Anyone here NOT believe in the death penalty? If so, do

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
:mad:

GALVESTON, Texas — A man charged with injuring his daughter by putting her in a microwave oven also placed her in a refrigerator and in a hotel room safe, a police detective testified Tuesday.

Joshua Mauldin, 19, of Warren, Ark., tossed his daughter on one hotel room bed, then the other, then struck her in the groin before putting her in the appliances and safe, Galveston Police Detective Holly Johnson during a bail reduction hearing.

State District Judge Susan Criss denied the request to reduce Mauldin's bail from $250,000 to $100,000.

The May 10 incident happened as Mauldin, his wife and daughter were moving to Galveston, where Mauldin planned to be a preacher. Left alone in the hotel room with his daughter, Mauldin "became agitated," Johnson said.

Investigators found human tissue in the microwave that matched the burns on the left side of the girl's face and her left hand. Police said the infant was in the oven 10 to 20 seconds.

The two-month-old girl, who had two skin grafts, was released from the Shriners Burn Hospital on Monday and into the care of foster parents who were trained on how to tend to her medical needs.

During the hearing, Johnson also said the girl's mother, Eva Marie Mauldin, did not appear to be protective of the infant. Eva Marie Mauldin has defended her husband, saying Satan was to blame for his actions.

The judge ordered a competency hearing for Joshua Mauldin, who was taking depression medication, according to his attorney, Charles Kaufmann.

im tired of hearing about this. it's impossible to escape this story down here

pretty sick, though. galveston is about 1 hour from where i grew up.

Yeah, doesn't he know cooking a baby in the microwave makes the meat really tough? You have to slowly rotisserie grill...

I suppose this is one of the rare occasions I nod to state approved execution. I'd normally prefer the family of the victim did it themselves.

I have no problem with killing the guilty. Hell, in respect to people like the one described above, I could care less if we tortured them for weeks at a time, before finally executing them. However, I worry about the state's competence in determining guilt. Let's face it, the government, at all levels and within all branches, has displayed gross incompetence at handling even the most simplistic of tasks. Add to this equation, juries are typically made up of uneducated people. If you've ever witnessed the jury selection process, you know it's quite typical to eliminate college educated jurors from the pool. It's amazing how many people who are put in jail, are later exonerated.

So, in theory, I not only support the death penalty, but believe its use should be widened to include rapists and child molesters. However, in practice, I have concerns about the state's ability to determine guilt and innocence,

Zod

That is why we need professional jurors to determine such cases. The funds to cover such salaries can easily be obtained with the surplus of funding that currently goes to housing these demons for two decades in Ritz Carlton designed institutions of repentance. We also need to re-institute public executioning to set an example to all the pedophiles, rapists, and thieves who run amok amongst us. Think about the children, by educating them with a front row seat to Gallowmania 2008. If you're deleterious to society, you die, plain and simple. And no I'm not including the elderly or disabled, just scumbags who prey on the innocent. Pull the troops out of Iraq today, they can be better served fighting terrorism at home.

That is unless the crime being committed is drowning a kitten right?

No, and I wasn't among the people who said that in that thread.

The only time that the death of another individual is necessary is if his life is an imminent threat to the lives of others, such as a dictator whose regime simply can't be overthrown, and instead he has to be assassinated, or something to that effect. If you already have somebody in custody, there's no need to kill them. It's just senseless violence, and I consider it to be unconscionable.

the whole "let them rot in jail for the rest of their lives" argument really holds no merit. first of all, how many countries truly have "life sentences"? apparently norway's harshest sentence is 21 years. in the US, a life sentence must come with "no possibility of parole" added on the end. add to that the ever present possibility of the person getting out on a technicality.

even if the guy "rots in jail", he's still living off of my tax dollars and yours. just get rid of him. what is he adding to society?

there was this movie once where all convicted criminals were sent to an island to fend for themselves. now that's a novel idea.