anyone here NOT using TS every time?

However I'm not to big on not boosting the DR.

events-dneglondon.jpg

I know this is a VERY moot point but James Hetfield didn't use one on the earlier albums.. (the good ones)
I can tell you straight that the Mark IIC+ (Justice) and the Mark IV (black album) don’t need any. The EQ section (pre-gain stack) is more than enough to get the “ts-like” tightness.

Vht UL is beyond tight.

No boost on rhythm tracks ever.

I use the ts on leads though.... 0% gain 100% level. Clean boost. I like the mid hump on the leads. nice compression......nice sustain.

Same here, I would only use a TS for solos. But I'd never go for 'not boosting' the rhythm, so yeh, SD-1 all the way. If someone can actually convince me that a "TS is the shit for rhythm", I'd call that person GOD.

I do find it rather bizarre that people pay all that money for the finest high gain valve amplifiers and yet they still need to put some "cheap shit" solid state technology pedal in front of it to make it sound decent. :lol:

Yeah, it's a good thing we can identify cheap shit so easily by just counting the tubes.

I don't think you're going far enough. Amps should come with the best pickups that they could possibly be paired with, so that no tweaking between guitar and amp is necessary - and it goes without saying that the cables should be bundled in as well, for that kind of money. What really grinds my gears, though, is that I could go spend two grand on an amplifier and it *won't come with someone who can play through it* - as important as the player himself is, they're letting me spend this much money but leave out one of the most important aspects of tone?

Bunch of fucking wankers, those amp manufacturers.

Jeff

I used to use an OD808 but recently got rid of it.

I liked the tightening aspect on recordings, but found it thinned out the guitars a bit too much for live use. And no amount of tweaking would bring back the girth lost...I mean, I could boost the lows or what have you, but the voicing shift didn't lend itself to the same tone. Switching off the boost, I was instantly more satisfied. Now, I hope it spills over into recording. I've yet to use a boost for my bands releases, although I did use the OD808 on our demos we did in the spring (and I liked the result...eek!).

Are you saying Ride The Lightning wasn't a good album?

Kill 'Em All was Marshall boosted with a ProCo Rat
Ride The Lightning was a Marshall with a TS

Anything after that was mainly Mark Series Boogies, and I don't think anyone would ever need to use a TS with a Mark Series Boogie, not in the sense of tightening up the low end anyway.

Hmm... I stand corrected. I remember reading an interview of James saying he didn't like using a boost.