videogames: story vs gameplay

LuminousAether said:
Actually, I think Baldur's Gate has some of the most memorable characters ever. Imoen's constant bitching, Minsc and his mouse, Edwin's hilarious lunacy... I will remember them for far longer than many of the FF6 characters like Celes who I don't even remember at all.
Definitely, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are my 2 favorite games ever. Great story + gameplay. I love the way the characters talk to each other

I think a balance is necessary... Take for example, Vice City vs. Mafia... Vice City was fun, but Mafia kicked my ass because the story was SO much better and integrated almost PERFECTLY into the game... Not once did I question why I was doing something in the game, because it all made sense and was believable... I couldn't say that about Vice City, even though it was fun... (BTW, how does GTA1 compare to 2? Should I bother buying it?)

I agree that the Kain games are very thought out story-wise they are awesome games. Has anyone played the first Kain game Blood Omen? It's my favorite so far, awesome game. With that said Xenogears > everything.

Blood Omen made me go insane. It was a very very large game, and the difficulty was almost astronomic, even for me who has played countless video games. I never actually beat the game, but I would love to play it again sometime... maybe I'll buy a probably very overpriced copy some day...

But Soul Reaver was without a doubt the best. It was easily in my 10 favorite PSX games list.

LuminousAether said:
Blood Omen made me go insane. It was a very very large game, and the difficulty was almost astronomic, even for me who has played countless video games. I never actually beat the game, but I would love to play it again sometime... maybe I'll buy a probably very overpriced copy some day...

But Soul Reaver was without a doubt the best. It was easily in my 10 favorite PSX games list.

Yes, it was a very hard game, I cheated to get through it. I've seen copies for like $15 or $10 at EB games.

FangsFirst said:
I can't stand the top down of GTA1 and 2.

I think VC > 3 though cause it had a story, talking main character...and of course the additions (better graphics, more vehicles, etc)
I have a thing for 2d...I can't stand the newer GTA games (well, I can, but I don't find them anywhere near as good as the old ones...I think they kinda suck actually, haha)

LuminousAether said:
Spoken like a truly close-minded person.

Soul Reaver 1 and 2 both featured very complex and thought-provoking puzzles. Hell, those games aren't centered around combat at ALL! Soul Reaver 1 was centered around block puzzles (goddamn you block puzzles) and exploration while Soul Reaver 2 was centered around the story and the puzzles as exploration wasn't nearly as important.

Mortal Kombat was a blast to play, and the guy said sports games were like the nu metal of video games, not fighting games. Soul Calibre may be a tournament fighter, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the best games ever made.

And Metal Gear Solid... a nonstop fighting action game? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've never played it before, have you? :tickled:

you got me on that one. :tickled: