Applying for studio work

jesterroot4

Jul 5, 2007
Croydon (south london) UK
i'm going to be finishing my college music tech course in the next week, and while i'm not really expecting to get anywhere straight away, i'm going to try and apply to some local studios for work. i know of a well known studio in the area that are always interested in having new engineers to be called when needed, so i feel its worth applying.

I was just wondering if it was normal to ask the studio for some time to look around and check out their set up? I would have thought it would be but I don't know want to look like a newb if i don't know something I should. plus, they run pro-tools and a DAW that i'v not really seen or even heard about.

I'm a Cubase SX3 user.

cheers in advance:kickass:

Taking a studio tour is more for clients and such as far as i've seen, if a possible intern tried to get into the one I'm working at they most likely woldn't be let in. If they have a website I would check that out to get a feel for what they have there. you should be able to find a pro tools command list somewhere on the web, i woud go into cubase and change all the hotkeys to resemble the protools ones so when you do get on a pro tools rig it won't be so much of a shock to the system.

Hey man... I'm a former SX3 user, gone Pro Tools. It's a breeze man. If they are using HD, you'll be in good shape. If they are running an LE setup there are some things you'll want to consider in changing over. Go to www.digidesign.com
You can actually learn a TON just from the website, and believe or not the most comprehensive way to learn Pro Tools is by simply reading the manual, which you can download there.
Not to mention, there are a lot of people here, myself included, that will be more than happy to help you with advice and tips.

get an mbox, learn pro tools inside and out;
and get good at making tea

I'll drink tea in the winter sometimes, but it just doesn't have the balls or taste like coffee, unless I'm doing something wrong. I don't see how you guys can drink it so much.

tea in england is way better than in north america ive been here for a year now and used to think tea was just for queers but man the shit they got here is good im fukin hooked on it im gona have to ship some back with me when i leave. in fact i think im gona go make myself some tea right now.

The term "tea boy" is generally used for studio "runners" (shitkickers) in this neck of the woods.

Flood apparently got his nickname due to his overzealous tea making activities.

tea in england is way better than in north america ive been here for a year now and used to think tea was just for queers but man the shit they got here is good im fukin hooked on it im gona have to ship some back with me when i leave.

Hahaha, one of the best single sentences I've read in awhile :lol:

And Sparkyness...who's Flood? :)

there was also a less successful gofer called 'drought'

Guess why!!

The best tea is either Yorkshire tea, milk and two sugars.
or some indonesian shit which i had once which tasted like it had milk and two sugars in it; but didnt

Quite partial to a Japanese green tea now and then - massive caffeine hit if you can get the good stuff. I'm a coffee man though. I love my Gaggia and grinder more than life itself.

In terms of tea - the most crazy shit I drank is "Mate" which an Argentinian friend hooked me up with - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage). Tough to get here as customs tend to think it's some other kind of South American product :D

I'd say becoming a Mate making expert would certainly get your foot in the door in some studios.

int_oarghwli1073572i.jpg