Anyone up for remixing/remastering a song or two?

Thank you very much! May even get some free time later on today to take a stab at this.

No Problem! I actually might do this some more... it will give me some insight into my own mixing...

I just think it sucks that I originally mixed it and got it mastered and pressed prior to finding this forum... :erk:

I'm also going to start tracking the DI's on guitars to try reamping... but I need to buy a DI and Radial for that to happen... so, maybe a month or two...

The second zip is corrupted.
The tracks are at very low level...we have to max the levels and after this we have no more room...
Expecially at 24 bit you have to record at the max you can without clipping. The guitars are low also and if I raise the level I can ear a big amount of noise..because the recording level.

Yeah, I noticed the low tracking levels. Although in the end, the song turns up fairly fine. I suppose I should post my mix of it here as well:

http://www.upload.celtiaproductions.co.uk/uploads/echoes_moonlapse6.mp3

Didn't go over it with autotune for hours, as it requires... it's still quite rough around the edges. I can't get the vocal sitting well, the guitars seem to have a few too many high mids, and the mastering on it is fucked! I think it's because of all the sub information in the bass... I crushed the living hell out of the track but could barely get any level out of it. Might attempt that again a bit later.

That's great Gavin! Your mixes are really improving a lot as time goes on man, I'd be quite proud :)

What verb unit did you end up using for that one?

Means a lot from you bro!

Verbs, fuck.

quite a few!

As i remember:

Voxengo oldskool verb on the vox harmonies under the solo (Mostly cause i'd never used it before)

Used Perfect space convolution (Sonar's) with lead vox.

Reverence on the Snare

Plus Cinematic verb on the screams...

Probably freeverb somewhere too but i'm fuckied if i can remember where :lol:

Moonlapse: Are the vocals that much out of tune that you would say "hours of auto tune"? Your mix sounds good though...

Gavin: with the exception of the mis-triggers, I like what you did with it...

Felipe: I can't get your link work. =\

Splat: I like the kick sound on yours...

I should mention, though I think I have already, that I recorded this about... wow... almost 10 months ago... before I knew this forum existed... I spent a good 6-8 months mixing, mixing, mixing... then scraping and starting over... I learned a lot with this doing it on my own... then, I learned a SHIT TON more since being here... I plan on remixing the whole album myself sometime soon... maybe even re-recording it all together...

The only thing I did to the files that you guys received was a little compression/gating...

Also... I had a hard time balancing the sound that we were going for... 50% rock, 50% metal... thats why my mix turned out the way it did...

I personally think auto tune ruins the feel of the song... I could spend a lot of time defending the vocals because I REALLY like that they aren't 100% perfect like most pop vocals...

Other than that, I really liked hearing your takes on mixing the song... put my mix into perspective... Thanks guys!

:headbang: :kickass: :worship:

Thanks Gavin! I really like the sound of reverence on the snare. I try to minimize my use of verbs to 2 or 3 max... if you use too many all at once, you can disjoint the overall ambient environment of the track. Now.. to hunt for reverence... hehe.

@Audiohile: Sorry if I offended anyone by the 'hours of autotune' remark, but the vocals are out of pitch enough to be noticeable the entire way through. My girlfriend, after I showed her the mix, remarked on the vocals sounding painful. That's without me having said anything. So I think in a style where the female vocal is so clean and prominent, the pitching really has to be spot-on. If it were down to me, I'd likely spend some time on autotune's graphic mode for any final mix of this track.

EDIT: Do you recall how you managed to get so much cymbal in the snare track? If you listen to my mix, where I use 100% natural snare, you can hear cymbal action whenever the snare is hit. Was the mic aimed in the direction away from the drummer?

@Audiohile: Sorry if I offended anyone by the 'hours of autotune' remark, but the vocals are out of pitch enough to be noticeable the entire way through. My girlfriend, after I showed her the mix, remarked on the vocals sounding painful.

The writing approach on that song was supposed to make you feel that it was a painful song... kinda pitchy, emotional if you will...

Also, I'm not awesome at getting people to give their best performances and we were rushed to get it done... I haven't developed that part yet, lol... its just the way i do it... I go in, play it likes its supposed to be played and thats it... then again, I play guitar... so... lol.

EDIT: Do you recall how you managed to get so much cymbal in the snare track?

I do know how I managed that... beginners luck! lol.

On a side note, I know what I like in mixes and as far as how an instrument sounds... I just dont know how to get it yet... trial and error... and error and error... lol.

man I gotta know a little info about that snare sound! that thing hits just right.

+1

are they the Slate Samples?... I listened to them again on my new HS80s... they are teH r0xorZ!!! I'm definitely getting them once I finger out Drumagog... it's weird... the fucking thing has a delay on when it starts triggering and doesn't stop until I bypass it, even if the audio isnt playing anymore...:erk:

All the reverb in the snare is coming from the original snare provided. The cymbals were pretty loud in it so I gated it to like 5ms so all you hear is a loud pop when the snare hits. Then I compressed and clipped, then added a ton of reverb. That is mixed about 50% with one of Slate's samples, sent to a group, then compressed and clipped again.