Anyone here NOT believe in the death penalty? If so, do

yep, the system is fucked. which is why state-sponsored execution is a nightmare.

looking.glass.eyes.jpg

I'm mainly at a loss as to how the cost of housing an inmate - whether for life or for death - which, at last glance, costs less per year than your wonderful tax sponsored war on terror does per hour, and which costs the life of many more innocents than all the miscreants and deviants can manage in America, could be seen as financially objectionable.

Décadent;6201604 said:
I'm mainly at a loss as to how the cost of housing an inmate - whether for life or for death - which, at last glance, costs less per year than your wonderful tax sponsored war on terror does per hour, and which costs the life of many more innocents than all the miscreants and deviants can manage in America, could be seen as financially objectionable.

I'm very liberal on the subject of the war... Part of the reason being for the cost of it. Other reasons are there of course, but partly because of cost.

One innocent life is not worth the postponement of justice for a thousand. For as the system stands now, these thousand criminals will one day be back out on the street, many of which will return to claim the lives of dozens. If you have commited murder, what stops you from commiting the same act upon release? Afterall, we're not talking about your fantasy world of life long prison sentences without possibility of parole, nor are we talking about my trumped up ideas of judicial jugular deveining. If we are solely talking about REALITY, the reality is simple... Watch the fucking news!!!

Awww how cute...
0_61_091806_electrocution01.jpg

When are you going to be able to get this in your head; PEOPLE WITH LIFE IN PRISON WITHOUT PAROLE DO NOT GET RELEASED FROM PRISON. In light of this, please refrain from using the argument "people with life imprisonment will kill again upon release," because THEY WON'T BE RELEASED. For at least the second time, this conversation is about life sentence vs death sentence only, not whatever sentence the judge gives to a murderer that you feel should get the death penalty instead. My only argument is that life imprisonment is a more humane alternative to execution. I have no interest in your bloodlust, seeking death for every murderer, rapist, and molester in the world. That's your own issue, and I'm not touching it.

Consider: In the year 2000, 308 inmates were paroled on murder charges from the Illinois Department of Corrections. Of those, 93 were sent back to prison, but only 10, or 3.2 percent, were sent back after committing another murder.

Your system results in 10 innocent victims meeting their end. Most of which were more than likely children, who are oblivious to the wrongs of the world.

I hope the lives of 308 heads of cattle were worth it.

If you knew the context of this incident, you would know upon whom to put the blame. At that time, the Illinois Department of Corrections was in a turmoil due to the fact that they discovered multiple people on death row to have been innocent, and that faulty evidence had been concocted in a DNA lab by somebody who knew nothing about DNA, and nobody knows how that person even got the job. So instead of putting any innocent lives to death, they released them all. So blame the Illinois Department of Corrections for incompetence. Here's a little 2000 background for Illinois:

Jan. 18: Steve Manning, a former Chicago cop sentenced to death on the word of a jailhouse informant, becomes the state's 13th exonerated Death Row prisoner.

Jan. 24: The Tribune reports that Gino DiVito "has yet to producea report of his findings, and many of the most prominent players in the case say DiVito has not interviewed them."

Jan. 30: Ryan declares a moratorium on executions, saying it will be in effect until he can be morally certain that no innocent person will face execution in Illinois.

Feb. 16: In a letter published in the Tribune, Gino DiVito says he working diligently on the Ford Heights Four investigation.

March 7: The Tribune publishes a poll showing that support for the death penalty among Illinois voters has declined to 58 percent from 63 percent a year earlier. In 1994, support stood at 76 percent.

March 9: Ryan announces a Commission on Capital Punishment to study flaws in the administration of the Illinois death penalty and recommend reform.

July 29-30: At a conference in Virginia, Illinois lawyers involved in death penalty appeals explore the possibility of seeking clemency for all Death Row prisoners.

Sept. 26: The DuPage County Board approves a $3.5 million settlement of civil claims against officials involved in the wrongful convictions of Cruz and Hernandez.

And out of those 3500, not one has escaped to commit murder? Not one has killed a fellow inmate serving a sentence on a lesser crime? Not one has put a prison guard out of commission?

Probably, but you can go look up statistics on your own to verify instead of assuming it. However, your position would guarantee 3,500 people dead, which is not a good thing, as opposed to a potential 0 people dead under life sentences. And lastly, the quality of the prison itself dictates a criminal's likelihood to commit a crime in prison. Bureaucracies stifle many prisons from being properly funded, lacking, most importantly, surveillance equipment, guards, and weapons. With higher quality security, the risk of murders within prisons would greatly decline.

