Anyone know how to record iPhone gameplay?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys, I have a YouTube channel for my games website, and I have a Hauppauge HD PVR for PS3, Xbox 360, PS2 etc etc. I also have a Flip HD, and since iPhones and iPod Touches don't have video output, I tried recording gameplay with the flip HD. Strangely, the video of the screen is blurry as hell, which is odd because it can capture my laptop screen and TV fine. For instance, here's a video I made playing The Dark Knight Rises game which I received a review copy of:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXwHYX19NNg&list=UUjNyJfuJVyr5u96Cxdhu-EA&index=2&feature=plcp[/ame]

You can see that everything in the background is clear, but the iPod itself is really blurry. I googled it and I'm definitely not the only one with this problem. I'm guessing maybe it has something to do with the refresh rate or something? Anyway, it seems like the only way to screen record it is to jailbreak it and use some program, but I see a ton of gameplay vids on YouTube. So does anyone have a better idea? Thanks in advance!

It appears as though your camera cannot focus at that distance. Most reviewers of mobile games do not use screen captures, but rather a shot of the phone to show the response to gestures. The best solution is to get a better camera. The flip cameras are exceptionally bad, even compared to other products in their class.

It appears as though your camera cannot focus at that distance. Most reviewers of mobile games do not use screen captures, but rather a shot of the phone to show the response to gestures. The best solution is to get a better camera. The flip cameras are exceptionally bad, even compared to other products in their class.

The flip is fine, I've used it on plenty of things to great effect. Like I stated it can even record my LCD TV and laptop screen fine. I tried every distance imaginable, there's something about the iTouch's screen that cameras can't seem to pick up right

I just spent some more time searching, and apparently you need something called a macro lens. Apparently they make an attachment for the iPhone itself for this lens, I don't know if there's one for the Flip HD though

Quick googling lead me to this:

http://www.sameshow.com/democreator/article/record-iphone-screen.html

Ofcourse that records just what's happening on the screen and not your thumbs etc. Plus it's only free as a trial but i bet you can find more programs that achieve the same thing and maybe for free.

If i remember correctly there's a program that lets you view the iphone screen on your pc for free(?). So you could use that plus a program that records what's happening on your pc screen and then a bit cropping to get only the iphone screen visible.

That's all i can thing of.

Quick googling lead me to this:

http://www.sameshow.com/democreator/article/record-iphone-screen.html

Ofcourse that records just what's happening on the screen and not your thumbs etc. Plus it's only free as a trial but i bet you can find more programs that achieve the same thing and maybe for free.

If i remember correctly there's a program that lets you view the iphone screen on your pc for free(?). So you could use that plus a program that records what's happening on your pc screen and then a bit cropping to get only the iphone screen visible.

That's all i can thing of.

Hey, I tried looking for the program they're talking about but it's not on the iTunes store... and this is the only program I've heard of to do this. I've even come across threads made by iphone game developers just wanting to record gameplay to make a trailer for their game, and if you don't want to jailbreak, it seems almost impossible. If you have a devkit you can apparently do it easier, but there's no way I'm doing that just to record gameplay

It has nothing to do with the refresh rate, the camera simply can't focus that close to the screen. The fixed focus range on the flip starts at 6 feet away according to their website.

It has nothing to do with the refresh rate, the camera simply can't focus that close to the screen. The fixed focus range on the flip starts at 6 feet away according to their website.

Hmm... interesting. I think I tried about 3-4 feet away but I will try again at 6. Thanks!