be one of them. Jorn was great, and their Burn The Sun stuff came off great live. I ended up getting into their material pretty heavy after that show.

Threshold. We saw one song at PPIII and went out for signatures and beer. WE liked the song on the PP3 smapler too. But what did it for me was their new release. That song on the PP5 sampler blew me away. I bought that cd on Saturday night and I love it. I don't have any of their other albums though, so if anyone can tell me that if I really like their newest album, will I like the previous ones I'll head out to Virgin next week with a fistful of metal..er cash.

Also, I'd have to say Brainstorm sold me on their live performance. I had a hint from listening to them, that I'd dig them. Boy was that an understatement!

And probably should give credit to Circle II Circle. Barely listened to their stuff, but their show was outstanding. TOTAL respect for Zak Stevens.

Anyone got an update on Zak Stevens after his accident? How's he been doing?

Since I'm more of a death/ thrash chick... I'm not exposed to a lot of power/prog metal. Before I came to PPV I had heard of: Savatage, Dream Theater, Brainstorm and Edguy. Savatage and DT were the only ones I listened to on a regular basis. I have one Brainstorm CD, but have to be in the right mood to listen to it. Not a fan of Edguy at all (Waits for the flaming to start). I've very picky when it comes to my metal.

So upon getting to PPV, I could have cared less about any of the bands until 'Tage. I managed to catch the majority of the bands playing and totally feel in love with Adagio and Tad Morose. I loved Brainstorms live energy, the put on one hell of a show.

So yeah, I'm kicking myself in the ass for not listening to TM or Adagio before this. Oh well.

Hey Bryant- How's that song coming along?

-Metal

Only been to the last PP but I do not think I ever really regret not getting into a band earlier than I have. Sure, there are times where personel have left or passed on that I might have liked to see, but that happens and at that point, if i have gotten into a band after that has happen, it really is not that big a deal.

While it is awesome to grow up with a band, it is also cool getting involved at a later date in their career. You tend to buy the latest work first and work back seeing what they have grown from. Plus....if it is a band with a few to many releases...it's like a new release every few weeks, instead of having to wait.

Tad Morose surprised me last year because I'd thought from hearing their older material that their stuff was more.....well.....morose. :)

I had heard at least something by every band last year except Dreamscape, and I thought I'd like their show since I'd heard they were prog-metal (and that's what I usually prefer), and I was right. Not that much of a "surprise," though. :)

I became a fan of Evergrey after ProgPower Europe in 1999. I'd never even heard of them before, and I left Tilburg with the only CD they had left to buy and picked up the rest later. It didn't hurt that Tom wandered into the same pizza restaurant late after the show and asked if he could sit with us. Very cool chap, but then, we all know that pretty well by now. :D

Wolverine were also a pleasant surprise at that festival, and were almost unknown to everyone there. Kudos to Erik from Mayadome for dragging us into that smaller room for their show -- or trying to; it was so packed all we could do was stand by the doorway and listen. (!)

Brainstorm and Tad Morose for me definitely. I've always liked both bands, but they were never in that upper level of bands for me. Brainstorm is now one of my top 10 bands all time. I will never forget that performance.

Not so much their performance at PPV but because of PPV I'm now a HUGE Into Eternity fan. I never gave them much of a listen but really pounded BIO into my head before PPV and now I just can't stop listening to it. I bought it at PPV along with the previous one, and hunted down their first one on Ebay... BIO hasn't left my car stereo more than 3-4 times since PPV so I could listen to Nightwish's "Once". It's a phenomenal CD.

MetalRose said:
So yeah, I'm kicking myself in the ass for not listening to TM or Adagio before this. Oh well.

Hey Bryant- How's that song coming along?

-Metal

Ha ha ha. Tad Morose was NOT a surprise for me. I pounded this board left and right for people to give a listen to them. They have that "oldschool" powermetal vibe going on in their style like Metal Church and I love that shit. You should have listened to me. :loco:

The song is on hiatus at the moment but it will be ready for PPVI. :Spin:

Bryant

since i'm a bit of a newbie, most of the stuff was new to me, but Enertia from the pre-party has blown me away. i bought their cd on the strength of hearing just part of one song at the pre-party, and it hasn't really left my cd player since i got back last september. i'm really hoping they get to either play the pre-party again or get one of the opening spots, but i'm not holding my breath. ;)