Arch Enemy Live CD

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Hey everyone,

Here is a translated extract from a review of the show ARCH ENERMY did on February, 27th in Paris, taken from Rock Hard France :

"The atmosphere becomes more tensed when AE comes on stage : the band is recording a live album, and any error could be lethal. First constation : the sound is enormous, which is not surprising since it's Anthems of Rebellion's producer, Andy Sneap himself, that's behind the faders..."

Cool, I guess Andy is also going to mix it... Can't wait to hear that ! Was the show filmed too for a DVD ?

yeah I wasn't doing front of house, That was Dave Nut Brown who I think does a great job. I was just recording. It's not for an actual live album as such, but possible footage may be used somewhere in the future as it was filmed by french tv, so they wanted the audio to be recorded seperately, hence me being there.

Dave Nut Brown ? Never heard that name before, and can't find anything on Google... What has he done before ? Is he a live technician exclusively or a studio producer too ? And by the way, do you sometimes do "front of house" and on which occasions ?

Daves known in metal circles, he's just a live guy/tour manager. He's done Cradle, Opeth etc. I actually toured with him back in 89. I used to do live stuff, worked on the Cults last euro tour in 94 doing Mother Tongue, also used to be in house guy at Rock City in Nottingham for a while. Done Exodus a few times also, Dynamo etc.

I have a mobile rig with splitters/desk etc that I use over here. With something like the paris show it was all on the cheap(ha) so I took a pro tools rig out to paris and hooked it up to the direct outs on the FOH desk. I made sure I recorded DI's also so we could reamp later. That always helps big time, gets rig of all the stage spill. Obviously doing it that way isn't a great option as I'll have all the dynamics for FOH on my tracks, but we just worked together, maybe backed a few things off a bit and you can make it work.

With regards to my exact role, it's to press record then drink the bands beer before they get back to the dressing room.

[With regards to my exact role, it's to press record then drink the bands beer before they get back to the dressing room.]​

That's well earned money for sure ! :D

Concerning the reamping, what hardware do you use ? A Reamp Box, a reversed DI Box, something else ?

About the Opeth DVD, I now better understand why the sound is so great ! So how does it work exactly ? The sounds goes from the guitar into the DI Box, and then is splitted in two inside of the box and goes to the guitar amp and to the mix board ? I guess this method is also better if there are any mistakes, because they are easier to correct afterwards... :cool:

Oh and for my linguistic information (if I'm ever to work with english or american musicians...), is FOH (Front of House) the real term for what the audience is listening to ? And how do you call the board on the side taking care of the wedges ?

Genius Gone Insane said:
Are there a lot of mistakes during live recordings? I've always wondered that... I would guess maybe two or three per guitarist during a show, even when recording.
Most bands do shitloads of overdubs in the studio to correct mistakes.

sorry I didnt see the re amp question

I'll record a clean DI as well as distorted, after the effects but before any distortion etc, straight from gtr.
I'll then feed this through a re amp box back into an amp at the studio. If you need to do any corrections, you can simply pop to where ever, plug them straight into PT with a DI, use Amp Farm to monitor, and then just paste the corrected DI part onto the gig DI, re amp and there's no change in tone.

With the Opeth and AE stuff, we've kept it as live as possible. Only when there's been real problems like a wireless system messing up or bad tuning have we bothered to fix it.

Andy Sneap said:
sorry I didnt see the re amp question

I'll record a clean DI as well as distorted, after the effects but before any distortion etc, straight from gtr.
I'll then feed this through a re amp box back into an amp at the studio. If you need to do any corrections, you can simply pop to where ever, plug them straight into PT with a DI, use Amp Farm to monitor, and then just paste the corrected DI part onto the gig DI, re amp and there's no change in tone.

With the Opeth and AE stuff, we've kept it as live as possible. Only when there's been real problems like a wireless system messing up or bad tuning have we bothered to fix it.

what do you mean when you refer " a re amp box" ? is it some sort of d.i. box or something else ?