Question about monitoring in Profire 2626

xmortumx

Jun 17, 2008
Hello guys... I just got my Profire in the mail, hooked it up and installed drivers and its up and running but i got a question... why is it that the profire is always on monitoring the inputs? Like say i plug guitar directly to interface... i can always here the clean DI behind the amp sim. I remember that in my firepod I had to change the playback from input to mixer and i would only just hear the playback of the daw, but with the profire i can hear the playback of the daw and at the same time i hear the input's.

Do I have to change something?

Also Im planning on grabbing a Behringer ADA 8000.. to connect it to through ADAT I will only need one ADAt cable going from the ADA800 output into the profire's ADAt in right?

Hello guys... I just got my Profire in the mail, hooked it up and installed drivers and its up and running but i got a question... why is it that the profire is always on monitoring the inputs? Like say i plug guitar directly to interface... i can always here the clean DI behind the amp sim. I remember that in my firepod I had to change the playback from input to mixer and i would only just hear the playback of the daw, but with the profire i can hear the playback of the daw and at the same time i hear the input's.

Do I have to change something?

Also Im planning on grabbing a Behringer ADA 8000.. to connect it to through ADAT I will only need one ADAt cable going from the ADA800 output into the profire's ADAt in right?

You have to do some fucking about in the profire setup as it defaults to monitoring the hardware inputs aswell as the DAW returns. Can't remember exactly what though. I think maybe you have to just pull down the faders in the mixer of the PF setup window. And setup the outputs to be fed from the software returns in the other window.

Have a look through the manual, and if it's still giving you shit tomorrow i'll take some screenshots to show how mine is setup.

As far as the ADA goes you can just use one cable from the ADA to the PF and get the PF to sync to the ADA via ADAT.
Or you can get another cable going from the PF output to the ADA input and get the ADA to sync to the PF.
I would expect the PF to possibly have a better clock than the ADA, though I'm not sure if you'd really notice much, if any difference in audio quality.

One of the settings is set to "Mixer-Out" by default. Change it to another output. Also, definitely read the manual; it helped me out a ton.

As far as the ADA goes you can just use one cable from the ADA to the PF and get the PF to sync to the ADA via ADAT.
Or you can get another cable going from the PF output to the ADA input and get the ADA to sync to the PF.
I would expect the PF to possibly have a better clock than the ADA, though I'm not sure if you'd really notice much, if any difference in audio quality.

Okay so I got the ADAT cable but im not getting them to sync.

So what I do is... I run just one ADAT cable from the ADA out to the 2626 adat in. I set the ADA as slave, but from the DSP mixer i dont get anything.. so how do i make them sync.

can anyone help me and give me instructions?

Btw I was reading up.. and some one said that you will need 2 ADAT cables to sync... is that correct?

No.
It depends on what you wanna do. If I connect another device only for recording, I use an adat cable (Profire IN to Other device OUT, because with adat you have to transfer the signal from the other device to your main interface) and a clock cable (with bnc connectors). If you wanna use the profire's internal clock you have to syncronize the other device so connect profire sync out to other device sync in (viceversa if you wanna use an external clock

hmm okay so what i want to do is use the profire as my main interface but at the same time use the ADA8000 to have 8 extra channels... so that in total I have 16 pres

Yeah, I had to use two ADAT cables to get my 8Pre to sync with my 2626. It wouldn't work with just one... Whereas before, I had the 8Pre and Behringer ADA8000 setup and only ever used one ADAT cable from the ADA8000 to the 8Pre's ADAT IN.

To stop hearing the input I just open the 2626 DSP mixer software and mute the channel. It only mutes it from monitoring.

software return 1/2

what i did is i made my monitors go out 5/6 and do master controll for only that one. that way the headphones had their own master

The volume still has it's own master, even if you have headphones and master as 1/2, like I do. The master knob on the interface controls monitor level and the headphone 1 controls the headphone 1 level.

With my 002, I just connect adat cable from the 002 out, to the 2626 in. The set the 002 to be the master, and the profire to get its sync from adat a. Works fine. But I only use the 002 for extra recording inputs; don't use it for monitoring.

Anybody know the optimal way to setup two sets of monitors AND a headphone amp (i.e. routing, etc)... For some reason, I can't seem to get all three to output the same thing at the same time :-/

Anybody know the optimal way to setup two sets of monitors AND a headphone amp (i.e. routing, etc)... For some reason, I can't seem to get all three to output the same thing at the same time :-/

Assuming these connections on the back of the 2626 interface:

A Monitors > Output 1/2
B Monitors > Output 3/4
Headphone Amp > Output 5/6

(All of this is found under the "Router" tab of the ProFire Mixer software, focusing on Analog Out 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6)

There are couple different ways you could go about it. If you don't want/need to do custom headphone mixes, set Analog Out 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6 to "Mixer Out" or "SW Return 1/2" in the Mixer software. The former being anything going in or out of the interface, the latter being only the audio from your DAW's stereo output. I use "Mixer Out" because I use my interface/monitors not only for my DAW, but also for TV, XBox, web browser, all computer audio, etc.

If you want to do custom headphone mixes, set Analog Out 1/2 and 3/4 to "Mixer Out" or "SW Return 1/2," and set Analog Out 5/6 to "SW Return 5/6" in the Mixer software. You would then just make a 2nd stereo output bus in your DAW and set it's outputs to 5/6, then send anything you want inside your DAW to that output bus for your headphone mix. You can also use 3/4 (and "SW Return 3/4") if you would like, but to avoid confusion it's probably better to stick with 5/6 and "SW Return 5/6." Up to you, of course. If you have it set to "SW Return 3/4" in the Mixer software for Output 5/6, it will still work, just easy to get mixed up.

Fair warning: you need to set up a way to control the level of both sets of monitors before playing any audio through them after setting this up :lol: Either the output bus fader in your DAW, or enable (under "Settings" tab in Mixer software) your master vol knob on the 2626 to control both Analog Outs, or if you have a monitor controller, etc. Also, even though Headphone Out 1/2 and 3/4 have knobs on the front of the interface, they do not control the Analog Outs 1/2 and 3/4 on the back (regardless of the fact they are receiving the same output signals), they are independent and only work for the front connections.

Let me know if you have any other questions.