A very heated topic, no doubt, but at the end of the day I tend to look at it from an economical angle.

Better prisons, with proper funding and training, means more jobs. Mandatory life sentences with no parole for the appropriate crimes.

Man is too flawed to carry out the death penalty, ends up being nothing more than murder with a glorified name. That's not to say that some don't deserve it.... indeed some do, hell, some deserve torture.

But, what truly elevates another is the ability to not demean oneself to that absolute lowest denominator which would find one performing the exact action that you are trying to condemn. Take out all circumstances and situations and rationalizations, when it is said and done it is the act of killing.

LUCASVILLE, Ohio (AP) — A condemned man appeared to gasp several times and took an unusually long time to die — more than 20 minutes — in an execution carried out Thursday with a combination of drugs never before tried in the U.S.

Dennis McGuire's attorney Allen Bohnert called the convicted killer's execution "a failed, agonizing experiment" and added: "The people of the state of Ohio should be appalled at what was done here today in their names."

McGuire's lawyers had attempted last week to halt his execution, arguing that the untried method could lead to a medical phenomenon known as "air hunger" and cause him to suffer "agony and terror" while struggling to catch his breath.

McGuire, 53, made loud snorting noises during one of the longest executions since Ohio resumed capital punishment in 1999. Nearly 25 minutes passed between the time the lethal drugs began flowing and McGuire was pronounced dead at 10:53 a.m.

Ohio prisons spokeswoman JoEllen Smith had no comment on how the execution proceeded but said a review will be conducted as usual.

Prison officials used intravenous doses of two drugs, the sedative midazolam and the painkiller hydromorphone, to put McGuire to death for the 1989 rape and fatal stabbing of a pregnant newlywed, Joy Stewart.

The method was adopted after supplies of a previously used drug dried up because the manufacturer declared it off limits for capital punishment.

Executions with the former method were typically much shorter and did not cause the kind of sounds McGuire uttered.

The execution is certain to launch a new round of federal lawsuits over Ohio's injection procedure. The state has five more executions scheduled this year, with the next one to come on Feb. 19.

What was particularly unusual Thursday was the five minutes or so that McGuire lay motionless on the gurney after the drugs began flowing, followed by a sudden snort and then more than 10 minutes of irregular breathing and gasping. :lol: :lol: Normally, movement comes at the beginning and is followed by inactivity.

"Oh, my God," his daughter, Amber McGuire, said as she observed her father's final moments.

In pressing for the execution to go ahead, Assistant Ohio Attorney General Thomas Madden had argued that while the U.S. Constitution bans cruel and unusual punishment, "you're not entitled to a pain-free execution."

U.S. District Judge Gregory Frost sided with the state. But at the request of McGuire's lawyers, he ordered officials to photograph and preserve the drug vials and packaging and the syringes.

A few minutes before McGuire was put to death, Ohio prison director Gary Mohr said he believed the state's planning would produce "a humane, dignified execution" consistent with the law.

Why has the country become so fucking pussified that we cant just take a damn machete to a murderous cunt's innards like some free thinking societies in the Far East and Sub-Amazon do? I'm completely baffled liberal latte sipping political quarterbacks are in e-vexation over human waste gasping like a guppy. Cut off their feet, kill them! 24 years to put down a rapid dog, and only in America must it be done in a humane fashion. A slug behind the ear costs 99 cents.

The wife was telling me about this yesterday.
I, too, :lol: at the snorting bit

I don't know what to say about this. I struggle to believe anyone besides the guys lawyer gives a shit - he doesn't either, he just has to say *something*

I'm more flabbergasted that an offender of this nature wasn't beaten with clubs and firebrands by a rabid mob seconds after being convicted

The guy kidnapped a young pregnant woman, raped her and then stabbed her to death. Before confessing, he tried to pin it on his brother-in-law. Aside from his confession, they also had DNA evidence. Let's hope he suffered before his death.

I have no moral qualms with putting the guilty to death. My concerns lie with the state's ability to approve guilt. Too many death row inmates have later been proven innocent. I believe death penalty cases need to meet a higher evidentiary standard than merely "reasonable doubt". However, if that standard is met, I could care less how painful the execution is.