videogames: story vs gameplay

LuminousAether

My name is Distance
Dec 22, 2001
Columbus, Ohio
www.hypnos.clan.st
In my opinion, gameplay is without a doubt the most important factor of a game, far higher than graphics or story, even in rpgs. But sadly, many people obviously disagree with me as games such as the Metal Gear Solid series and Xenosaga feature a focus on story, not on gameplay. Personally, I don't think a cutscene should ever be longer than a couple of minutes, and the gameplay following the cutscene should be at least an hour before another cutscene. But with Metal Gear Solid 2, you could get cutscene after cutscene which will take you almost an hour of cutscenes interrupted by about 5 minutes of gameplay. This is just sad, and the complete opposite of how a game should be. I remember the first time I played Metal Gear Solid, whenever my codec would beep I would groan. Whenever a cut scene would start I would groan as well. The reason is pretty simple, I knew that once it started there was most likely going to be a very long period without gameplay.

In contrast, look at an rpg like Morrowind. There are very few if any cutscenes, and the interaction with characters is not in a scripted movie-like scene, you can actually choose what to say and do in such a fashion that the results of your actions have a long-ranging impact and your quest features such leeway that you can play basically any way you want. That's the way a game should be, I shouldn't have to follow a set path with little to no character customization (Final Fantasy, I'm looking your way). With the popularity of gameplay based games like Grand Theft Auto, I hope this trend of cinematic slightly interactive games just goes the way of the dodo. I blame this trend on Final Fantasy 7, a game that made rpgs popular again but featured some pretty goddamn lengthy story segments which was only exacerbated by the follow-ups.

Depends on the game for me. I don't mind long cutscenes in an RPG, as long as the story is involving. However, it pisses me off when a game focuses so much on story that it completely disregards gameplay.

I'll elaborate later, gotta a lot of stuff going on right now.

It's ok that you go on saying: "games should be like this and not that, should incorporate more "X" factor and less of "y"". Anyway, I don't see things that way. I mean, if someone truly enjoy semi-interactive games with lenghty cut-scenes, heck why not? On the other hand, if a person is more into actual real time gameplay, then so be it. Some will say "Balance is the key" where others will say "the hell with meaningless level-up, neverending and boring dungeons...give me somethings tasteful (cut-scenes)". We play games for different reasons. Many die-hard FPS, driving, sport games fan will tell to RPG fans: "Why do you waste your time with such a boring game".

As for ME, I prefer actual story (and how everything is build over it) to gameplay, but that's just me. My games are not better than yours because of those aspects. It's not without saying that objectiveness in videos doesn't exist: graphics, gameplay, direction and even the soundtrack etc can be measurable to some extend IMO.

Sure, some rpgs that focus on gameplay can become VERY redundant such as Dark Cloud which became so repetitive that I couldn't stand it. But then again, most of my favorite rpgs were more based around gameplay, such as Vagrant Story, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, Morrowind, etc...

One rpg which I was hoping would be good that I got turned out to be very straddling the gameplay and story balance, it was Valkyrie Profile. Some of the levels were awesome, featuring side scrolling platforming with a lot of jumping puzzles and the combat was very sweet as well, with each character being able to attack by pressing one of the four buttons and you could string them in different orders creating combos that would get you items and experience if you could juggle the enemies in certain ways... but the story segments between levels could go over an hour... and that just really irritated me.

I play Starcraft Brood War and Adrenaline Gamer Mod for half-life so gameplay is the obvious answer :)

The answer is Half Life.

Edit: and Thief. These two have a great balance between the 2.

Unreal Tournament is pretty much 100% gameplay, and I love it too, so I'll lean towards gameplay.

