Anyone know anything about shitty Gateways and Vista?

I installed it on a dual boot on the lappy. It actually runs quite well, I'm giving it good marks so far. Less fidgety then a beta should be, and more cooperative then Vista was when I got it as an OEM release.

No matter what o/s i am useing i always start off by opening msconfig,choosing selective startup,then unchecking all startup items.This does not mess with any of your programs it just makes it so that they are not running in the background at all times eating up precious memory.This may not help you till you get booted but i would suggest this to everyone who wants there machine to kiss ass all the time. So for vista users click start.Then type msconfig in your start search bar.Click the selective startup option and deselect everything,click on apply and then reboot.You will not be sorry and you should check every week or two and deselect any items that have reloaded.your machine will boot twice as fast and un bette overall.And if for some crazy reason your not happy with the results just go back and turn all the memoy eating programs back on.....Later............

Start-up items are just the programs that run when you boot. Click on services if you want to get rid of background processes. Or if you want to get rid of un-needed registries get a hijack this log. I don't recommend messing with that if you don't know what you are doing.

Also I don't mind the multi-boot, but I have a P.O.S PC so I'm not even going to bother until I upgrade.

also Linux Live-Boots are cool, like David said they don't mess with your system.

Also I'm going to check out 7 in a bit, I haven't read much on it.

Steve - I've also had problems with my sound when I ran Vista (not 64 though) but then again, I have a very shity sigmatel integrated sound-card. This thread really makes me hate my PC. It is time i invest in either penis enlargment or build my own system......hmmmmmmmm.

so which will it be.....

While your PC is booting, press the F8 key on the keyboard a few times. This will give you a screen and ask you if you want to boot into safe mode. When booting in safe mode you will get a list of drivers that are loading and system items that are starting up.

Where does it stop loading?

If its MUP.sys, your gonna have to do a system restore or re-install of vista.

If it doesnt stop and loads windows, run a disk check, and a defrag, then try booting again.

Steve - I've also had problems with my sound when I ran Vista (not 64 though) but then again, I have a very shity sigmatel integrated sound-card. This thread really makes me hate my PC. It is time i invest in either penis enlargment or build my own system......hmmmmmmmm.

:lol: Another reason why I'm skeptical of giving Vista another shot. I want the GUI but fuck, I don't want the issues but I'm sure the issues I had aren't issues anymore. Rebuild your computer and just continue to have sex with small animals with your current wang.

Should I install Vista?! So tempted!

:lol: Another reason why I'm skeptical of giving Vista another shot. I want the GUI but fuck, I don't want the issues but I'm sure the issues I had aren't issues anymore. Rebuild your computer and just continue to have sex with small animals with your current wang.

Should I install Vista?! So tempted!

Then rebuild my PC and sex with small animals it is.

2mpidc6.jpg

Still running smoothly, but my concerns are shown in the AIM box.

Okay, so I got my pc back from Best Buy...

It was some hard drive problem and thank god it was under warranty.

So, now I have issues with my sound....

Issues meaning that it straight up doesn't work and hasn't worked since I got it back...

Any ideas? I have plenty of time to try to fix this one as I'm back at school and never have anything to do unless I'm at baseball...

Go to the gateway site, go to the driver downloads section, enter the model number, look for the sound driver for you computer, install.

Also, hard drive problem most likely = bad sectors = I WIN ONCE AGAIN!

Physical damage to parts of the magnetic platter. Someone probably dropped it.

:lol: Reminds me of this drive I ran a forensics on. I punched my computer when I was drunk and pissed back in 2003 and fucked up this drive. I finally got around to recovering it and every sector was bad. It's funny how the slightest bump can yield a catastrophic result.

Finally got this entire thing taken care of.

I think I've learned my lesson.

Never buy Gateway.

Never buy from Best Buy.

Learn how to do shit myself.

Urinate less.