Anyone still making a LIVING off recording W/a STUDIO?!

To be able to stay alive in sweden i'd say you need to charge about 3-400$ a day and be booked 3-4weeks very month. And that is not impossible by any means but building up a brand/business name takes time. I have a job on the side, to have some stability.

close to 100 grand a year just to stay alive?? yikes. Or am I just getting thrown off by the fact that you're using the dollar sign $.

On week days I'm always full mixing/mastering. And weekends mixing live shows and/or renting a small P.A. I have. It's all I do for a living.

Matula said:
On week days I'm always full mixing/mastering. And weekends mixing live shows and/or renting a small P.A. I have. It's all I do for a living.

Yeah but how many people in Venezuela do you know that are in the same situation? You're the best known AE in the country, you always have work, but are there really a lot of other engineers/studios that are thriving there?

Btw great job with Scythe last Sunday, they sounded beautiful.

Remove over 50% in taxes, add studio accounting, rent, utilities, insurance and all the other mandatory expences of running a business and you're left with a rather modest income :(

And you're lucky in your country. Here in Italy we should pay 50% in taxes too, but we have to pay also all the services, etc....so it would be much more difficult.
Another problem is that in some place, the kids don't care anymore about the sound. Studio A is like Studio B.... bedroom is like big studio...they also see shitty musicians with milions of view on youtube...they don't care anymore about learn an instruments, etcc....