Anyone know any info on Speaker of the Dead

hks350d

Sep 8, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Like as far as anything that was done differently from other Sturgis albums?

It has a really different feel compared to most of his other stuff.

Just interested in any info...and the presets

haha jk but really

Cymbals are real. Toms are samples from the drummer's set. Snare is Slate (plus maybe another sample, not sure), Kick is Slate
Guitars are Podfarm. No info on bass other than the sinewave trick. Really not much different than his other new stuff

It's easy to get this sort of sound. You just have to work really, really hard for a very long time, have great ears and a criminal understanding of your room and gear. From my understanding Joey still works in an untreated room.

It's easy to get this sort of sound. You just have to work really, really hard for a very long time, have great ears and a criminal understanding of your room and gear. From my understanding Joey still works in an untreated room.

guess that works for him

It makes you wonder if his mixes sound worse but his room has boosts and deficits in the right frequencies that it tricks him into making his mix sound better to the rest of us haha

That's more than likely not the case but would be funny if it were true

Maybe I should just type Joey Sturgis and when he Sneap Searches himself today and sees this newer post he'll tell us lol

Yo dude, since you're here tell us: your room treated?

this

the idea is to eliminate the note entirely from the original bass track, and replace it with the clean sine. you treat the original bass track like any other bass track, add grit or distortion or whatever you wanna do, even apply normal eq's like you would. then at the end of the chain, high pass the shit out of it and then low pass at the same frequency on the sine wave

At first this mix sounded badass. Then i started to get bored so quickly it surprised me. I can barely hear the bass. Guitars are ok but sometimes sounding a bit odd. Maybe too artificial? Vocals are good. And The bassdrum and snare are just too slate. Great samples but the bassdrum is a bit too plastic to me. Plus gallows was a better album.

At first this mix sounded badass. Then i started to get bored so quickly it surprised me. I can barely hear the bass. Guitars are ok but sometimes sounding a bit odd. Maybe too artificial? Vocals are good. And The bassdrum and snare are just too slate. Great samples but the bassdrum is a bit too plastic to me. Plus gallows was a better album.

i don't really listen to this style of music... but i recently bought it on itunes because a friend recommended it.

i do like a lot of joey's productions: before their eyes/i am abomination/let's get it... etc.

but i have to say this production (as far as i'm concerned) is the most massive (sonically/spatially) record i have ever heard come out of sturgis!

that's weird that you "can barely hear the bass" because (imo) the bass is one of the best things about this record! :eek:

i guess it really depends on what you are comparing it to.

I don't know why but it just doesn't stand out enough for me. And the same thing happens in many of his mixes. I like what nordström did with the bass for i killed the orom queen. Somehow meatier.

I'm not dissing the album itself. It's their second best imo but nothing compared to goodbye to the gallows.

Can someone share more about this sine trick? Sounds interesting. Is the aim to have the bass completely replaced with synth while retaining the mids/highs of the bass track as normal?

If so, I'm guessing you have to program the bass track manually?