Anyone up for remixing/remastering a song or two? ...PART 2 !!!

Holy crap that's a really drastic low pass on what I've always considered to be the most brilliant/bright sounding element in a rock mix. That's cool man, cheers for sharing.

it's supposedly an old Andy Wallace trick. He's said to have stated numerous times he has always struggled with OHs.

I usually don't do it, but it worked out for me this time, haha.

That's cool. I gave it a shot just before and it seems to work in a way. Cutting out the high overtones just leaves the lush, meaty cymbal sounds. Could be some use for it in the future...

Btw.. Andy Snare + Freeverb = match made in heaven.

That's cool. I gave it a shot just before and it seems to work in a way. Cutting out the high overtones just leaves the lush, meaty cymbal sounds. Could be some use for it in the future...

Btw.. Andy Snare + Freeverb = match made in heaven.
You used Andys snare?! Sounds way better, IMHO

I'll be too busy to fiddle more with this for the next few days.
I post a "story so far" for your amusement...at YouSendIt 'cos I can't FTP from here.

Kicked roughly into shape. Vocals need some tuning I think, and sorting to separate channels (mostly all jammed into the same 'pressor ATM - ugleeee!). Humanizing to be done on drum samples...

I tried to take some of the strain out of the vocals, and get the guitar palm-mutes to come out and play. Whaddaya think - am I barking up the right tree here?

Will appal you all with a final mix as and when...

http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/cjwall/BWP - CJWall.mp3

mix is more static than I'd like, but with my CPU maxing and me getting bored with printing stuff, too bad I guess :).

tried getting the kick and 2-buss comp working together to pump the mix a bit and push the song along.

'mastering' done with just throwing Masseys' L2007 on 2-buss. didn't feel like going through my usual deal, haha.

mixed ITB; pro tools.

http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/cjwall/BWP - CJWall.mp3

mix is more static than I'd like, but with my CPU maxing and me getting bored with printing stuff, too bad I guess :).

tried getting the kick and 2-buss comp working together to pump the mix a bit and push the song along.

'mastering' done with just throwing Masseys' L2007 on 2-buss. didn't feel like going through my usual deal, haha.

mixed ITB; pro tools.

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

My initial reaction was "what the fuck?!" .. but I heard a lot of great things in your mix...

<-------Impressed.:kickass:

This mix was really hard work! :lol:

I've done a mix but like most, i finish it when everyone is alseep so i cannae crank it and check the lows.

I'll post it tomorrow...

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

My initial reaction was "what the fuck?!" .. but I heard a lot of great things in your mix...

<-------Impressed.:kickass:

haha, thanks dude. there's a LOT that bothers me in it, but hey.

this was totallu different than anything else I've mixed, so thanks for posting these files for us dude! not quite metal and not quite rock, so finding that balance is tuff.

not quite metal and not quite rock, so finding that balance is tuff.

Yeah! Tell me about it... and I'm a noob, to boot!:loco:

The drums samples didnt sound like they fit to well with the music, and the bass might have been too overly comp'd... I dont know how/what to use to make her vocals sound like they do at practice... it's starting to piss me off... I think she freezes up or something in the booth... bah! Bah I say!

but other than that... I like your mix...

Yeah! Tell me about it... and I'm a noob, to boot!:loco:

The drums samples didnt sound like they fit to well with the music, and the bass might have been too overly comp'd... I dont know how/what to use to make her vocals sound like they do at practice... it's starting to piss me off... I think she freezes up or something in the booth... bah! Bah I say!

but other than that... I like your mix...

right on dude, I had the most trouble with the bass/kick. although, the hiss from the bass swelling up when it came in and out of the verses worked well, haha.

that being said, I quite liked how the vocals were layered/recorded. i don't see why so many people felt the need to tune them to hell and back on the other mix. it adds some nice human emotion to the songs.

i don't see why so many people felt the need to tune them to hell and back on the other mix. it adds some nice human emotion to the songs.

THANK YOU!!

Thats what I was going for with my mix.. I didn't want it to sound too fake, but at the same time I wanted it to sound polished... also... not having anyone out there that quite sounds like us didn't leave me much of an example to aim for...

Thanks for the confidence boost... our new music, incidentally is MUCH more aggressive, so I know how I will mix the new songs... I'll post those up here too when they're available... after we find a new drummer and a permanent bassist... :erk: ... and then after we record them...

cjwall: that's some grindy bass, what'd you do?

hm.. ley me take a listen at the session real quick... okay here's what it seems I did (hard to remember sometimes after bouncing and hiding tracks, haha).

in the final thing I uploaded, I comp'd the DI track with the EMI TG12413 and EQ'd out some of the plinky, fingery type stuff on that.

duped it and throw on izotope trash and then filtered than with digi's EQ III.

bussed those to a group and used e-channel, C4, EQ III again then then finally, L1 to ride the level through the song.

that's pretty much it. most of the EQ in the group'd buss was just for cutting away certain freq's that weren't playing along well with the kick/guitar.

cheers!
Charlie

Checked it out and its great fun to fuck around with! i'll post a mix tommorow!
Btw, CJ, what did you do to the guitars man? sound pretty bitching.. that was the only point i couldn't realy get to sit nicely..
And btw, don;t you think vocals are mixed in a bit to high, and uurr.. dry? hehe maybe some more Delays here and there, i mean when i listen to stuff like evanescence thatn stuff is holding together from delays!

hey audio partner...

here is my mix

i made a stratovarius snare with other samples as you can hear in the mix :loco: is pretty the same sound of stratovarius snare :cool: ... well about the toms, i dont have more toms on my pc cause i have to install everything again and i lost everything :( so dam!
( if anyone could give some toms samples would be awesome )

here is the link

http://download.yousendit.com/1402FE90295B50BB

cheers!

Well here's my finished version:

http://users.tpg.com.au/afiteam/audiophile_mooniemix.mp3

I finally got some time to wrap this up. The guitars gave me the most hell... I had to resort to bringing up the spectrum analyser and balancing out all those out-of-whack frequency nodes. It didn't come out great.. but hey, it is what it is. Also, didn't have time to go through autotuning all those vocal passages.