Appearance of Nothing- All Gods are Gone

I've had this album for about a week now and probably given it close to 20 spins. And i love it as i also loved their debut "Wasted Time". Swanö's and Graves' contributions is like the icing on an already great tasting cake. :)

Only negative thing i can say, it clocks in at 48 mins, i wish it was longer.

I've always thought the vocals were part of the unique sound. No problem with them. I was surprised to hear growls, but had no problems with them.

After one complete listen, I think it's a great album. No idea yet on long term replay value of course, but enjoyed the hell out of it the first time.

This album may or may not rule (although with Swano involves, signs point to 'yes').....but I've collected several more great facepalm pics for my collection, so this thread officially rules! :heh:

...or more accurately, grunt vocals belong with sucky music.

facepalm_implied.jpg

I mean I understand that they may seem out of place in context with the entirety of the music. I don't necessarily like the growls in this particular band, but the fact of the matter is I can appreciate growls/screams in my metal...but no this band doesn't cut it for me, yet I find them not 'sucky' because of it.

Have I said lately that I don't like grunt vocals?

I could try to defend myself here since I wasn't totally clear in my statement earlier. All grunt vocals do not suck equally. I am very fond of Opeth, Epica, Mercenary and many others that use "the growlies". I wish that bands that use grunt vocals would just plain outright suck since I don't care for them. It would make it much easier to ignore a "Growlie band" as soon as the vocals pop up.
I hated "Blackwater Park" with a passion until I sat and listened to it. While I do not care for that style of vox, the music drew me in, so in saying that...

" Grunt vocals belong with sucky music so I instantly know it sucks and can disregard"

Commence abuse, gentleman

Commence abuse, gentleman

How are you, gentleman?!?! All your bass are belong to us!! :)

And yes, Blackwater Park is as good a 'gateway drug' as any for growly vox. I premiered a couple of songs off it at ProgPower USA 1 over the PA for precisely that reason. :saint:

Suddenly I'm thinking of Alice In Chains.
Can't imagine why.
:heh:

i just finished listening to the cd and was very happy with what i heard. i think they have improved tenfold, i love this cd !!!

Didn't love it after the 1st spin, after 20+ spins, love it. Definately will make my top 20 of the year. Loving it more than their 1st. Great release. Actually took out Everygrey to hear it for the 25th time. Well done, though don't end your next cd on an instramental.

Didn't love it after the 1st spin, after 20+ spins, love it. Definately will make my top 20 of the year. Loving it more than their 1st. Great release. Actually took out Everygrey to hear it for the 25th time. Well done, though don't end your next cd on an instramental.

Better than how they ended the last album... I hated that last track. I rarely do not have a complete album of anything on my iPod, but I deleted that track.

I enjoyed this musically, but the vocals are horrible IMO. The vocal melodies did nothing for me and I just don't like the clean vocalists voice.