Are Opeth really that good??

YaYo

whendaydescends.com
May 6, 2001
lol

ok we all know that their song writing ability and everything is as good as it gets.
but what about their talent on their respective instruments? im talking speed/techniques/accuracy/etc...

i mean theres plenty of guitarists who are better than both mikael and peter, i rarely find myself saying "how the heck did he play that?".

And maybe a drummer out there can inform me about how good the drumming is? Seems damn fucking good yet i never hear him mentioned when talking about the best drummers..
And same for bass?

Im not saying they arent damn amazing, but they arent amongst the best in terms of instrument technicallity are they?

or am i just plain wrong?

I dont like Opeth beacause of their playing techniques, I like them because of their musical talent. How they play there songs, how they can play a song with so much feeling. Thats way more important than speed.

I like Opeth because of their playing techniques as well as their ability to write good stuff. You can not judge proficiency in an intrument solely based on speed :)

There are a great bunch of superb jazz/blues guitarists that are pretty slow (even at their max speed), but they've got this feeling and understanding for their intrument that still makes them kick most metal-guitarists' asses without any problems at all.

the drumming as a single aspect of opeth doesn't whip me off my chair... yet when it blends with the other instruments it creates an atmosphere rarely to be seen (as you may have noticed already ;) ). and therefore the drummer is a good one. he knows to restrain himself in moody passages and allows the music to get more intense. this is a problem that many drummers i met can't deal with. for them it's all about speed, technique and odd time-signatures, but it's the music as a whole. surely the drummer can play quite fast and has some technical ability, but if i would only look at this, there are way better drummers around (speed: nicholas barker, gene hoglan | techniques: meshuggah-drummer, johnny rabb, etc.)
compared to jazz... i respect the abilities of jazz drummers, but the music still sounds bad to me. other way round with opeth.

Yeah, Opeth are good with their instruments but not masters.

Anyways I think no one listens to them for their playing abilities, more for their songwriting and composing abilities.

I said this in another thread, but instrument by instrument, none of the members are "the best" - for example - Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen - phenomenal guitarists.

But, Opeth the band - that's what distinguishes them from the rest. It's all about the song writing - the style - the emotion. Put it all together - just listen. It's all about the complete package. It's why we all love Opeth so much. Whether these guys are genuises or not, who knows? But the final product speaks for itself. When music can incite the emotion that Opeth does, it just goes beyond explanation. I could talk all day about good bands, good songs, blah blah blah. But I find it difficult to compare any to Opeth.

If I need to explain myself anymore, you really aren't true Opethians.

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
lol

i mean theres plenty of guitarists who are better than both mikael and peter, i rarely find myself saying "how the heck did he play that?".

Im not saying they arent damn amazing, but they arent amongst the best in terms of instrument technicallity are they?

or am i just plain wrong?

Comment to that quote above

Would Opeth be better if they played some Erotomamania kind of leads. And how can you if they could but don´t want to play that
kind of leads on Åpeth albums. Would those solos even be relevant to they´re music...

They have become my favorite band not because that they are considered the BEST musicians in music, but because of their song writing abilities coupled with their skillmanship as musicians.

IMO

I don't care how skilled they are with their instruments. I don't judge any band by their level of technical skill. If I listen to them and I like how they sound, they're a good band in my book. Opeth's music is some of the best I've heard thus far, so I like them.

To be honest, to me none of the Opeth members stands out in his technical ability on their instruments, but it matters little cause the amazing composing talent they have it makes up for it one thousand times.

There's a passion in there!

No, I'm not talking romancing, but it's borderline IMO. Sometimes I tell myself, "No. There's no way they put that much feeling into it. It's just me." (That's post goose bumps. ;)) You can read so much feeling into the music sometimes it's crazy.

Metalman: When music can incite the emotion that Opeth does, it just goes beyond explanation...a little latter...If I need to explain myself anymore, you really aren't true Opethians.

Wooooooooooe! You better watch where you point that thing (comment) mister. :p :D :lol:

"She laughing and weeping at once: "take me away"."

"I beg to differ...I think they ARE masters of their instruments, and thats why they don't need to rely on flash to prove it..."

Agreed!;)

Maybe so and its admirable that they dont indulge in it. But from a strict view to the technique shown in the Opeth cds they are not, granted this is the only thing i have to make an opinion if they have show more talent or anything good for them.