anyone using a Profire 2626 with Cubase AND reamping?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
If so, can you help me out?

How do you have your routing set up in Cubase as well as the DSP mixer for the Profire?

I want to output the DI track to analog output 3 on the Profire. I have the Profire's 3/4 outputs assigned to software returns 3/4. I have the Cubase outputs assigned to outputs 3/4 as well (in the VST connections panel). However, this produces no signal.

One thing that seems odd to me is that in Cubase, the master bus is on outputs 1/2...However, the DSP mixer shows the master bus resides on "mixer out" and lists outputs 1/2 (and 3/4, 5/6, 7/8) as "software returns"...So because of the labeling differences, I am confused as to how to route the DI track out of the Profire and into the reamp device.

Can someone (or more than one) of you guys give me your routing to see if I can duplicate it?

Currently, the only way I can get signal to the reamp box is to have outputs 3/4 assigned to "mixer out" on the DSP mixer, which sends the whole mix to the reamp box. What I then do is just solo the DI track and reamp that way. But I know there has to be a more elegant/proper way to do this.

Also, am I correct in saying that the only way to avoid a feedback loop is to have the mic input muted (turned down all the way) in the DSP mixer? So to monitor, I have to monitor through Cubase? This is what I've found so far...

I usually use input 1, output 8 to avoid confusion.
So I add a mono out in cubase and set it to analog out #8.

Router setting:

Analog 1-2 = Mixer out
Analog 7-8 = Software Return
(3-4 and 5-6 are irrelevant in this case but 3-4 is set to mixer out and 5-6 isn't assigned)
Active input ports = Analog 1-8 active
Active software returns = all active

Mixer:

Channel 1 = Analog in 1 + Mute (I'll monitor within cubase)
I use Channels 17-18 as main software returns (1-2) panned hard left-right.

I hope it helps.

You should be able to do it alright. I did it using output 3 set up like you mentioned. I'm not at my system now so I cant check, but you definitely dont need to send the whole mix to the output. Have you added an extra mono output in Cubase and selected the DI track to this mono out?

Edit, nevermind, been beaten to it lol

So I add a mono out in cubase and set it to analog out #8.

Router setting:

Analog 1-2 = Mixer out
Analog 7-8 = Software Return
(3-4 and 5-6 are irrelevant in this case but 3-4 is set to mixer out and 5-6 isn't assigned)

Mixer:

I hope it helps.

This makes complete sense to me, and it seems to be how I had mine, just substitute analog 7/8 for 3/4 and the mono out in Cubase to 3 instead of 8.

I'll try your setup tonight. thanks!

You should be able to do it alright. I did it using output 3 set up like you mentioned. I'm not at my system now so I cant check, but you definitely dont need to send the whole mix to the output. Have you added an extra mono output in Cubase and selected the DI track to this mono out?

Edit, nevermind, been beaten to it lol

Yes, I currently have a seperate mono output set up for output 3 in Cubase (stereo 3/4 works too), but unless the DSP mixer's 3/4 outputs are set to "mixer out", the signal doesn't pass.

If anyone else has any advice or comments, feel free to share. All of this is making me rethink my steps.

thanks guys.

Nate, what Burny posted is correct, this is how I reamp with my 2626 and Cubase as well :) In fact this is the only issue I personally have had with the 2626 is the confusing layout of the 2626's DSP mixer GUI and labeling. Ryan (Catharsis) walked me through it, since at the time he had one as well, and once I learned it actually became somewhat tolerable. IMO it's still kinda goofy but at least it makes more sense to me now than at first.

Cool, thanks.

To be clear, doing it the way Burny wrote allows you to hear the miked playback (monitoring through Cubase) AND the mix through your monitors?

Side question...You guys run your monitors off the 1/2 outputs usually? I run my monitors off 5/6 and 7/8 to prevent the master volume from affecting the level of the headphone outputs (which have their own level controls), thus the reason I'm hesitant to change my output config.

Yes, mine is 1/2 monitors, 3/4 headphones, 7/8 is for reamping. Yes, simply plugging the mic in and making sure the channel isn't muted in the DSP mixer will let you hear it through the monitors with your mix - this is how I reamp as well, gotta hear the mix it's going in before I commit! haha

Well, I mute the channel in the DSP mixer and activate monitoring in cubase which is basically the same except I can control the recorded signal level vs the playback level directly in cubase mixer but I have to deal with added latency.
1-2 monitors, 3-4 headphones here too.

Well, I mute the channel in the DSP mixer and activate monitoring in cubase which is basically the same except I can control the recorded signal level vs the playback level directly in cubase mixer but I have to deal with added latency.

Yeah I've tried that myself too but the latency is way too irritating for me to deal with. So what I do is monitor the raw signal through the DSP and try to get the tone as close as possible with mic placement and amp settings. Then when I think I'm close enough, I reamp like 30-45 seconds worth and then try to see what post processing I'm going to need.

UPDATE

I've set it up exactly like Burny posted and I get no sound to the amp...

So I add a mono out in cubase and set it to analog out #8. DO YOU MEAN SOFTWARE RETURN 8? THERE IS NO ANALOG OUT LISTED IN THE CUBASE CONNECTIONS WINDOW

Router setting:

Analog 1-2 = Mixer out
Analog 7-8 = Software Return WHAT SOFTWARE RETURN DO YOU SELECT HERE?

Mixer:

The only thing he didn't list is what software return is selected on analog 7/8 and he said he set up a mono out in cubase set to analog 8 out, which mine only lists software returns...