Anyone know anything about shitty Gateways and Vista?

Phoenix5

d3v4s7a710n
May 14, 2005
Nebraska
I have a DX series desktop that gets to the Vista Welcome screen and does it's loading thing and never stops.

Any ideas?

It's one of 2 things: RAM problem or HD problem. Bad sectors on the hard drive could prevent certain things from loading, or certain items can't load to bad areas in RAM.

You could reinstall if it's a HD problem, as most likely the items will be installed to different sectors of the hard drive, and it may work. If it's ram, it'll do the same thing, and it may not even reinstall, giving you a blue screen during the reinstall process.

Download an item called Hirens Boot Disc, burn it to CD, and run Memtest86+ and Test Hard Disk Drive. Should identify the problem from there.

Yeah all that would be good if I could actually access anything on my computer. I bought it from Best Buy and they do free diagnostics within 1 year of the purchase date. I might as well take it in.

I have a DX series desktop that gets to the Vista Welcome screen and does it's loading thing and never stops.

Any ideas?

Gateway pc's are tough to work on imo.

That being said, try booting windows via a disc. Or go into your menu before the start up and try running in safe mode WITH networking. If that works, then its not a hardware issue. But most likely a hd issue.

Do you have 2 hd's? or a rescue disc? Try booting a different sector.

Yeah all that would be good if I could actually access anything on my computer. I bought it from Best Buy and they do free diagnostics within 1 year of the purchase date. I might as well take it in.

Your computer is NOT Windows Vista so you don't need to be in the operating system to use the tools that Eric suggested. Acquire the tools via another computer and run them. Memtest is generally put on a Floppy; all you need to do is boot from the Floppy but you may have to change the boot order in BIOS. If you don't allow the BIOS to retrieve the MBR on the hard drive then it won't try to load Vista. You could even use another hard drive with a different OS on it to see if it boots. Again, the OS isn't the computer; it's software that allows you to perform tasks using the computer.

Also, you can simply reseat the RAM and test out one stick at a time rather than running Memtest since Memtest can take anywhere from 1-8 hours. But when you do this, make sure you ground yourself on the case and make sure the computer is off and unplugged.

Vister runs ok here. What you want is the 64 bit pirated version with vista loader 2.13 or higher.

:lol:

I run windows xp colossus version 2 reloaded.

If you know what you're doing, it's a great version :kickass:

But fuck vista, and my buddies on fark tell me windows 7 fails as well.

55438252qb1.jpg

I'm not one to listen to random kids from Fark or any other site. I'm still gonna test it, and Vista runs fine here too.

Vister runs ok here. What you want is the 64 bit pirated version with vista loader 2.13 or higher.

I gave Vista 3 tried before I reverted back to XP x64 last year. The first issue was with RC2 of Vista so it wasn't so crucial to my decision but the other two issues were with Vista x64 final release. I run a x86 version of Vista but it's kept in a VM.

I'm almost tempted to get a x86 version of Windows 7 when it's released because I'm paranoid of the supported drivers and software. Some software considers XP x64 a server-class OS so it won't support it. It's almost more of a pain in the ass and you don't really notice any benefit to using a x64 OS over a x86 version.

Considering 7 is supposed to be a trimmed and streamlined version of Vista at the core, x64 drivers shouldn't be hard to have ready by release. But we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not having any issues with this particular ISO, and I was able to procure 64 bit drivers for everything, though it did take some creative searching for a while.

Which I did do. I trimmed things like 3D window switching and transparency. I also sped up startup time and shut off auto defrag and search indexing. I did leave Aero on since both my systems laugh at its requirements, but only for the window dressings.

As for 7, I'm waiting for beta 2, I never test Alphas or b1s.

Considering 7 is supposed to be a trimmed and streamlined version of Vista at the core, x64 drivers shouldn't be hard to have ready by release. But we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not having any issues with this particular ISO, and I was able to procure 64 bit drivers for everything, though it did take some creative searching for a while.

The first time I ran Vista x64 final, I had issues with my sound card drivers working properly. Eventually, a better driver was released but even up until right before I reverted, there was an issue with when I changed the amount of speakers and the volume. For example, I run 7.1 on my computer but at night, I'll put on my headphones and change the surround mode from 7.1 to headphones. With Vista when I did this, the volume would turn itself all the way up.

Also there were other issues like incompatibilities of specific software. I've almost been tempted to go back to Vista until the release of Windows 7 but at the same time, I'm not sure if I really want to reinstall everything and reconfigure everything that I have changed. I don't like multi-booting so that's not an option and the drivers that VMs use are generally too generic to get anything out of them that is performance based. Then there is the decision of either going back to x64 or trying x86, since I have both versions. Great thing about being a computer science student is getting free software from Microsoft.

What sound card do you use?

And you don't actually need to go to Vista unless you're like me and sard 64 XP, I'm just weird that way.