Are Peavey cabs that bad?

Fredrik uses a EVH MkIII cab all the time ;)

Gave this an intensive test ride last month (along with the corresponding head) and I wasn't too impressed --> Mudcity... Got better tones out of the head with a Marshall 1960 and a Mesa OS.

Well, it's not a Peavey cab...

Yup, EVH is owned by Fender, and the 5150III cab is more expensive than Peavey cabs and has Celestions in it (some model made specifically for the cab that I think is pretty similar to the greenback)

EDIT: Yep, it is

But ridiculously awesome just in the room, or also under a mic?

Just in the room, he only bought it for live shows. It's pretty light-weight actually so that was a bonus. I have a Mesa OS for recording and he's well aware of how good it sounds under a mic ;)

~006

Yup, EVH is owned by Fender, and the 5150III cab is more expensive than Peavey cabs and has Celestions in it (some model made specifically for the cab that I think is pretty similar to the greenback)

EDIT: Yep, it is

That would explain the lack of punch I thought it had...

And FWIW I don't think Fender "owns" EVH... it's more like a production/distribution/licensing deal.

Just in the room, he only bought it for live shows. It's pretty light-weight actually so that was a bonus. I have a Mesa OS for recording and he's well aware of how good it sounds under a mic ;)

~006

I hear ya, I'm just saying I wouldn't praise a cab (especially when advising a potential purchaser) until I'd heard it mic'ed up

B/c there are a lot of questions about recorded sounds I'll point you here. I don't think this tone turned out perfectly but I also think it turned out well above "terrible." All of the guitars are 5150 or XXX through a peavey ultra cab.
For comparison here is a track w/ the same players, guitars and heads through a mesa OS (different mics though).

I gotta say Egan, I honestly have always preferred the guitars on Dismantling Devotion, they just have more bite IMO. Of course they were from different sessions and as I recall different mics were used, but yeah, just wanted to put that out there. Lost to the Living still sounds great though!

And of course, who knows what fairy dust JB sprinkled on the tracks once they were in his hands!

I gotta say Egan, I honestly have always preferred the guitars on Dismantling Devotion, they just have more bite IMO. Of course they were from different sessions and as I recall different mics were used, but yeah, just wanted to put that out there. Lost to the Living still sounds great though!

And of course, who knows what fairy dust JB sprinkled on the tracks once they were in his hands!

57+609silver on the peavey and 57+i5 on the mesa.
I like both tones for different reasons. Really my point is (and with my 1960 comment earlier) that it's common (popular?) to hate peavey cabs but all I can do is shrug my shoulders and point at that recording which seems to be generally well respected.
Granted I chose the mesa once we had one but it's hard to be disappointed with what the peavey gave us for half the price.
YMMV

B/c there are a lot of questions about recorded sounds I'll point you here. I don't think this tone turned out perfectly but I also think it turned out well above "terrible." All of the guitars are 5150 or XXX through a peavey ultra cab.

Yep, that's just how it sounds. Not bad, but...

I hear ya, I'm just saying I wouldn't praise a cab (especially when advising a potential purchaser) until I'd heard it mic'ed up

Right, which is why I explained it was for live use :p I've mic'ed up a few Peavey cabs in my day, nothing special. I've been spoiled by Mesa's Recto cabs.

~006

well the real test is what do the pro's use with the peavey heads? thats why i went for my 1960, its all around general for metal used by lots of bands with the 6505 / 5150

Bit of an old thread but figured it'd be better than starting a new one.

A guy in my area has put out the word that he wants to swap his 5150 cab for a decent 2X12. I've a Marshall 1936 2X12 w/ gt 75's that I use for band rehearsals and am thinking of doing the swap. What do you guys think? I have a few other cabs with gt 75's, V30's and greenbacks already so I'll still have those.

Yeah; I used one again recently, and quite liked it....
The bottom end can be a bit flappy; when i used it on some big radio rock sorta stuff; there was a lot of "wump"

I had to use a multiband compressor; on the low mids (sound familiar?)

Used it with a vox night train for more Indie rock stuff; and it was awesome!

I had 2 peavey cabs, 5150 and triple xxx and the 5150 was a bit fizzy imo but the triple xxx pretty good, its no mesa cab but nice and tight sounding and well built. The only problem I ever had with it was it could sound a bit brittle when recording it but I much prefer a triple XXX cab to any marshall or blackstar.