Are Metallica Set To Take Over...Again?

• Thread starter King Purple Rainbow
  • Start date
Originally posted by King Purple Rainbow
GOD HATES US ALL should've been called GOD HATES THIS CD!
I was kind of disappointed in that album title. I have no objection to Slayer's early sophomoric Satanism, like the classic Hell Awaits or Black Magic, but they've been going through a progression, from singing about Satan and Hell to questioning whether God is an alien (Divine Intervention.) It seems like "God Hates Us All" is kind of regression, but I guess it's just me. I liked the dark philosophical side they started to develop with the Seasons and Divine albums - and then it just disappeared!!

I don't think their philosophy in Satanism or anything like that is entirely whole-hearted. I think it's more for shock value. Whereas Metallica songs seem to come from the heart, even if they aren't always perfomed that way.

Of course it's not whole-hearted! I think Tom Araya is just a guy with a solid brain in his head who likes to smoke pot and happened to end up singing and playing fucking amazing bass. What I meant by "regression" was that it seems that the intellectual side of Araya, King and Hanneman really started to come out of the woodwork on Seasons and Divine Intervention, then there was a long hiatus (highlighted by the amazing, incredible Undisputed Attitude) followed by two albums that, despite their musical complexity and flawless delivery lacked some of the humorous, but wisened philosophical explorations of the previous work. 213, whle comically graphic and descriptive, is a chilling psychological examination of a serial killer/cannibal. We have to laugh and headbang, but I find myself thinking at the same time, if that's possible. If that's possible then Slayer did it - for a while - and then they stopped.

The lyrics on GHUA are without depth. Sure they're aggressive and work well in the thrash/death context, but I had come to expect more from Slayer.

As for Metallica they're new music has actually GAINED a great deal of lyrical strength. Metallica, and particularly James Hettfield, have become adept songwriters while, perhaps unfortunately, abandoning their classic thrash chugfest. Still, there are some really strong words on both Load and ReLoad, both much stronger and more ballsy insights into Hettfield's mind. Not an altogether twisted mind, as he would have like you to believe in the AJFA days, but a mind that has seen a great deal of pain. James is a master, to this day, of reaching in and grabbing hold of that pain and sending it throatward. All this despite a few tracks that kind of made me do this...

:eek:

And there's more to come.

He's been through alot in the past year, and I think we'll see it reflected in the lyrics as well as a refreshed sound.

Originally posted by King Purple Rainbow
And there's more to come.

He's been through alot in the past year, and I think we'll see it reflected in the lyrics as well as a refreshed sound.
People have this totally unfounded belief that when metal bands get to thirty they're suddenly going to suck. Many bands, including Metallica, have proven this to be the case; most noteably Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Slayer and (yes I have to mension him twice) Ozzy. If Oz can do it and Tony and Geezer can do it at like 55 (55!!!!!) then a 40ish Metallica is certainly more than capable. Sure we might soon be seing a beergut :) on a balding Hetfield, but that sure doesn't mean he's not gonna rock!

I look forward to hearing anything that comes out of them, even the disappointments are still NEW METALLICA!!!! I don't think I could ever stop getting excited about new Metallica. :headbang:

Originally posted by Bubonic Chronic

I look forward to hearing anything that comes out of them, even the disappointments are still NEW METALLICA!!!! I don't think I could ever stop getting excited about new Metallica. :headbang:

new?

i see nothing new in metallica now!

shit on shit on shit....

piles of shit ...

oh!i can see the osbournes from here...hey!i'm here!

but they cannot hear me

they have shit in their ears too!

:lol:

Originally posted by Bubonic Chronic
Why don't you try buying one of his CD's? There's this new thing called a JOB where you get MONEY - look into it!

first:i have a job!

second:in case you don't know copy protected cds have lesser audio quality than a normal cd

some cd player don't read them because thei are compressed files

no one with a minimum amount of brain spend 20 euros (for you 20 dollars)for a second choice product.

third: i don't waste my money to shit like last ozzy osbourne cd!

stop!:mad:

:heh:

Originally posted by Soilworker
Fine... don't buy it then. Don't even talk about. It's pointless. And learn how to speak English.

:D ;)

i talk about what i want!

also in my broken english!

:devil:

are you sure you want to buy cds with compressed audio?

it is not pointless i think!

:confused:

Heh. Probably yeh... I didn't know that write protection lessens the quality. Thanks for that.

Know of any other CD's that have it?

And never diss the god Ozzy... heh.. :D

I agree. His new stuff may not be PARANOID, but it still puts to shame a lot of Nu Metal garbage.

It is not Nu Metal!!!

Ozzy has a great guitarist, Zakk Wylde, who knows how to play his instrument. Nu Metal doesn't.

There's no rap, and it doesn't sound like nails going down a chalkboard.;)

DON'T ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME!!!

You know I speak the truth! Ozzy still makes music that matters!