Anyone here get into a former PP band after their appearance and think.....

Mercenary, Brainstorm, and Tad Morose made me bigger fans although I had been a fan prior.

Pain of Salvation prooved to me why I had become such an addict with their live performance.

If we had got to see Riverside at progpower europe this past October, they would be on that list as everyone who went can't say anything but awesome things.

The Fiddler said:
Nightwish

I agree in a weird kind of way. I had "Oceanborn" and "Wishmaster," but I was never really "into" them. As far as female vocalists go, I've always been more of a fan of Cristina Scabbia's singing style. And while I could appreciate Tarja's vocal talent, I always felt that she was doing too many cartwheels with her voice when walking would have sometimes been more effective :)

However, Paul was talking them up for ProgPower IV and how I should come down and see them. I saw that they performed a cover of "Phantom of the Opera," and being a fan of that character I listened to it. Blew me away. I then started at track one of "Century Child." I sat in Paul's room listening to that album and realized that Nightwish was probably going to be one of my favorite bands from here on out. Tarja's voice was still in form, but she was showing restraint. I totally dug the new approach.

Then I met them briefly at ProgPower. They were all friendly, but I am going to have to especially single out Jukka, Tuomas, and Marco. Then they put on an amazing show and Tarja had a very charismatic stage presence. And on top of everything else, their relationship with the Bruelands (who I never met, but the story was one of the most moving things I had heard in the metal community) showed me that this was a band worth my money and time.

So I got into Nightwish because of ProgPower, but in reverse. Same with Tad Morose. The two bands that really blew me away due to their live shows were Evergrey and Brainstorm. I also really enjoed Symphony X's set at PPIV, but I still haven't "really" gotten into them yet.

dargormudshark said:
After checking out Nightwish a few times during the show I realized I kind of got into it.

Bryant and I both were ready for Tad Morose, but they still kicked the crap out of us. :headbang:

Oh hell yeah Darg !! I've been to I don't know how many shows and I don't know if I have ever seen a better frontman than Urban. The whole band was great, though. I had my ass 100% kicked.

Bryant

I picked up "Modus Vivendi" to acquaint myself with Tad Morose and was instantly hooked. They immediately became one of the bands I was most hyped to see, and they did not disappoint. As my friends said, it was obvious that they were having a good time up on stage. And in addition to the barnstorming show, they were all extremely friendly.

Hurricane Urban, indeed :)

Irene said:
I wasn't into Pain of Salvation until PPI in Chicago. There was a time where I just hated them so I wasn't all too thrilled with seeing them in Chicago. But I left a completely changed person and now I can't get enough of them! I've become such the "fan-girl", I'm just in complete awe when it comes to that band. :worship:

Irene

Same thing with me except it was at Progpower V and I have become a "fan boy" since I have a penis :)

Ruthven said:
Then I met them briefly at ProgPower. They were all friendly, but I am going to have to especially single out Jukka, Tuomas, and Marco. Then they put on an amazing show and Tarja had a very charismatic stage presence. And on top of everything else, their relationship with the Bruelands (who I never met, but the story was one of the most moving things I had heard in the metal community) showed me that this was a band worth my money and time.
...And then they made the Brueland/ProgPower story a part of Once, with Marc's voice on the CD during one song. Further evidence of NW's extreme coolness, and of how 'special' that night was, in ways that most folks in the audience at ProgPower didn't realize at the time. I'm honored and humbled to have been a part of that, as Nightwish's co-sponsor. A pity the article about Marc is no longer on the ProgPower site; it's a part of ProgPower history that shouldn't fade too quickly into obscurity.

I'd definitely have to go with Rage and Brainstorm. Everyone else had pretty much met my expectations. I'd say Mercenary, but I fucking loved them after checking them out after the announcement. So that doesn't count. ;)

MetalRose said:
I know, but my computer at work doesn't have speakers... and my home computer is my step dad's...He's got so much crap on it, that there is hardly enough memory to DL songs.

-MetalRose

You need to sneak some headphones to your work, if the computer at work has a sound card in it, or add another hard drive to your step-dads computer. :loco:

Bryant

For me this goes way back to the first Progpower. A few friends of mine were always trying to get me to listen to Symphony X, yet I never got around to it. First PP in Chicago I was pushed to a section (near the kitchen door of JJ Kelleys) where I could see SX as clear as a bell and I was hooked! Went out and bought just about every cd I could get my hands on.

And yes, I could kick myself for not getting into them sooner, but what can you do?

For some reason (which is still a puzzle to me), I had this problem with both Nightwish and Rage.
Now I love both bands and own everything they've ever done. If you are also a Rage fan, you know how many cds that is! They've put out a cd almost every year since the mid 80s! Speaking of which, it has been over a year since Soundchaser, so shouldn't there be new Rage cd by now?

BlindPanzer said:
Same thing with me except it was at Progpower V and I have become a "fan boy" since I have a penis :)

That show was amazing, it's ashame you weren't into them before because I don't know if you could appreciate that almost 100% perfect setlist they played, the only thing that was missing was Reconciliation. "Inside" was the best song I have ever seen and heard live, Gildenlow was jumping around like Jack Skellington in the Nightmare Before Christmas :headbang:

For me, those bands were Balance Of Power, Nightingale, and Circle II Circle. For the most part, I try to acquaint myself with as much material from each band before seeing them. If anything, I'm more surprised by the bands that play the kick-off party. Magistral, Stride, and Prymary were great!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Yes, I remember Stride being very good. They did a Rush cover and I felt the singer came as close to Geddy's voice as anyone I've ever heard.

After their appearances at ProgPower, I most definetly got into Zero Hour, Edguy (which I knew little before the fest) and Devin Towsend. Also, thanks to ProgPower I got into Rage, Mercenary, Vanden Plas and Redemption! \m/

Cool, hearing that someone got into Devy's stuff after seeing him at ProgPower kinda makes my night. (I was Devy's co-sponsor, along with Jim "too kvlt to come watch the PPUSA V band he sponsored" Raggi. :tickled: )

BABS said:
Yes, I remember Stride being very good. They did a Rush cover and I felt the singer came as close to Geddy's voice as anyone I've ever heard.

Absolutely! That was a particularly good year for the Pre-Party, although all of the pre-parties (excepting possibly the first year's, which ironically was booked by my roommate) have had a good-to-excellent selection of bands.

Now if only Stride could make good with that promo CD they promised to mail me that year after their show. :Spin: ;) :D