Are Peavey cabs that bad?

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
Hey guys, I just found a great deal on a 6505 with a matching cab and I'm really thinking of getting it! But I've heard so many people trash talk the peavey cabs, so I wondering, whats the real scoop on 'em?

Like, I am fully aware it won't be as good as a Mesa/v30 or a huge ENGL cab but that's no reason for them to be bad! I'll be recording it alot, so that's a factor too.

But I guess my question is, are they bad on their own, or are they just bad in comparison to Mesa/Engl/etc?

They sound different. I have had ok luck with them in the past. Generally I have found them to be a little darker than other cabs-- less high end extension etc. That can make them less articulate or less fizzy depending on how you want to look at it.
I definitely prefer mesa cabs to the peavey stuff but I will also say that I have chosen ultra cabs over 1960a's before too.

Never recorded one but played through plenty of Peavey cabs live. Never really got a satisfying sound of any of them. Usually quite dark, muffled, not much definition...

You guys who are saying the Peavey cabs sound dark, was that with stock speakers or no?

I hear the stock speakers in Peaveys are terrible, but that's about it.

Ive got a 5150 cab in my storage room I was gonna get out and put the g12t75's out of my 2x12 in and grab a pair of v30's, good idea?

You guys who are saying the Peavey cabs sound dark, was that with stock speakers or no?

i hear a lot of people trash on the stock sheffields in the 5150/6505 cabs...but i also hear that those speakers were specifically designed to match up with the 5150, so that could be why they sound like ass with anything else plugged into them...

either that, or they're just really not that good

The cabs are built alright, the speakers are just different. I have a XXX cab and an old front loaded Peavey, and with V30's in them, they don't sound bad at all.

I highly doubt that seeing as it was produced by Nordstrom. I'd be inclined to say that album is an Engl cab

Andy Sneap said:
One thing I liked about the Engl actually was the lack of fizz, compared to the 5150 on Wages, but from what I remember, they used Peavey cabs (ouch) on that, so just goes to show there's no rules.

But anyway, I'll go down to the shop today and talk to them and see if I can't get something like a 1960 cab for around the same price. Maybe even an ENGL standard with v60s. I guess any of those would be alot better?

And I am not looking to spend all that money on an amp+cab and not be 100% satisfied. And I won't be able to switch the speakers in it either, at least not for a long time, so that isn't really an option either.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

Hmm, really have not heard good things about V60s for recording - they're supposed to be super-middy (even more than V30s)

...but I will also say that I have chosen ultra cabs over 1960a's before too.

It doesn't take much to beat out a 1960a IMO to begin with :lol:

Can't stand those...

On-topic, sort of, my friend purchased a Peavey XXX cab a bit over a month ago and it sounded RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME with the Bugera 333 :headbang:

~006

Most of the time I guess... I don't know shit about Peavey cabs and I never bothered to much on inspecting them closely before a show.

I've played mostly through Peavey cabs with the old logo on them so far. And IIRC some had these stupid deep cavities for the input jack on the back...