This brings me to another pet peeve of mine in the terms of rpgs, combat animations taking too damn long! Look at the Legaia series, the first incarnation had battles that could last about 3 minutes. The game was fairly fun, and the combat was a bit deep... but the animations took so dreadfully long that they drug out the battles to a point where I just could not stand another battle so I took the game and threw it against the wall until it shattered (it was just a copied version), sparing myself the torment of ever playing it again. Jade Cocoon also suffered from this problem. Jade Cocoon was an alright Pokemon clone, but the battles again took forever due to horrendously long combat animations, so I stopped playing it as well. For the most part, the Final Fantasy series has skirted this issue, but the summons have always been the biggest culprits. God I hate those summons... I really wish they would be dropped from the series.

Actually the best game I've ever played is:

hamtaro.jpg

tottokohamtaro3-1.jpg

Thief was a very gameplay based game. Hell, I could easily spend a couple hours playing a level and the cutscenes between levels were fairly short and very stylishly awesome. Thief is without a doubt the best first person perspective game ever created, even topping the absolutely godlike King's Field 2.

LuminousAether said:
This brings me to another pet peeve of mine in the terms of rpgs, combat animations taking too damn long! Look at the Legaia series, the first incarnation had battles that could last about 3 minutes. The game was fairly fun, and the combat was a bit deep... but the animations took so dreadfully long that they drug out the battles to a point where I just could not stand another battle so I took the game and threw it against the wall until it shattered (it was just a copied version), sparing myself the torment of ever playing it again. Jade Cocoon also suffered from this problem. Jade Cocoon was an alright Pokemon clone, but the battles again took forever due to horrendously long combat animations, so I stopped playing it as well. For the most part, the Final Fantasy series has skirted this issue, but the summons have always been the biggest culprits. God I hate those summons... I really wish they would be dropped from the series.

Knights of the round is definitely the coolest spell, and it only took five minutes to cast

possessed said:
I like sports games for the most part, so I'm going to have to go with gameplay.
Saying that is the gaming equivalent of saying that Slipknot and Linking Park are your favourite bands.

changso said:
It's ok that you go on saying: "games should be like this and not that, should incorporate more "X" factor and less of "y"". Anyway, I don't see things that way. I mean, if someone truly enjoy semi-interactive games with lenghty cut-scenes, heck why not? On the other hand, if a person is more into actual real time gameplay, then so be it. Some will say "Balance is the key" where others will say "the hell with meaningless level-up, neverending and boring dungeons...give me somethings tasteful (cut-scenes)". We play games for different reasons. Many die-hard FPS, driving, sport games fan will tell to RPG fans: "Why do you waste your time with such a boring game".

As for ME, I prefer actual story (and how everything is build over it) to gameplay, but that's just me. My games are not better than yours because of those aspects. It's not without saying that objectiveness in videos doesn't exist: graphics, gameplay, direction and even the soundtrack etc can be measurable to some extend IMO.

Pretty much what I would have said had you not said it before me. :Spin:

This is a pretty silly subject, as we all play game for different reasons. I personally enjoy story above gameplay, which is why I LOVE Xenosaga. I enjoyed watching the story unfold more than I enjoyed playing it, and I was motivated to pass each dungeon by being rewarded with more storyline and cutscenes.

However, I am not about to say that more games should be entirely story-driven. That's not for me to say. I know there are plenty of people who hate cutscenes, and I'm not about to step on those people's tastes because I disagree with them.

And frankly, though I like storyline the best, I recognize that ALL aspects of a video game are important. I've played some games with amazing storylines that I've hated on account of poor gameplay and music, and vice-versa.

Video gaming, like any other taste, is very relative. One man's dream is another man's nightmare.

now, obviously a moderation of both story and gameplay is extremely important. sorrily this doesnt happen...atleast with too few games. there are exceptions though, Unreal Tournament was a great game, but there was no story...at all.

what is worse than ayhting else, are games that so obviously spent way too much tuime on the story, and didnt bother to improve the game play...for example : resident evil...the story was addictive...but d you know how many people HATED not being able to move while shooting? why did they do that? lack of gameplay engineering! thats why! the first half life was another example...the story was great at its time, but also the graphics werent as good as the other games coming out in its era, they couldve done much better than that...obviously they are making up for it in HLII....WHICH WILL BE AMAZING!!!