Anyone up for remixing/remastering a song or two?

@Gavin: Awesome dude, it seems those ALP5s were worth it. This mix seems like a marked improvement over the previous stuff I've heard you do, I was really surprised!

Thanks man!

Good to know it's progression and not regression!

Incidently, EVENT still haven't emailed me backin regards to my technical question! :lol:

Thanks audiophile! More people should do this. Though I've been away from this board for a bit so maybe they have and I just haven't come across them yet.

I agree, this is a great idea. I think it might also be cool to have a subforum below "Rate my mix" to include only practice ideas like this and the Hammerfall :)Puke: ) deal. I'm envisioning a place for some of us to test our hands on old things like this and get input from some more experienced ears.

I'll be trying my hand at working this out in Reaper this weekend. Hopefully I won't kill you all. :cool:

That's awesome!

but the Reversed Cymbal...

The point of them is the build up quieter and when the song kicks in, it should be a DB or two louder than the loudest peak of the cymbal so it kicks you in the baws whemn the song starts!

Heres mine:

http://www.upload.celtiaproductions.co.uk/uploads/Black_Water_Echos_mix.mp3

Its a bit compressed....but I actually think it might be my best mix so far. I think im improving week by week, however I owe you guys it if im right.

Snare might be a bit on the loud side, not bad for a days work :) :kickass:

It sound fan-fucking-tastic compared to mine... but theres a weird high pitched thing going on in the first verse...

also, it sound a bit too compressed... there pumping going on like crazy...

other than that I think it sounds great!

Yeah there is some like hissy sound during the breaks, I thought you had put that in lol.

:\ Ill do another version tommorow, im totally creamed atm haha.

Thanks though!! :worship:

Really? I thought you have to go through each node and correct it. I was curious to weather you can select the whole track and transpose its key. As you can tell ive only had a quick faff on. Is it pretty easy to use once you know how?

ahhh, the lead vox panned slightly left freak me out.

makes me nervous, haha.

sounds awesome though.

how'd you treat the guitars?

Thanks CJ. On the vocals, I copied the vocal track and panned each one 100% left and right, offsetting the two tracks from eachother about 24ms to create a stereo spread. Every time I do that, the vocals seem to shift if the image to one side. The vocals really need to come up a lot on my mix also.

For the guitars, I took out a lot of lows that were there and boosted some mids and highs with waves Q10.

Thanks CJ. On the vocals, I copied the vocal track and panned each one 100% left and right, offsetting the two tracks from eachother about 24ms to create a stereo spread. Every time I do that, the vocals seem to shift if the image to one side. The vocals really need to come up a lot on my mix also.

For the guitars, I took out a lot of lows that were there and boosted some mids and highs with waves Q10.

Yeah, it's a psycho-acoustic thing. Our brains recognize the first instance of the vocal as being louder. You need to compensate by boosting the level on the delayed copy to roughly match their perceived volume.

Alright, here's my mix. First one I've done using Reaper. That's a pretty easy to use DAW. I found some things I'd rather have from DP, but still, free is a great price. Also, the stock Plug-ins could use some work. Did this all on my PC laptop, so no other plugs. Couldn't completely eliminate that bass hiss, but two tracks (one high/one low) helped. All comments (destructive or not) welcome. Oh yeah, it's an uncompressed "AIF", sorry no mp3 (hate them).

Cheers,
Richard