videogames: story vs gameplay

Pancakes said:
I'd just like to point out at this point, in reference to one of Luminous' previous posts, that Minsc did not have a mouse, IT WAS A HAMSTER.

That is all, please continue.

Exactly. A very intelligent space hamster, mind you. Sort of like Hamtaro. GO FOR THE EYES BOO, GO FOR THE EYES!! EVIL, MEET SWORD, SWORD MEET EVIIIIIIIIIL!

Minsc = My favorite character from Baldur's Gate. :)

LuminousAether said:
How could anyone say that Minsc wasn't memorable? He kicked ass.

That's true, Baldur's Gate was a bad example for me to use. Even though there isn't MUCH character development, the characters themselves, their charm and their quirks, are enough to make them loveable and memorable.

LuminousAether said:
Diablo 2... I played that game probably a grand total of 500 hours. It is the second most played game I have ever played, the first being Starcraft (I probably played over 4,000 games online, if that's only 20 minutes each (very low estimate) that's still well over 1,000 hours).

Yes, Starcraft is also my most played game. It is godlike.

I like an equal balance of both...i love Xenogears but i had a few gripes about the gameplay...same with Xenosaga...I loved Valkyrie Profile because the story was interesting and the gameplay owned me...I love Zelda games because even though the stories are simple they are still cool and Zelda games have near perfect gameplay....
equal balance!

On the video game channel, G4, they had a Top 10 storyline of all time show. Guess which game won the number one spot? The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I about shat myself when they said that, that game had almost no story and I would say that the story it did have was weak as hell. At least Chrono Trigger got number 2... but...

Here's what I'd put as the top 10 stories in video games (feel free to do your own):

1. Xenogears
2. Planescape: Torment
3. Starcraft
4. Resident Evil series
5. Final Fantasy 6
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Vagrant Story
8. Legacy of Kain series
9. Phantasy Star IV
10. Thief: the Dark Project

LuminousAether said:
I think you are missing the point. Wild Arms 3 is just a typical cookie cutter rpg, like the Breath of Fire series used to be. But what I mean by a game being focused on gameplay, the gameplay of course needs to be better than average.

Your comparison is very unfair. I mean, does this statement actually mean anything valid:

I'd rather have an emphasis on gameplay instead of a cliched and contrived story.

???

Of course not. Sure, a focus on story is better than boring gameplay, but that's not the point at all. Awesome gameplay is better than awesome story, at least in my opinion. If I want an awesome story, I'll just read a book, not suffer through endless mundane battles.

Yeah, you're right.

On the video game channel, G4, they had a Top 10 storyline of all time show. Guess which game won the number one spot? The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I about shat myself when they said that, that game had almost no story and I would say that the story it did have was weak as hell. At least Chrono Trigger got number 2... but...
Not so...during its time, A Link To The Past was one of the most interesting RPG/Action game there was...it wasnt till a few years later when Secret Of Mana and Chrono Trigger came out that it was "dethroned"...

Come on, even Dragon Warrior 1 had a better story than A Link to the Past. By the time we get to Dragon Warrior 4, the story is at least 10 times as complex and interesting as a Zelda game (which I have never and will never play for story... sheesh... Zelda games are all about gameplay).

LuminousAether said:
Come on, even Dragon Warrior 1 had a better story than A Link to the Past. By the time we get to Dragon Warrior 4, the story is at least 10 times as complex and interesting as a Zelda game (which I have never and will never play for story... sheesh... Zelda games are all about gameplay).

Amen to that. Though, Dragon Warrior 7 is fucking long. I still haven't finished it. Stupid long...game...thing.

Did you ever play the Dragon Warrior for the SNES? Well, I think there were 2... but I've only played one... I believe it was 5. It wasn't that much different from the NES ones, especially in combat... but it had a pretty interesting story that I forget most of... but it was a fun game. If you liked the NES Dragon Warriors, definitely seek out the ROM for that game.

That said, I haven't played 7. I know it is the best selling PSX game in Japan... how good is it? I might hunt it down if its worth it.

Pancakes said:
I'd just like to point out at this point, in reference to one of Luminous' previous posts, that Minsc did not have a mouse, IT WAS A HAMSTER.

That is all, please continue.

Actually, wasn't it a 'Intelligent GIANT MIDGET space hamster'?

Speaking of Legacy of Kain, was anyone else hugely disappointed with Soul Reaver 2? While the puzzles were awesome, the story was awesome, and the gameplay was awesome... the game took like 14 hours to beat!! And there were no secrets or anything to hunt out... that was bullshit. Soul Reaver took like 50 hours to beat and there were plenty of secrets to find. Man... that pissed me off enormously when I finished Soul Reaver 2 so shortly.

LuminousAether said:
Speaking of Legacy of Kain, was anyone else hugely disappointed with Soul Reaver 2? While the puzzles were awesome, the story was awesome, and the gameplay was awesome... the game took like 14 hours to beat!! And there were no secrets or anything to hunt out... that was bullshit. Soul Reaver took like 50 hours to beat and there were plenty of secrets to find. Man... that pissed me off enormously when I finished Soul Reaver 2 so shortly.

Yeah. I was a little paranoid you'd say something else sucked, but yeah that's exactly how I felt, though I wasn't too pissed...I was rather annoyed at the length, esp cause everything seemed improved from the original otherwise
(am I the only one that fucking despised that cathedral type level with the spider vampires in the original? I can't remember which name they came under, but I hated them, annoyed the hell outta me)